Gearin' up for Sunday

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

The long range Environment Canada forecast for Calgary next Sunday is 5C (41F) under partly sunny skies.

If it holds, bad weather won't be an excuse for how the WF turns out this year.

C'mon Stampeders!

It's high time for you to redeem yourselves! ;)

TM

Tags:
    Bumpnrun and strujas like this.
  2. Rusty

Rusty Member

Hey Terry (Tundra). I heard you were at the last game. Sorry we couldn't make it. Will you be down for this game? I think it's time to get together for a game and a drink again. Our Stamps are going to dominate Sunday. Would be great to see you again.

Go Stamps Go.

Tundra Mustang and strujas like this.
  3. strujas

strujas Member

I'll be at the game this Sunday!!!! GO STAMPS GO!!!!

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Environment Canada now has Sunday's weather at 9C (48F) under sunny skies.

No excuses! ;)

Be that immovable object the unstoppable force of "Eskimomentum" is so desperately begging to meet...:D

TM

Jason Newlin and strujas like this.
  5. strujas

strujas Member

I can't wait to see our depth chart for Sundays game...Lots of players could be in lots of players could be out. Keep Edmonton guessing...

Bumpnrun and Tundra Mustang like this.
  6. strujas

strujas Member

Forecast looking good so far...

7. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey, Russ!

I did ask the "usual suspects" about you when Jackie and I arrived at McMahon on November 3rd for that horrid display by the Stampeders in their frigid regular season finale against the Bombers, but despite looking high and low for you, it appears that Rusty was nowhere to be found...:(

I also went to find Doogie in the stands just before kickoff so I did have a chance to speak briefly with him.

I've got an anniversary obligation this Saturday here, so I don't expect I will make it back to McMahon for the final game there this year. (It's too bad, given the weather forecast suggests there is no reason for the Stampeders not to put on a terrific display before the home crowd with everything on the line on Sunday afternoon).

I guess we'll have to postpone our get together (and those drinks) until next season. ;)

In the meantime, Russ, I know you'll be there to give 'em all you got, and will be cheerin' 'em on like hell!

It's what great Stampeders fans always do. ;)

TM

8. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

It appears Mother Nature will be cooperating come Sunday. One concern or obstacle out of the way for the Stamps. The weather should not be a factor. {I'm glad while I watch the game on Sunday I won't have to wear 9 layers of clothing.}
    Last year the weather wasn't a factor either and they played their most complete game.
    If DD is true to his word, I hope the competition in practice will be reflected by the depth chart.

9. Jason Newlin

Jason Newlin Member

Time to live up to your nickname Stampeders,
    RIDE LIKE HELL!!

strujas and Tundra Mustang like this.
  10. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Environment Canada is now hedging their bets a little on Sunday's forecast.

The agency is still predicting a sunny afternoon, but has lowered the expected high from 9C to a still pleasant 7C (45F).

However, the better news is that Monday and Tuesday are forecast to feature continuing mild weather, so there is some backing for Sunday's forecast (and therefore Sunday's forecast is not an isolated single day of good weather which might still fail to materialize).

So I think it's now looking solid for at least good weather on game day.

What about Calgary's game play in those conditions?

I have to say I'm far more optimistic about the Stampeders' ability to put out a competitive effort (and perhaps even a dominant one) against even a confident and momentum-filled Eskimos squad when the weather forecast is as favourable as this one.

All they gotta do now is go out there and play! :D

And on that note, let's hope they've been spending the their time very productively in game planning for this one...;)

TM

11. Jason Newlin

Jason Newlin Member

A very pleasant 45 degrees at kickoff,
    Sounds like a typical winter day here in Oklahoma.
    GO STAMPEDERS GO!!

12. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

In Alberta, with the proximity to the Rockies, and the dominance of Pacific weather systems, things can change around these parts in a hurry.

And the weather has started to shift.

The high (7C or 45F) under sunny skies continues to hold under the most recent forecast this morning, but after sundown (which should be about midway through the 3rd Quarter), the temperature will now fall off fairly rapidly. (As recently as yesterday, the temperature was expected to bottom out at 0C (32F) by early Monday morning, but it's now going to reach -7C (19F) by that point).

The point of this extended weather forecast is that the Stampeders "will have to make hay while the sun shines" on Sunday afternoon.

Literally.

I think it's going to be critical that Calgary gets off to a fast start on the Eskimos, since after sundown we're going to be heading into colder (and potentially icier) conditions.

Clearly not a blizzard, nor bitterly cold arctic conditions (at least by western Canadian standards), but cold nevertheless.

I think if the game is close and still hangs in the balance by the 4th Q, that temperature drop may play into the hands of the Eskimos, and weather conditions just might determine the outcome.

So build a solid lead out of the gate, then build again on that lead until you choke the life out of the Eskimos.

By then, the Stampeders won't even feel the cold. ;)

TM

13. strujas

strujas Member

I kinda like the bitterness/No respect the Stampeders are feeling going into this Western Final...They look extremely focused!!!

14. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

They're certainly not being given a lot of respect in this town.

The Edmonton media (Bryan Hall aside, who's reportedly quite nervous about the Esks' prospects on Sunday), is haughtily confident in the outcome of the WF this weekend.

Some comeuppance is certainly in order here...;)

C'mon, Stampeders!

Administer a healthy dose of it to the Eskimos, and their most deserving fanbase...:D

TM

strujas likes this.
  15. Jason Newlin

Jason Newlin Member

So, I'm guessing that Calgary is like Denver,both
    Are located at the base of the Rocky Mountain range.
    The 4th time Calgary and Edmonton have played this
    season. Let's go stampeders!!

IMG_4201.PNG

16. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, that's a relatively apt description of where Calgary lies in relation to the Rockies (about 70 miles to the west).

But Calgary's much closer to the Pacific than Denver is. The ocean is about 450 miles west of Calgary "as the crow flies", and I think Denver would be close to twice that.

TM

Jason Newlin likes this.
  17. Jason Newlin

Jason Newlin Member

Getting closer to game time. Hope this
    turns out great.

18. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Weather's still holding, with a forecast high tomorrow of 6C (43F) under partly sunny skies, but dropping off rapidly after sundown under clear skies to an overnight low of -8C (18F). Calgary's got some wind in the forecast today (W from 20 to 40 kph, or 12 to 25 mph), but these should diminish to 10 kph by tomorrow morning, so wind, (and, just as importantly, windchill) should not be a big factor in the game.

Media pundits are still divided on Sunday's outcome.

Some, such as Calgary's Ian Busby, don't like the Stampeders' chances (for reasons mirroring some of the concerns expressed by many of us on this site), while others, such as the CFL's Justin Dunk, still think that Calgary's regular season record means something, and the Stampeders' superior talent with its 5 starting receivers back on the field together for the first time since late July, the return to action of Roy Finch, a healthy and rested Bo Levi Mitchell, and an always dominant defence will make all the difference on the day.

For the record, I like Dunk's take much bettah! ;)

Go Calgary!

Go Stampeders! :D

TM

Madman likes this.
  19. strujas

strujas Member

Take a look at that Stampeder depth Chart for West finals...

20. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Make sure you guys check out The Podcast Huddle forum, there are a number of good preview podcasts regarding both the West and East finals.