Final thoughts: When Harry met Sally

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Bronko, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

aka - when Dave Dick made the call to extract Bo Levi & Jerry Messam, the two best players on the stampeders!

I'm coming 'round to Tundra Mustang's thoughts. In the gravity of the moment - ie. your Super Bowl, you don't have to put your Plunger QB in play . . . . . especially on 2nd and just under 2 yds.

But the worst thing about the play design, in retrospect was taking Messam out, too. Once all the Calgary backfielders had abandoned the backfield, the RB defense knew Buckley - a plunge queen was gonna either run it wide (like he did before) or try to pass (not his specialty). The RBs loaded up to provide super penetration on Buckley cuz they knew there was no potential for a hand-off.

Leaving the young 3rd stringer on his own! To FAIL...

Stamps had one and only 1 chance to run or pass it in on 2nd and 2. I suspect if Messam had made it to the 1 inch line - they still would have kicked the tying field goal on 3rd down - sending it to OT.
    Remember, even if Mess doesn't make it to the chalk, the ball comes back a full yard.

OT was in the cards. Bo (and his OC) just called 3 straight pass plays (2 over 20 yds, only one a control pass of 12 yds (incomplete) = none finding the receiver. SO while the coaching decision drama was in the last minute or so - the real drama was in the OT where the stamps went 3 and out....

Tags:
    Tundra Mustang likes this.
  2. Lethbridge_born

I was watching the game from the endzone bleachers. Even before the game, you could sense the team was a bit off. Parades was missing practice field goals from 30 yards out and he didn't even try one longer than 35 that I saw. There wasn't a lot of camaraderie during the warm up.

Maybe they were just overstoked for the game. Burris is great at selling fakes, no doubt. But every bit of misdirection that the Redblacks tried seem to totally bamboozle our D in the first half. The defense was just hyped up and chasing everything. We were lucky to get out of the half with as little damage as we did.

There's a lot of blame to go around, even during the second half comeback. Parades missed point after would have been enough to win the game. Drives sputtered when they should have gone a lot longer. Parker was targeted three times and made one catch, although they were all catchable. Plus he got a penalty.

Maybe we could have won on that Buckley play. But the fact is that there were so many other opportunities to win the game.

Addicted, Bumpnrun and Tundra Mustang like this.
  3. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

The Stamps were beaten in all 3 phrases in the first half which was their demise.
    By the 4th quarter they made it interesting.
    While there is a pretty fair amount of armchair coaches on the play from the 2yrd line at the end of the game, if the team showed up to play in the first 35 minutes of the game like they are capable of and displayed throughout the season, it would not have mattered.
    Give full credit to Ottawa, they executed their game plan and played a heck of a game, but I just felt the Stamps didn't play to their full potential.

Addicted and Lethbridge_born like this.
  4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Game was very much similar to 2002 when a 14-4 Bomber team coached by Dave Ritchie took on the Stampeders - barely a playoff team at 8-10 (if memory serves the bombers rested half their roster in their final reg. season game vs. the Stamps who needed the W just to qualify)

Almost all the bombers under-delivered during the game, despite being overwhelming favourites. There are many who still believe Coach Ritchie was so confident he barely conducted more than 45 minutes of total practice in the week leading up. Khari Jones was a human atrocity at bomber QB, Tiny Roberts was still shaking off a bender, Doug "Bubba" Brown looked aimless and lost, Marvin Coleman whiffed on a couple easy tackles to change the game and Bob Cameron, the bombers hall of fame punter basically choked! Milt Stegall was impotent primarily due to Khari Jones choking up.

My guess is that if the 8-10 Stamps played the 14-4 bombers 10 times the lower ranked stamps would have won 6 or 7. That game left a real stink on the bomber organization.

5. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Close, but no cigar on the year, Bronks.

Calgary's unexpected win over the Bombers was in 2001.

In 2002, Montreal beat the Eskimos at Commonwealth for all the marbles.

By then, the Stampeders were already on the downslide, and missed the playoffs with a 6 and 12 record in the first year of the dark 3 season regime of "Feterik and the Boxboys", with Wally bidding Calgary farewell shortly after the season closed.

I do think your analysis is close, with Ottawa playing the role of the underdog 2001 Stampeders in this year's final, but I would argue that the 2016 upset was an even bigger one than the result of the classic 15 years earlier.

The 2016 Stampeders were just that dominant.

Except, of course, when it really counted.

TM

6. Jayman

Jayman Member

As a complete aside, I am really enjoying Youtube's coverage of most all CFL games from this year.
    I will admit I'm only re-watching Bomber wins….that PI call against Sask, again and again, is my 2016 hi-lite.
    No commercials, can take a timeout whenever required, good quality, can turn Rod right down, watch anytime, all good.
    It shows up as hosted by "CFL", if its the League's doing, well, i thank them.

Tundra Mustang likes this.