Final score

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Wouldn't you think the CFL's own official website could be trusted to post the correct game score for the Calgary-Toronto game this past Saturday?

However, if you expected that, you'd be wrong:

CALGARY -- Zach Collaros threw four touchdowns on 330 yards passing, as the Argonauts won their fifth game away from home, 33-27 over the Calgary Stampeders.

http://cfl.ca/article/road-warrios-argos-win-another-away-from-home

The sidebar with the week's game scores says the same thing...:rolleyes:

It looks as though Toronto's indifference to the team under its very own nose has now migrated into the league's head office there...

TM

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

And while I'm on the warpath here, what about the Stamps' own in-house media? :mad:

Stampeders.com itself also misreported the final score:

A pair of Calgary streaks came to an end Saturday at McMahon Stadium as the Stampeders dropped a 33-27 decision to the Toronto Argonauts.

http://www.stampeders.com/article/stamps-argos-gamestory-130921

So how about it guys?

I know you read our site.

You hosted the friggin' game, how 'bout at least gettin' the end score right? :rage:

TM

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Well, if they can't even spell check the word "Warriors", I think asking for the correct score might be a bit of a stretch.

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Apparently so...:palm:(sigh)

TM

5. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Unless it wasn't really a typo and they meant this guy.

[​IMG]

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Funny, when I read their headline, I thought of that myself...;)

(It's been a number of years since I last played Nintendo with the kids...)

TM

7. Doogie58

Doogie58 Member

00:26 3 Punt Single 55 Swayze Waters punts for 55 yards to Cgy0 (Single). 33 - 26

Uh, the score really was 33-27 - did you forget the punt single late in the game to make it 33? I remember when the Argos were punting, we'd need a touchdown to tied. Then we got a single on the failed "kick to win" punt scramble by Jabari Arthur

This cut from the CFL Stats report.

8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope.

I didn't forget about Toronto's 33 points.

My issue was with what was the 27 points credited to Calgary.

I hadn't realized that the Stampeders were given a rouge on the last play of the game. In considering the matter, that makes sense: Arthur punted the ball as an "onside kick" from the playing field after his reception, and the Argos didn't get it out.

But I wasn't in the stadium where I presume the awarded single may have been more evident to fans in attendance who would have heard the single mentioned on the public address system and might have seen it go up on the scoreboard.

Instead, I was watching Miller and Dunigan on TSN from here in Edmonton, and the broadcast duo was so caught up with the replay of Arthur's kick and McDaniel's pursuit of the ball (although he was offside), that neither of them mentioned the punt single by Calgary on the final play.

The scorebox on the screen banner continued to show "33-26" until the final screenshot of the game, when Miller announced the final score and the score on the banner read "33-27".

But by then I had already long since left the television broadcast, and only saw it for the first time this morning when I replayed the video segment online on TSN's Games-on-Demand section.

What's interesting is that several media sources were also confused about the final score, since some of them also cited Calgary's 26 points in the game. :wideyed:

Nevertheless, it is clear that I owe both the League's website, and stampeders.com an apology since both of them got it right when it "counted". ;)

So I apologize to both entities.

But what's really ironic is now that we've established that there was in fact a "point" to the final play of the game, this thread has now itself been rendered entirely "pointless". :D

TM

9. Doogie58

Doogie58 Member

No worries TM. I pretty much erased the final score from my mind, the minute the final whistle blew, and we had lost the game.

I was much more concerned about our defence getting beat the way we did. We had no answers all day for a back or receiver coming out of the backfield towards the sidelines at 7-12 yards. The Argos were either 2nd and less than 3 or consecutive first downs all night it seems. And could gash us at will from deep in their own end. Yes we struggled on offence, but we pretty much had our starters in on defence.

Overall, our lack of a defensive plan to stop the Argos after the first 20 minutes, was MUCH bigger "point" than any that may or may not of been "caught" by a sage and experienced football fan such as yourself TM :)

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  10. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

I agree the Stamps defence had no answer for the flat routes and flare routes. I think the lack of speed from the LB's was seriously exposed. As well, the Stamps lacked the required intensity for the first time this season. Usually the D is able to make adjustments throughout the game. I know the Stamps can't win every game, I just hope that the team is not falling back into the bad habits of penalties and turnovers.

Offensively as much as I hate to say this but CJ had Dickensen's # again. Just like in the Grey Cup Jones out coached Dickensen's. However, in D's defence the offence has too many injuries to be consistent.

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  11. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

TM, you might want to have this thread deleted before any of your clients take a gander. ;)

12. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Why?

Deleting the thread would be a sign that I was attempting to cover up something already on the record.

I think I fully explained how I reached the conclusion I did.

I left the telecast before they updated the final score, and during the time I was watching, the single wasn't mentioned.

You think I should be embarrassed by that, somehow?

I owned up to the error and issued an apology for my remarks which were proven to be unwarranted.

Give me a break! ;)

TM

13. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Right. Like that veterinarian. But without the 22,000. :p

I'm just saying clients might not like imperfections is all. :D

14. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I've never claimed infallibility.

In anything.

That's just life in a world populated by fallible human beings.

And the 'imperfection' you've cited, has, in any event, nothing whatever to do with what I do for a living. ;)

TM

15. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Good to hear. Carry on then.