Flag on the play

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Rids, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

[​IMG]

Officiating and penalties in the CFL is always a hot button topic. Here’s something I bet you didn’t think would be true. You may have noticed that penalties are up this year but likely you expected the number to be higher than what it actually is. In 2011 we saw an average of 18.2 penalties per game for a huge 161.1 yards per game. When it comes to 2012 early results the average per game is higher at 18.7 however the yards per game is much lower at 148.8.

When it comes down to individual penalties the story gets interesting. Through the first 22 games of the season there have only been 13 time count violations, which was lower than expected. When prorated against the full 72 game schedule it comes out to 43 time count calls for the season or 1 less than in 2011. The procedure type calls (including procedure, offsides, too many men and illegal sub) the number is at 142 so far this year and prorates to 465. That number is nearly 100 more procedure calls in 2012 than what we saw in 2011.

There have been fewer Unnecessary Roughness and Roughing the Passer calls this year and in big reductions of 29 and 38 percent respectively. Before you think it’s the kinder and gentler CFL please note the 30 percent increase in Face Masking calls.

The always controversial Pass Interference call is good for an investigation every season but this year we are on pace for 95 PI calls which is 12% lower than last year’s 108 total.

Offenses always blame the defense for breaking the laws of the game. Defenses get accused of crossing the line of fair play every year but the numbers can’t lie and the gap is small. Very small. In fact offenses have been flagged 140 times this year and defenses were caught 141 times so far.

Generally speaking I tend to err on the side of the officials because they are viewing a very fast game played by talented individuals and this group of 7 officials need to track the whereabouts of 24 men and a football. While it’s a popular summer sport to compare CFL officials to blind rodents in truth they are forced to make a dozen decisions on every play. Thanks to events like the Olympics that show you what unprepared officials can turn a healthy competition into, the average CFL fan should be a little nicer to our hard working CFL officials. If not I’ll lobby for the CFL to hire a couple Olympic boxing judges…

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I sure do agree that PI calls are down but it seems the refs are allowing more free shots on the qbs without protecting them. We saw what the Lions player did to Glenna few weeks ago. Both Alex Brink & Buck Pierce have taken some hellacious shots. I get the feeling that the CFL is not protecting their biggest assets, their qbs.

3. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

RSR should be go video like emdiggy's weekly predictions with some bluegrass music in the background.

and at the start: 'RIDLEEEEEY'S SCOUTING REPOOOOOOORT!'

jus' sayin'. :rolleyes:

4. Rids

Rids Member

The only mug in this family that you want to see in a video is this one...

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/VJC1Yl0GExs[/video]

5. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

if she can do RML she can do RSR.