Former head of TSA: We should allow knives, lighters and liquids on planes

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Stamps Rule, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

We all know the trials & tribulations of airport security. Who knows what the right answer is?

3. Rids

Rids Member

As a former pre-board screener I'll tell you what the answer is. Double the salaries of the best screeners and allow people to carry water through the security check point.

I left the job the summer before 9/11 because I was offered a job with a $4 raise. My bosses in my exit interview said "You have to take that, it'll be 10 years before you get $12/hr here". At that time the people in charge of stopping people from having guns on the planes in Calgary were getting $8/hr and screening a 1000 people in an hour during peak travel times. To be honest it's amazing that more airplane hijacks didn't occur prior to that day. Most of my co-workers worked second or even third jobs.

Even now they don't make great wages to screen people with all the crazy new rules. The brainpower behind it all is very out of touch.

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm just glad I won't have to take a plane out west to the grey cup for a change. what a weird scenario to have done calgary-edmonton-vancouver.