Flames Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Christoph, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

Sign and trade makes Wideman Flames newest D-man

Oh so he's an "impending defenseman" is he? So right now he's not a defenseman? Not exactly a ringing endorsement of his defensive zone play.

In all seriousness though, to me this deal signals that the Flames are not in fact going to go into rebuild mode. Iginla said he didn't want any part of a rebuild and they must have assured him they wouldn't go that direction because they convinced him to give Wideman a call to help close the deal.

Tags:
  2. Christoph

Christoph Member

RE: Sign and trade makes Wideman the Flames newest D-man

I have to say I'm a bit puzzled by this move. It's not that Wideman isn't a fine defenseman, he is, but he's 29 and this is a 5 year deal. He'll be 34 by the end of his contract. It would make more sense if this was a team that was a few pieces away from contending, but I find it very difficult to picture that.

This will only be a good move if they land several more top end free agents and suddenly transform their roster into a contender. With the slim pickings available in free agency this year and the high level of competition for their services, I don't see that happening without overpaying to a level that will cripple the team even further down the road. The team has just started to climb out of self-inflicted cap purgatory. Why are they heading down that same road to perdition again? I don't get it.

I'll still watch how the deal unfolds with great fascination and hope to be proven wrong.

Unfortunately I'm almost never wrong. :p ;)

3. Rids

Rids Member

Wideman is a Stanley Cup winner but this will be his third team in three years. Interesting move by the Flames.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

We just spend, spend, spend on veterans & don't seem to have a plan other than letting Jarome be a coach killer. (Sorry, TM... I know we disagree on this). Just think this team would be so much further ahead if we could get some decent assets for him & save cap space...

5. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I said it before the season ended.

I said it after the season ended.

In fact, I've been sayin' it for at least the last 2 seasons.

Jarome's not bein' shipped out anywhere.

Those who pine for it, should save themselves the angst and frustration, and let it rest.

Not only isn't Iginla going elsewhere, the word in the media was that the Flames asked him to place a call to Wideman to help cinch the club's latest transaction. ;)

TM

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, there is a reason why this team can't make the playoffs. Not Iggy's fault as it is management's decision to keep him but truthfully he is a diminishing asset. His production is tailing off. He can stay or he can go... Doesn't make that much of a difference anymore.

7. Christoph

Christoph Member

At his age and with a $7 million cap hit on a contract that's set to expire at season's end, meaning his new team isn't guaranteed to retain his services beyond this season, Iginla isn't going to fetch much in a trade anymore. Certainly not as much as proponents of such a trade would be hoping to see anyway.

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, that is because we kept the guy too long. I don't know what we'd get for him now... Imagine when Iginla's contract runs out next year & he & the Flames can't come to an agreement. Then on July 1st next year he signs somewhere else? How the hell would that go over?? To get absolutely nothing for Iginla?? Feaster might as well pack his bags then.

9. Christoph

Christoph Member

True, but luckily that's still 363 days away. This team has revealed the direction they're going to take, and that is to do whatever it takes to build a contender for the present. There's still plenty of time to make good on that objective and this next year will reveal whether or not they were successful. Everything in sports is a gamble. Nothing ventured nothing gained, as they say. Blowing the team up is at least an equal risk. Sure you can rebuild quickly if you're fortunate enough to draft the right players. Or you can slide deeper and deeper into the cellar as a losing culture begins to perpetuate itself and become more and more ingrained in the fabric of the organization. Either approach can work. Either approach can fail. Neither answer is necessarily right or wrong, it's the execution of whichever plan you choose that matters, and so far they seem to be making solid moves that will give shot at achieving success.

On that note, for those who missed it, the team has also added former Red Wing scorer Jiri Hudler to the fold (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=636972 ). He'll definitely add an element of skill this team has been seeking. My only concern is his lack of size. Although diminutive he may be, he's dynamic enough to compensate.

10. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I've always thought the belief of those who are convinced the Flames will allow:

a) Iginla to play himself into obscurity and be nothing more than a salary drag on the team for another year, and be rendered essentially valueless by his play; or

b) Iginla to play this season, be unable to reach a new pact with the Flames, and watch him leave in free agency next July without getting anything in exchange,

to be mutually inconsistent propositions.

If Iginla is perceived to have diminishing value (and clearly the Flames don't think so), why would you care if he leaves as a free agent at the end of his contract?

But more to the point, I don't think the Flames will allow that to happen, and if you want some confirmation of that, read the following:

Flames working to keep Iginla

Quote:

The Calgary Flames are allowed to extend Jarome Iginla any time they want now.

They just haven’t gotten around to it — yet.

“We’re very aware of where he is — in the last year of his deal,” Flames general manager Jay Feaster said Monday.

“From our perspective . . . it is a process — you have a plan and you try to work that plan. Certainly, in terms of the priority of it, we were ready to go as far as the draft, we were ready to go as far as free agency.”

Iginla is officially into the final season of a five-year contract that pays him a salary of $7 million.

The Flames are on record as saying the captain will retire in Calgary.

So they plan to re-sign him. All in good time, apparently.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Fla ... z1zZVl4GIQ

I would further add, that because of the solid relationship the Flames have always had with Jarome throughout his career, I think it's inconceivable (should they be unable to come to terms on a new agreement), that Iginla would refuse to waive his NTC/NMC and leave as a free agent on July 1st for no return being given the Flames.

In the unlikely event that Jarome can't be re-signed, I have no doubt he'd be approached by the organization to allow them to move him to a contender at the deadline to ensure Calgary at least receives some assets for him on his departure, and that the "Face of the Franchise" would agree.

There's absolutely no good reason to believe otherwise. ;)

TM

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Flames working to keep Iginla... When he's a 15 goal scorer then what? ;) That is my concern.