News From MVP to MRI

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

It appears that the Stampeders are sending BLM for an MRI tomorrow for a scan of his right pectoral which is possibly torn, and if it is, that might well cost him the season...

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/fo...sday/wcm/b9a3a5ad-7c69-4869-b3ab-1e8fe9676db1
    We'll definitely miss Bo if he's out for any significant time. :(

The "next man up" mantra is really gonna be put to the test if the MRI shows what they think it might.

And the pressure will be squarely on Arbuckle to find a way.

I do like what I've seen from that young guy at this early stage in his career, but it's a different role having to carry the team as its starter rather than to come off the bench in relief...

Anyway, I guess here we go.

Rather than call for the "next man up", it looks like it may well be time to "'Buckle up"! ;)

TM

Tags:
    Bronko likes this.
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

Arbuckle sure got himself "fattened up" when the Lions went into panic mode after building a 21 pt. 1st half lead. Combination of the BC offense going "LaPolice Conservative" and Devon Claybrooks inexperience as a head master took the Lions out of the game - but Arbuckle still had to complete a series of passes and the Stamps had to capture a beauty on-side kick for things to transpire.

As for BL Mitchell. This guy has been a warrior for Calgary over his medium length career. He's wearing a harness over his damaged leg and he doesn't seem bothered by it - he was never a massive escape artist like Mikdini Reilly in BC or Durant - or Burris and now Masoli. He was really good (actually great) at changing pocket position, stepping up or side-angling to shed snorting killers after a QB kill-shot. Now, he appears good (not great).

Mitchell has shown me a tendency to play thru real pain. I can think of only Reilly as a current comparison. In the old days - QBs like Joe Kapp, Kenny Ploen, Jackie Parker & Ron Lancaster could play thru hardcore injuries (concussions, separated shoulders, knee and/or ankle damage, etc). Ricky Ray & AC Calvillo tried extending their careers thru significant injuries but the results led to their inevitable retirements.

If this is a true pectoral injury - the recovery rates vary from 2 weeks to 2 months, depending on extent and more importantly the recovery ability of the athlete. So if its serious - the 2 month period might be compressed to a month with a durable man like Mitchell. The 2 week period for minor pec damage could actually be limited to 1-game or none - and if its 1-game, I wouldn't be surprised if Mitchell actually dresses for the next Stamps match w/ Arbuckle starting.

Some organizations are willing to expose their top stars to further damage and injury extension. Calgary is obviously one of these such organizations. Montreal & Hamilton are probably the next two on the list. Organizations like Winnipeg are at the other end of the spectrum. Any minor injury usually results in the man placed on IR (1 or 6) and then being coddled thru recovery. Stampeder philosophy seems to dictate that you're here to play football - so play!

3. Addicted

Addicted Member

Just counting games, this should be the last game for Bo on the 6 game? DO we expect him back next week? Out here in Sask, we don't get many Stamps injury updates.....has he been practising at all?

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

This is game 5 of the 6 games for which he's been scheduled to be out.

If they think he's ready to return, they could bring him back for next week against Winnipeg, but if they do that, they lose the salary cap relief that his placement on a 6 game injury reserve list has given the Stampeders (in other words, if he returns early, the 5 games he's missed, including tonight's contest, gets counted back in to the Stampeders' payroll for the season as though he dressed for every game he's actually missed).

At an estimated $700,000 salary, that's $233,000 that would not count against Calgary's salary cap this season if they leave him out for the full 6 games, and in the CFL, that's not an insignificant incentive for a team.

Arbuckle's gone 3 and 1 thus far in BLM's absence, so even if they drop tonight's game as well as the next one to the Bombers, it means they will have at least been able to tread water at .500 without their all-star first stringer behind centre. And in the meantime, BLM will have the opportunity to get some rest from playing and continue with his rehab.

For all of the above reasons, I would not expect to see Bo return early.

And there's no guarantee that Bo will automatically return once his 6 games expire after next week, either, so fans will have to keep that in mind.

He'll be subject to further medical assessment before he can return, and while I would not expect them to "6 game" him again (unless they need to do that :eek:), he might be placed on a short-term IR and then be evaluated on a game to game basis (although the flexibility of game-to-game IR placement doesn't come with any cap relief).

If the Stampeders can stay in the hunt until Labour Day without dressing Bo, with the schedule they have ahead of them, I have a suspicion that we might not see him until Labour Day.

As for Stampeders' news, if you notice at the bottom of our webpage, there's a direct link to stampeders.com, which may give you some information about the club which you might otherwise miss out in the "flatlands"...;)

TM

5. AllSportsCalgary

If it were me, I wouldn't bring him off the six game until all six games had passed, for a bunch of reasons. I want Bo for the playoffs, and I think Arbuckle is more than adequate to win enough games while Bo is out to get us there, so even if it is 'over-healed' some, I think we are ahead in the long run if Bo has time to get 100%. We have had lots of injuries in other positions, and the cap room gain with Bo out gives us a better opportunity to address either injury replacement, or potentially bring in some one from the NFL cut downs (Alex come home, we miss you). Lastly, not really a Bo issue, but Arbuckle is a free agent next year. I think that the more he plays and has a chance to show himself, the more likely the Stamps can get something from a trade before the free agent day. I am not sure we are going to be able to sign him ourselves, simply because I think he has shown he is capable of starting in this league, and I am not sure how much more money the Stamps can tie up in the QB position while actually fielding a team around said QB's.

And on the second note, I never realized those were links at the bottom of the page - I just thought they were Stampeder focused window dressing ...

6. Addicted

Addicted Member

Yep, thanks Tundra. I don’t expect Bo back early, just couldn’t remember if this was the last game or not. Thanks for clearing that up!

I’m actually happy to see Arbuckle getting some reps, he’s been doing well and the experience could be huge if he’s called upon in a playoff game....and the cap savings this year is a bonus!

7. Addicted

Addicted Member

Looks like Bo will participate fully in practise today according to TSN.
    Report: QB Mitchell to participate in full today
    https://www.tsn.ca/1.1347381.1565102989
    Dickey hasn’t ruled him out for Winnipeg although I would be very surprised to see him activated.

8. Addicted

Addicted Member

With Bo being added back to the 6 game, I am hoping he is very close, and that this is more of a cap savings combined with a little more rest/practise. Since he has sat the entire 6 games from the first stint, when he is placed back on, each game that he sits now add to the cap relief. He can be reactivated at any point and the additional games missed are tallied up as relief. My hope/guess, is that they feel Arbuckle is doing a good enough job to allow Bo to rest the Montreal game, grab the cap relief, and head into the bye week. We are sitting high enough in the standings to allow Arbuckle to continue to develop, Bo gets 2 more weeks rest, and the Stamps get additional cap relief. Cap relief could be very valuable to sign some impact players going down the stretch!

Tundra Mustang likes this.