Former Super Bowl Champ Federkeil Shakes Off The Rust At Stamps Rookie Camp

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, May 30, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

8458086.jpg

Former Super Bowl champ Federkeil shakes off the rust at Stamps rookie camp
    Concussions forced Medicine Hat native to the sidelines in 2009, but he has the urge to play again
    Vicki Hall, CalgaryHerald.com

Never one to bask in spotlight, Dan Federkeil blended back into society — and became pretty much just another regular dude — upon retirement from the National Football League’s Indianapolis Colts.

The six-foot-six, 290-pounder quietly enrolled in classes at the University of Calgary. He finished up his economics degree. Together with his wife Shannon, he took an extended road trip around Europe. He became a dad for the first time.

Even so, the niggling desire to play football refused to abate.

And so the pride of Medicine Hat marched back into the public eye on the first day of rookie camp for the Canadian Football League’s Calgary Stampeders.

Yes, the 29-year-old Federkeil is a Super Bowl champion, but there he was Thursday in the pounding rain learning the basics of the playbook with the rest of the newcomers in the trenches.

“Well, it’s been a little while,” said the one-time Calgary Dino and four-year NFLer. “Definitely a bit rusty. It was interesting taking that first hit out there. I wasn’t quite sure what would happen.”

Good news: he survived.

“So far, so good,” said Federkeil, who lined up Thursday at left tackle. “I haven’t had any ill-effects.

“There’s definitely nerves there, especially when we get full pads, full contact, green tempo. But right now, I felt good today, so that’s a small monkey off my back.”

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...Super+Bowl+champ+Federkeil/8458085/story.html

2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Stampeders' Federkeil attempts unlikely comeback
    Scott Mitchell, CalgarySun.com

Spending more than a decade coaching in the trenches, Calgary Stampeders offensive line coach Mike Gibson has seen it all.

Or at least he thought he had — until Dan Federkeil showed up.

“When I was in Winnipeg, I coached Moe Elewonibi, who’s a name from the past and an Outland Trophy winner (as best lineman in NCAA football in 1989), and he was out for about a year-and-a-half and retired and came back, but I don’t know if I’ve ever coached a guy who’s been away three years,” Gibson said following his first on-field look at the 6-foot-6, 290-lb. former Calgary Dinos defensive end turned Indianapolis Colts offensive lineman Thursday on the opening day of Stamps rookie camp at McMahon Stadium.

“He’s just got to prove to himself that he can stay healthy and work himself through whatever little nicks he’s going to have from not being hit for (so long).”

It’s so far, so good for the Medicine Hat native, who was forced to retire from the NFL due to post-concussion issues, as Federkeil made it through two practice sessions unscathed Thursday, feeling as good as he could possibly expect after his first reps since late 2009.

Read more: http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/05/30/stampeders-federkeil-attempts-unlikely-comeback

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Man, hope he is able to resume his career, stay healthy & finish on his own terms with the Stampeders. Whether it be one season or 10.

4. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member