Former Head Coach Blunder & Former Player Pride

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by iso_55, Aug 29, 2012.

1. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Read this story from former Bomber Tackle Doug Brown about the lack of communication between former Blue Bombers Head Coach Paul LaPolice & former Bomber Left Guard Brendan Labatte.
    Turns out leaving Winnipeg & playing for the home town Riders for more money wasn't the reason he left Winnipeg. It's because LaPo & the coaches wanted to move him to Center permanently but he never told the team doing so would be a deal breaker. Wow, wow, wow...
    Labatte told LaPo it wouldn't be a good idea. Yet he never told him how unhappy he'd be making the move. LaPo never really considered how unhappy Labatte would have been at Center because HE NEVER KNEW.
    When a team contemplates a move like that, there should be consultation between the player, his position coach, the OC & HC. It is the HC's responsibilty to find out if that player (in this case LaBatte) was good with the move or not. If he would be comfortable in his new role. As a veteran as well as an all star left guard, Labatte deserved that kind of respect from his former head coach but never got it. LaPo didn't find out how LaBatte truly felt & as a result of that we lost an all star player. Some of this is on Brendan Labatte for not speaking his mind but most of the sticky goo is on Lapo & his coaching staff for screwing up.
    Reading that as a fan is just infuriating & shows why the Bombers are in the state they are in. They had an all star left guard & yet wanted to move him to center. The question is why???? Just a 3 ring circus on Maroons Road. Unfreakingbelievable. Wait until the Bomber faithful read that...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... um=twitter

Tags:
  2. Rusty

Rusty Member

A person like Westwood would have made the move to stay on the team. I think both parties are as much to blame. If Labatte can't say what is on his mind it tells me he is acting like a little baby. "Give me exactly what I want or I will leave". You gotta speak up!!!

Lapo,
    You need to know your players better.

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

There's no question Plop's first (and quite possibly last) tenure as a head coach was pocked by a continual supply of on-field blunders. (abysmal clock management, poor play selection, pissy challenges, ref-hating tantrums, etc.)

BUT

I didn't know that he made this type of atrocious player management blunder (with Labatte). The other HUGE BLUNDER he made was when Paul the Weasel (FP reporter Wiecek) asked him if he feared for his job. Plop turned a bright red, stammered a non-answer and then sicked his security guard on Wiecek (bomber media hop sing Darin Cameron) to tell him not to ask questions like that in the future or he'd be banned from the room....

I was hammering Plop due to all the friggin' errors a man with 11 years in the league shouldn't be making on the sidelines.

Of course, if fines and vile screaming were the answers to poor team discipline and reduced execution we'd all be nine pence the richer and need a constant supply of Fisherman's Friend.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Interested to hear Plop's version of events surrounding Labatte. Brown has presented a story straight from the horse's mouth (supposedly) and this is a rather severe indictment of Paul Lapolice's skills as a negotiator.

Plop also fails the sniff test by NOT disclosing to Joe Mack that Labatte was hedging on moving to centre. If Mack was worth the coin, and he does have NFL managment experience he would have told Lapolice to lay off the changes (cuz an experienced NFL man would know you don't rock the boat when a guy is headed into free agency) and wait til we re-sign the guy.

So Mack has to bear some responsibility for NOT telling his head coach that when you're contemplating significant changes in personnel, you have to consult the grand poobah first (Mack)

5. Rids

Rids Member

If LaBatte told his position coach but the OL coach didn't tell anybody else it makes the communication error even deeper.

6. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

7. Rids

Rids Member

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

When I first read this story, I immediately blamed LaPo & said so here. Having reflected upon the whole story, I'm thinking that there is more to this story than meets the eye. Let's face it, first of all, I can't believe that a player with LaBatte's stature as an all star guard & someone the Bombers really wanted to re-sign would be afraid to speak up about his displeasure of moving to center. The second is, if he did move what did he have to lose? If it didn't work out, he wouldn't get cut. He'd be moved back to center. It was all win win here. Not lose lose. And he'd still be one of, if not the highest paid OL in the CFL.
    The other thing that bothers me about this whole story is I can't believe that an all star player would not speak up & state his mind. How can a football player not say anything about being unhappy to any of the coaches on the team?? I don't buy it. Just makes no sense. If it is true then LaBatte is a wimp with absolutely no character. A scared little puppy. I know 12 year olds with more stones than that.
    I think that this story is just an excuse to further dump on LaPo as he sure is made to look like an idiot here. Labatte wanted out & had no intention to sign with the Bombers. This is just a way to make the Bombers look like the bad guys here.

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

There are many players who changed positions to help their teams &/or prolong their careers. All of them were all stars at their old positiond & could have been Divas about it but put the team ahead of their own self interests. First player that came to mind was Bob Swift. He was the first rookie to rush for a thousand yards in 1964 as a fullback for the BC Lions. He injured his knee in the GC that year & the next year made the change to offensive guard. Later, he was traded to Toronto where he became an All Canadian Center with the Argos & Blue Bombers. Became the best center in the CFL before he retired after the 1977 season.
    The next player was multiple All Canadian Blue Bombers running back Dave Raimey. He was traded to the Argos in 1969 & shared the backfield with another All Canadian back, Bill Symons. He injured his knee in 1970 & missed the remainder of that season. In 1971, he made the move to corner on defense where he also became a multi All Canadian player until he retired after the 1975 season. He was one of the best all round athletic players to ever play in the CFL.
    The last guy that comes to mind is Hamilton's Garney Henley. As a receiver in 1962 he once caught 4 touchdowns in a game. In the mid 60's he was moved to defensive back where he also became an All Canadian player at that position for the Ti Cats. In 1972, he was moved back to wide receiver where he became the CFL's MOP that season.
    None of the three players discussed ever once complained about being moved. if they were unhappy, they never let on. All 3 were dominant players at their positions. it couldn't have been easy for all of them going from being the best at your position at one position to competing for the starting position somewhere else. So, to hear LaBatte complain that he didn't want to play a position on the OL that he didn't like is so disappointing. He still would have had it good.

10. Bronko

Bronko Member

What we have here is a failure to communicate

1. Plop for dithering when Labatte expressed doubts about changing OL spots.
    2. Labatte for not expressing his fear of changing spots.
    3. The OL coordinator for keeping it secret
    4. Joe Mack for not asking Plop how the change was going
    5. Garthy - just because he's garthy!

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

LaPo needed to highlight his hair. Oh wait...

12. Bronko

Bronko Member

Wonder if Lapo is gonna have a garage sale. Tons of bomber crap will be going CHEAPPP!!!

For Deuvy's info - I went to Dave Ritchie's garage sale. Could have bought all the bomber jackets i wanted but I ended up buying a ton of old programs, passed on the Bobby Orr table hockey game (it was rusty). Did end up with the jacket dave was wearing as coach of the Als when he lost on that last second field goal.... still have it, I think!

Got a Coke Bottle featuring legendary Bear Bryant....plus a Cinncinati Bearcats (dave's college team) seat cushion.

Neat sale, I enjoyed it!

Hope Plop has the Porky Pig complete dvd collection.

Is deuvy or iso bidding on Tina's cheerleading outfit??? lol

13. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Nope, not me...

14. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69bhqLTmQ6w

I So want that jacket.