FCS Playoff Expansion

Discussion in 'American Football Talk' started by Rids, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

[align=center][​IMG][/align]

It's official. The FCS is expanding their playoff format to 24 schools. Now on one hand it's an unique thing because traditionally football is a once a week affair (except with our high school kids...those kids can play 3 times in 10 days).

I'm against it based on the principle that I don't want to see a school with 4 losses potentially winning a National Championship. Last year 2 schools made the current playoff format with 4 losses.

I know everybody loves the underdog story but there should be a level of excellence achieved before you reach the playoffs. It's an 11 game season, teams should be forced to have at least 9 wins. Things are tougher in the FCS because they have regional conferences but if they went back to a 8 school playoff last year it would've looked like this:

1. Sam Houston State - 11-0
    2. North Dakota State - 10-1
    3. Georgia Southern - 9-2
    4. Montana - 9-2
    5. Northern Iowa - 9-2
    6. Lehigh - 10-1
    7. Montana State - 9-2
    8. Towson - 9-2

Either way it finished with #1 vs #2 so some say the playoff format worked but I'd rather think of it as a wasted effort of 6 weeks to get to what could've been done with a Top 4 playoff and had better football along the way.

19 games in the FCS playoff last year and seven games saw at least a 20 point win with another four being 2 possession wins.

Going back to 2010 it was a wild affair with #3 vs #5. Although Eastern Washington was a fraud at #5 because they were co-champions in the Big Sky with Montana State and lost the tiebreaker because the Bobcats beat the Eagles. Eastern Washington had the better season overall. William & Mary held the #2 seed in the playoffs even though they had 3 losses during the season and again finished as conference co-champions with #3 Delaware.

2009 it was #1 vs #2 again in the Final.

So let's save all the grief and drop it back to a 4 school playoff or a 3 weekend 8 school set up.

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

This is still Div 1 right?

3. Rids

Rids Member

FCS = Div 1AA in the old talk.

4. Flash

Flash Member

Truly the real NCAA Div 1 Champion. Make it a 64 school tournament!!! Go big or go pro?