Ferguson Trains With Calgary Stampeders

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, May 30, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

8369471.jpg

FERGUSON TRAINS WITH CALGARY STAMPEDERS
    Fraser Caldwell, McMaster Athletics and Recreation

Fresh from the CIS East-West Bowl earlier in May, Marshall Ferguson has added another destination to his offseason plans.

The Marauder signal caller was recently invited to the training camp of the Canadian Football League's Calgary Stampeders, being designated as that team's allotted underage quarterback.

A rule mandating that CFL teams carry an under-ager through training camp was instituted two years ago to help foster Canada's young quarterbacking talent. McMaster's CIS Male Athlete of the Year, Kyle Quinlan took part in the program in its inaugural season, attending training camp with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, before receiving an actual tryout with the Montreal Alouettes in 2012.

Ferguson spoke about the opportunity he's been presented after his first day of rookie training, where he was exposed to the torrid pace of a professional camp. The “power day” structure of training camp itself is nothing new, as the Marauders routinely undergo such training days; but opening day in Calgary meant an intensive tactical session for quarterbacks, who spent a combined six hours slogging through the first week of playbook installation.

“I've been here for one day of quarterback school, and I've probably done as much installation as I would do in three or four days at Mac,” says Ferguson by way of comparison. “Based on the depth of the playbook here compared to what we run, they have no choice but to install that much.”

Read more: http://www.marauders.ca/news/2013/5/30/fb_0530130456.aspx

2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

MARSHALL GOES TO SCHOOL
    from Stampeders.com

Marshall Ferguson knows he’s not going to make the Calgary Stampeders out of training camp – he feigned surprise when broken the news.

Instead, the fourth-year signal caller from McMaster University is at McMahon Stadium trying to soak up all the information he can in a relatively new CFL initiative to develop Canadian quarterbacks.

“My real priority is to make McMaster University football better off after this experience,” said Ferguson, a native of Kingston, Ont.

Since the start of rookie camp last Thursday, he’s been learning the intricacies of the game from some of the best the CFL has to offer, including offensive coordinator Dave Dickenson and quarterbacks Drew Tate and Kevin Glenn.

He works with them during the individual group time and receives snaps under centre during team drills.

“I view this experience as my responsibility to take as much in as possibly,” Ferguson said.

It’s a responsibility he’s taken seriously. This year will be his first opportunity at the reigns of the famous McMaster Marauders football program after learning the ropes from Kyle Quinlan for the last three seasons.

Read more: http://www.stampeders.com/article/marshall-goes-to-school-130607