Future of Some Individual Stampeders

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Bronko, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Wonder what the future holds for certain stamp players, coaches???

1. John Hufnagel - will he stay in the dual role or abdicate the hc spot for Dave Dickenson's ascension to head coaching ranks?

2. Dave Dickenson - will he stay as Hufnagel's loyal manservant or take one of the 4 or 5 available head coaching positions? (he's already turned down Winnipeg but who in their right mind wouldn't?)

3. Kevin Glenn - I think the first half was the last time fans see The Field Mouse QB'ing a stamps offense. If B-L is protected I can actually see ottawa choosing Tate over Glenn (age, size, speed) and leaving Glenn in cowtown as Mitchell's backup.

4. Brent Jones - will Sask. make a significant trade offer to the Stamps to complete their "Weyburn Mafia"? with Best, Labatte, Jones, etc. riding shotgun on their all-canuck o-line? Could Huff be tempted by an offer of Dom Picard and a high draft pick?

5. Rick Campbell - now that the STamps are out will Ed Hervey expedite his announcement of Campbell as Eskimos new head coach? One wonders!

Tags:
  2. fireguyfire

fireguyfire Member

All good questions; I think its time for Huff to become solely GM and let Dave take over the head coaching reins; hopefully the fact Dave lives here and has family within driving distance across the border will be enough to make him spend his full coaching career right here.
    As for Kevin Glenn, if he's still here his role should be as a mentoring back up to Bo next year, and an answer to a Bo injury, PERIOD. I think we can close the book on whether he can take you to the promised land or not.
    Hopefully Huff knows that rookie all star linemen dont grow on trees, and if he was to trade Jones, it would have to be such a good offer that there is absolutely no way to say no, which wont happen.
    As for Campbell, he has done a decent job, but if the Eskihomos think he is the answer to their problems up there, then good luck with that!

3. Rids

Rids Member

The guys on QR were pretty convinced that Huf will stay on as coach for at least one more season if not two.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Thats costing dave dick around $125 to $175k in lost salary. And I'm not sayin'huff is a bad coach - he's one of the best but he's nearing 65 and his hearing is going..... but as long as he's got DD under his spell the die is cast

5. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

I agree taking on the job in Edmonton is suicide with Hervey as GM and the Winnipeg job is not much different. I would bet George Cortez might get a look see at both but George is smart and most likely will stay put until something more attractive comes up. The Ottawa job would be the best place for any of these guys to go to vs the two failing franchises run by very dumb GM's.

6. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

I think Dave knows he is the guy in the future of the Calgary Stampeders and likes being mentored by Huff. The two are very good friends and I have to say once Dave does take over coaching and Huff goes to GM duties full time would be the best situation for Dave Dickenson. As far a Glenn it is now proven the guy is a good QB but when it comes to the important games he struggles. I feel bad for the guy but the Stamps now need to look at the future and running with the future.

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

I feel sorry for the Field Mouse aka glenn if he's shipped out to either wpg or edm....working with inferior men

8. Christoph

Christoph Member

I agree with keeping Glenn as a mentor. I don't see Drew Tate in that role. He's a little to, er, fiery (I really mean spazzy but I'm trying to diplomatic... oops guess I ruined that...) to be a good fit. Besides he's incapable of staying on the field.

If Zach Colaros is up for grabs (and reports that a trade to Winnipeg may be in the works would indicate that he is) I think the Stamps should go after him. BLM and Colaros would be all this team would need for years to come. Collaros looks like he's poised to become a star and BLM looks like he has the potential, with a little more seasoning, to do the same. I don't think he's quite ready yet though.

The Argos have been mooching off scraps that fall from the Stampeders table for years. Maybe it's time to return the favor. Only Collaros looks like more than a mere scrap.

How does Glenn or Tate and a draft pick for Collaros sound? That would give the Argos a very capable backup behind Frito Ray.

9. StampsSteve

StampsSteve Member

Here is how I see it:

1. I don't think Huffer will step aside from the HC position anytime soon
    2. I don't think he will leave either as he clearly doesn't want to go
    3. You contradicted yourself here, I agree that Ottawa will take Tate. Therefore we have to keep Glenn and if he is on the team he will be on the field somewhere during the season because shit happens
    4. No chance Jones gets traded, let alone to Sask
    5. Nothing can be announced this week

10. Rich

Rich Member

I don't get why we are blaming Glenn for yesterday. He threw two picks, yes, that really did not cause the outcome of the game. Can we blame him for the three that were caught for big gains and then fumbled by the receivers? Can we blame him for the ill prepared defence that had no idea how to stop the Rider offence, thus limiting his time on the field? This was a team failure on every level possible. It would not of mattered who threw the balls yesterday, the receivers could not hang on in those instances, Glenn unfortunately was the one on the field at the time. The Stamps, have a proven history of not being able to step up on big games. This team, going back to when Walley was here, should have won more cups then what we have. This organization can put a competitive team on the field, sometimes the best team, yet they fumble in big games. I agree that Huf needs to become full-time GM, getting rid of Glenn will not give us a championship, if anything this guy should get some respect for the last 2 years of service. Whether you like it or not he got us to the Grey Cup last year, the team failed to finish the job, same with this year. When this team plays as one, they are good, when they don't, we only need to look at 24hrs ago to see what happens.

11. Liske

Liske Member

The question is: why would Campbell (or anyone) want to go to Edmonton? It's a fiasco there as long as Hervey is calling the shots. I think both DD and Campbell know how good they have it here.

Glenn has won the big game before (2012 WF, 2007 EF), just not THE big game (Grey Cup). He is a capable starter for any team that needs one, and he can deliver his share of wins. When the moon is right and the stars align, he can take even a team to a division final and win it. But he is not gifted enough to do it on a regular basis. He isn't the type of QB who can carry a team on his shoulders and singlehandedly drive his team to victory, like a Doug Flutie, Ricky Ray or Anthony Calvillo. Glenn is a good QB, in fact an above average QB, but he is not, and will never be a great QB.

12. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

No you can not blame him but he has had to many games where he did not light the fire under the offense. Sorry he is what he is a back up QB.

13. Rids

Rids Member

Kevin Glenn is 81-72-1 as a CFL Starter. That's 4th among active QBs (he'll be 3rd once Calvillo makes it official) and only 11 wins behind Ricky Ray in 18 fewer starts.

14. Bronko

Bronko Member

Nice stats Rids but the only two guys ahead of him are hall of famers Hankenstein and Ray. After that its Durant & Lulay in the distance (only played 4 years). The rest of the current CFL quarterback landscape is littered with varmints like Max Hall, Joe Willy, Matt Nichols, Mike Reilly (starting his career), Tate, Troy Smith, Major Harris, Busted Doltz, etc.

Also, how do the Stamps re-calibrate the salaries for B-L Mitchell and whoever the leftover might be?

Will Mitchell start for under $175k a year?

Will Glenn accept any less than $250k/yr to be 'The Mentor'?

Will Huff be satisfied having a green $70-$80k guy as their trainee? (a non=mover/shaker like Goltz, Sunseri, Harris, etc.)

15. Rids

Rids Member

Nik Lewis moving on? http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/11/1...nik-lewis-may-end-up-in-ottawa--or-out-of-cfl

16. Rids

Rids Member

Sometimes Bronks I think you post these as a weird way to get me to post the facts.

The current list:

Anthony Calvillo 277 starts 167 wins - 60.3%
    Henry Burris 186 starts 100 wins - 53.8%
    Ricky Ray 172 starts 92 wins + 1 tie - 53.8%
    Kevin Glenn 154 starts 81 wins + 1 tie - 52.9%
    Darian Durant 87 starts 46 wins + 1 tie - 53.4%
    Kerry Joseph 108 starts 43 wins - 39.8%
    Buck Pierce 66 starts 36 wins + 1 tie - 55.3%
    Travis Lulay 54 starts 34 wins - 63.0%
    Mike Reilly 20 starts 5 wins - 20.0%

The rest of the landscape hasn't started double digit games yet.

Drew Tate 8 starts 6 wins - 75.0%
    Zach Collaros 8 starts 5 wins - 62.5%
    Bo Levi Mitchell 3 starts 3 wins - 100.0%
    Josh Neiswander 5 starts 3 wins - 60.0%
    Tom DeMarco 6 starts 3 wins - 50.0%
    Troy Smith 3 starts 2 wins - 66.7%
    Joey Elliott 7 starts 2 wins - 28.6%
    Tanner Marsh 3 starts 1 win - 33.3%
    Drew Willy 4 starts 1 win - 25.0%
    Justin Goltz 5 starts 1 win - 20.0%
    Max Hall 9 starts 1 win - 11.1%
    Matt Nichols 2 starts 0 wins - 0.0%

Bronko likes this.
  17. Rich

Rich Member

Looking at this season, what can they do? There will be changes, but what change will exercise the demon come playoff time? This was by far a better team then last year. I just hope that this is not the beginning of the end, a collapse like the last year or so before Walley left. On the other hand, how many more good seasons can be wasted come playoff time?

18. Bronko

Bronko Member

Great stuff Rids - but you forgot one. My old buddy Alice Brink, toiling on Montreal's system!!!

19. Rids

Rids Member

On one hand the expansion draft could be a great thing for the existing teams. Especially teams with an apparent logjam at some positions this could be a time to make holes for the depth to take over roles.

I could see Calgary making a deal before the expansion draft to send a receiver to Ottawa in exchange for a draft pick. (as far as I know teams can't deal for expansion draft picks - an NHL special feature....)

20. Rids

Rids Member

He wasn't on the list because he's technically not an active QB...but just for you - Alex Brink 7 starts 3 wins - 42.9%