Flames To Get New Arena..... Stampeders Get NOTHING!

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Seeker1, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

It appears that the Stampeders, once again, STILL, are stuck with a stadium that is well past its best before date, and is an embarrassment to the City of Calgary.

Time for a new, modern, updated stadium NOW!!!

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

As much as it initially appeared that the Calgary Next proposal of 2015 was likely to provide a new indoor home for the Stampeders as part of a massive entertainment complex which principally housed the Calgary Flames, today's announcement of a tentative deal on a new arena for the Flames alone not only officially scuttles that hope, but makes it improbable now that a new proposal involving a stand-alone facility for the Stampeders will ever be built.

I don't see sufficient public support in Calgary ever being generated for even an open-air facility dedicated for the Stampeders and which will likely cost upwards of $200M to build.

Particularly when the facility is likely to host no more than 10 or 11 Stampeders' contests each year, and perhaps a few dozen more if professional soccer and some amateur events are added.

And I don't think the Flames ownership is likely to want to forge ahead with funding it on their own without any public funds.

It looks to me like we're stuck with the nearly 60 year old girl up on Crowchild Trail for a long while yet...it's hard for me to believe she was only a 4 year old toddler when I first met her...

TM