Future of 3 Oldest CFL'rs

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

FUTURE OF 3 OLD (BUT NOT WISE) MEN . . .

1. AC Calvillo - 41 next year
    2. Smilin' Hank - 38 next yr.
    3. KoKo Joseph - 39 next yr.
    4. Buckle Pierce - 31 next yr.

AC is the only one with stock in the final four. If he gets smashed to bits by Toronto, I suspect its 80/20 he hangs up the cleats (either injury or inability to dictate to a good defense)
    Hank is probably physically the strongest and most youthful looking but he's a high price SMS ticket on a team that depleted itself in its final 12 out of 43 spots. But he's a name brand (not that it matters in a travelling clown show) and he did put up MONSTER numbers last season. His arm probably doesn't bother him anymore - its more his technique and stinkin' thinkin' when under heavy pressure. I'd say Hank is 90-10 to return.
    KoKo - Does it even matter? The guy is a gamer, that there is no doubt. He can hoist a pigskin 6o or 7o yards but his decision making and propensity for picks is disturbing. Still can use his legs but obviously, nearing 40 he's protecting himself more and more. Someone in the CFL will look at him in the same role that Jarious Jackson filled for Toronto this season. A veteran presence with all the tools, who can backup. You just don't want him as your everygame starter. He's a true CFL nomad. SHould be able to carve a couple more seasons out of his body, not his mind.
    Pierce - On paper he's the best QB in the league. Unfortunately, he's made out of the same paper mache his ranking is. He's brittle, he's unlucky, he's reckless and he's ready to cash more Bomber cheques. Bombers will be in the chase for Reilly, Glenn, perhaps McPherson, perhaps Q Porter but I only expect them to be able to sign Porter cuz the other guys have been pre-warned in playing for a carousel management with below average coordinators, despite the hot fans and the new stadium. I suspect they could offer Reilly $300,000 over 3 years with $150,000 signing bonus and he'd turn them down - perhaps rolling into Edmonton, Hamilton or waiting to be drafted by Ottawa. In the meantime Wally probably has the flexibility to pay him around $175k to be the back up to Lulay, buying time to contemplate whether he can trade either guy for a bundle of futures. Pierce should stay in Wpg as a QB coach/community cheerleader but his pride and disbelief in his injury quotient probably means he stays as an active player. Kinda stupid, I agree. But we're dealing with a desperate market and a desperate/mindless QB. (All heart, no brain)

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Ricky Ray is 33 but in Buck Pierce years that would be 25.

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

They Rachel Ray trade wasn't very good for Edmonton and it probably kills off Eric Tilman for a couple years (cockroaches are hard to permanently disable) but it might be great for Toronto CFL and Ray in particular.

If Ricky can engineer a game heist in Montreal this weekend and then put on some peformance in the Grey Cup I can see Toronto football getting jacked and routine crowds of 24,000 to 27,000 in the Skydome - which WOULD BE GREAT!

But first its on to Mt. Royal. See what he can do!

PS. Deuvy - stay away from Trish. You can have Susan Boyle!!! lol

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry bronko, I got her yoga studio adress in Vaughn, Ontario and am likely to make a visit during grey cup weekend. Finders keepers. :D

as for the als I have no idea what to expect. They've been a Jekyll and Mr. Hyde team all year. I think both division finals will go down to the wire in true cfl no lead is safe fashion.