Fired Via Skype

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Flash, Jun 9, 2013.

Tags:
?

Fired via Skype is....

1. Acceptable

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Petty and ruthless

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. What you haven't been fired on the internet yet?

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. My girlfriends always break up with me via txt message...

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Flash

Flash Member

Ouch. So the last Oiler coach was fired while on vacation in Switzerland via Skype. Seems kinda cold and heartless but Krueger should've known he had no real future there since he wasn't on the team in the 80s.

So the poll question is job removal via technology acceptable in this era of the world?

Tags:
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

Don't have a big problem with this. NHL teams can't fire its players, owners or GMs cuz most are on long-term guaranteed pay plans. For coaches, usually 2 or 3 years max with salaries of $500k to $2 million. Even firing a top earner is no more painful than ridding the lineup of a 5th or 6th year veteran 3rd liner. Getting rid a of $500,000 guy is about as painful as putting a band-aid on a paper cut. Even HNIC was trumpeting a potential firing of Penguins coach Dan Bylsma, one of the most successful regular season coaches in recent years. Of course Bylsma didn't help his cause when he started yapping that Marc Andre Fleury (aka MA 5-Hole, ma5h for short) was gonna be his starting goaler for a long time.

3. Flash

Flash Member

I have no problem with the firing. Just the method.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Since Krueger was in Europe I think the matter was handled fairly well and I'm no Oiler fan believe me. Especially the current group under Daryl Katz, the drug baron. Since the decision was made and they had to act fast to secure Eakin's services (announcement Monday) the only other methods were a trans=atlantic long distance phone call, a text message or a curt e-mail. The skype is probably not close to in-person contact but better than the other methods. Its not the preferred method, what is but Krueger gets a nice parting gift in the balance of his salary and can now be the Paul Lapolice of the NHL - getting paid to do sba.

5. Flash

Flash Member

Long distance? Is that even a thing these days?

But really they didn't know this before he was leaving the country? That seems a little doubtful.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Can't tell Krueger face to face??? Stay classy Oilers.