Get used to empty seats Huff. No discipline = no care.

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Erik Estrada, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

I'm done. Today was the last one. Not going to another game at McMahon until Huff or the Flames ownership can do something to rid this team of the selfish play. Since Huff took over the Stampeders have become the most selfish team in Canadian football. Players change but the lack of respect never changes and that's on the head coach. We've heard the talk only to watch game after game the personal fouls that keep opposition drives alive and take points away from the offense. It's obvious the players don't respect Huff because their actions show it every week.

Tired of the talk. Don't want to hear it anymore. I'll still watch the games on TV but I won't support this team with my dollars and judging by this year's attendance a lot of people are getting sick and tired of the same old garbage.

Tags:
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

Huff is doing what Huff does best - ignore obvious problem areas while pretending to be cool....

Lewis killed his team with that undisciplined elbow smash to the Argo guy....

If I was a Stamp insider the two main areas I'd be concerned with

1. Attendance - Lord Lyle's strength was supposed to be ticket sales & promotions.....look for the lord to go into hiding!

2. Anemic offense coordination - personally I thought Dave Dick was gonna be the next superstar coach but he's been terrible with Hank and worse with Kevin Dregg

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

What was the first thing Huff said when he was hired? That his team would be much better disciplined & that team penalties would improve greatly. What have I missed here? Every year we lead the CFL in bone head plays & lack of discipline. Huff, talk is cheap/ Practice what you preach. Get rid of the players who keep taking selfish penalties.
    Game wise, our OL stinks. I mean, the worst OL in the league. Hands down. Our DL was non existent vs the run. And we got no pressure on Ray. Greg peterson named Eric Fraser the Canadian Player Of The Game. You see what he did on Jeff Johnson in the first quarter? let up on the guy when he could have tackled him Johnson picked up another 15 yards. All I see is the guy playing on the periphery at the edge of the play. fRASER MAY HAVE MADE 7 tackles but how many more tackles did he miss, muff or give on?

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

TSN is killing attendance. Saturday afternoon start times at 5 pm? Are they kidding???? Hey sure, if TSN gives each team a hundred million dollars then they can schedule games at whatever time they want. Otherwise, let the teams schedule the games at the times that will draw the most fans. The CFL is fast becoming a joke.

5. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

I think the Stamps are killing attendance with two straight years of poor play in front of their fans. I've been to a lot of Saturday afternoon games in McMahon in the 90's and last decade that have been close to 30k. Attendance hasn't been this bad since the Feterik years.

6. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

I thought it was just me, but judging from this post I am not the only fan frustrated by this teams unselfish play. For the third straight season penalties and turnovers will cost this team down the road.

I find it very interesting though that Calgary always seems to get the cheap penalties against them. I guess with Higgins in charge of officials why wouldn't they?

I know I'm going to be harshly criticized again by saying this: "since the Flames have taken over ownership of this organization the Stamps appear to be heading down the same path of mediocrity as the Flames with an apathy towards winning consistently" cursed is what they are I must do say.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Like you won't go to the games because of bad play, I won't go when the game time in the summer is 5 pm on a Saturday. I think a lot of people agree with me by staying away.

8. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

I saw a lot of younger kids there today and to me that's what you want to keep interest through the generations. I simply don't understand why a 5:00 start on a Saturday would keep a fan away. You can take your kids and still have your evening after the game. I don't believe the game time had anything to do with the attendance. I think that Toronto is never a great draw and that fans in general haven't been coming as shown from game one.

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, ten year olds can't buy tickets. By the time they get old enough to have wives & kids then coming to a football game in the summer during the late afternoon gets pushed down the priority list. Our summers are short enough as there is. In July & August people are on holidays, out of town, camping, etc. Personally, the CFL starts too early. No one is truly interested in football in June, July & August. When we played 16 games & syarting later, our attendance was much better. We really should start third week of July. Start training camp in mid to late June. Play 2 exhibition games & 16 regular season games. That way, the majority of games are in the fall AFTER Labour Day.

10. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Dude, ztella actually apologized to you? Don't do this to him man. ;)

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

A fan on the radio asked some great questions. Like where is the talent? We don't sign FA's after February 15th. We release players & never replace them. We let Archibald go & our line has never been the same. All we have are FA camps in the winter. The man is right. Just WTF are we doing as an organization to get better? That is what he was asking. Jock Wilson said he is happy the Stamps are starting 4 Canadians on the OL. I'm not as these guys aren't good enough... Where is the talent? Where's the next great offensive lineman? Where's the next great receiver??? Exactly... A great call. The guy nailed it.
    I tell ya, if we tank this season... come next February, the last thing I want to read & hear is the "as usual, the Stamps will be quiet in free agency". I tell ya.

12. Bronko

Bronko Member

Same ownership but two completely different problems. The Flames are a perennial sellout as NHL hockey in prairie cities is guaranteed to sellout about 95% or more of the games (Vancouver, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton). Flames problem is on the ice while Stamps now have huge off-field and on-field challenges.

Lyle looks like his days are numbered as Stamps president as the Flames management can't possibly be happy with the numbers he's generating. The owners will tolerate Hufnagel for at least one more year (he'll have to find an OC to replace the rapidly disinterested Dave Dick though) before sending Old John packing!

Flames now have the same problem the Stamps had - an ageing superstar vet who's sucking down a ton of salary and can't play allout for an entire 82 game sked (Iggy Poop) while the Stamps had Burris and finally reached the breaking point with that guy.

13. Flash

Flash Member

So you're saying that you called the radio station ISO?

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

A guy called in to CHQR & had some great comments & questions. He asked where the talent is? Where is the next great receiver, the next dominant offensive lineman or defensive lineman? He opined that the Stamps (Huff) won't sign any FA's after February 15th. We release players & never have anyone better to replace them. We just have FA camps in the off season. Are we scouting the NFL? Just HOW are we supposed to get better???
    Jock Wilson said he's happy we have 4 Canadians starting on our OL. Why??? They aren't very good. I think we have the weakest OL in the entire CFL. We aren't good enough. Not even close. Our DL is marginally better than last season. They had a couple of sacks tonight but for the most part RR had all day to throw the football.
    The guy nailed it. Great questions & comments.

15. iso_55

iso_55 Member

For the first time in 5 seasons, I'm actually beginning to question the way this team is run & how it conducts itself in the front office & sidelines. Never questioned Huff before but I'm starting to wonder.

16. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Sigh, seriously... I didn't say that. I said a guy called in.:rolleyes:

17. iso_55

iso_55 Member

But he did ask all the questions I would have. I'd have brought up the OL & the fact the best offensive lineman in the CFL in 2010 is now playing in BC because we were too cheap to pay him what he DESERVED.

18. Flash

Flash Member

You sure do love that Archie. Think of this. If they had re-signed him then they wouldn't have made the trade up in the draft to get Tsoumpas. So would you rather have Archie for 3 or 4 more seasons and always the threat of him walking to play closer to home or would you rather have Tsoumpas for 10 or 12 seasons and is pissed that Edmonton traded the pick so there's very little chance he'll go play at home?

You can't judge 2012 on a transaction made in 2010.

19. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Yes the past two drafts for sure haven't brought the Stamps any success. It has been truly unfortunate that he hasn't taken advantage of the team in the next locker room.

I agree with ISO_55 that I was listening to same caller and the points which were made by the caller were valid and so true. Maybe I'm not a coach or GM, nor do I pretend to be an "expert" on the game of football, but IMHO the game is played with emotion and execution. Tonight was a clear indication that more than just talent whoever watched the game saw a team inadequate of both. Give credit to the Argos they were the better team today. As a fan watching the Stamps all I ask for an honest effort, that is what disappointed me with the game today was the overall effort. Well on the bright side the special teams play is much improved from last season. Now only if the D can stop taking untimely penalties and the offense can have some creativity like in Hamilton maybe the Stamps can get off this YO-YO of win one lose one.

20. iso_55

iso_55 Member

"Archie" was left to walk in 2011. Tsoumpas was drafted in 2008. So, what am I missing here? We had a great OL in 2008 right thru until the Newman fiasco & then letting Archibald walk after the 2010 season. We made no attempt to really replace both except with inferior talent which we have certainly done. There have been CFL FA lineman that have become available since yet, all we do is think we're great & sign virtually no one. Like the Bombers, the Stamps are content to sit on their ass as an organization. This team is regressing now faster than it ever has before.