Fresh Stamps roster set to hit field

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, May 29, 2012.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

http://blogs.canoe.ca/cflbuzz/general/f ... hit-field/

Tags:
  2. Christoph

Christoph Member

A few big changes on defense stand out here to me. The first is Keon Raymond moving to corner. To put it bluntly I don't know that I like the move. It's not that I don't think he can do it, no not in the slightest. I'm pretty sure he'll be great there. It's more that I feel that halfback, the position he will be vacating, is more important since those are the guys responsible for covering the slot backs who are generally the go to receivers in CFL offenses. He and Brandon Smith are our two best DBs and I'd prefer to see them remain inside covering the opponent's best. But we'll see how it works out. Hopefully the coaching staff will prove me wrong here. My question is who exactly is going to take his place at halfback?

The other big change is Demitrice Morley moving to SAM linebacker. I have mixed feelings here. I really liked him at safety because it allowed him to survey the field and use his outstanding athleticism to fly to the football and lay some ferocious hits on receivers (he just needs to cut down on the boneheaded penalties.) He's also got pretty decent hands for the INT. However I do acknowledge that Eric Fraser is a capable starter at safety, and from a ratio standpoint probably needs to be on the field. Since Morley is too much of a playmaker to keep off the field, finding a new position for him makes sense. I'm sure there will be an adjustment period but he certainly would seem to have the tools, the athleticism, the physicality, and obviously the coverage ability as a former DB, to eventually succeed at SAM linebacker. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this one plays out.

The best news out of this article is the amount of competition that will be in camp at what I thought were our two weakest positions last year, defensive line and linebacker. With 17 defensive linemen and 14 linebackers in camp I'm hopeful that at least a few gems will emerge. Our pass rush especially could certainly use an injection of adrenaline to bring it back to life for the first time in years.