Glenn Admits Coveting No. 1 Job Still

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, May 30, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

football-calgary06sp11.JPG

Glenn admits coveting No. 1 job still, but is content in whatever role the Stamps have for him
    Veteran quarterback points out while there is competition at every position, team support is even more important
    Kristen Odland, CalgaryHerald.com

For Kevin Glenn, entering his 13th Canadian Football League training camp, everything is status quo.

And from his position as the No. 2 quarterback on the Calgary Stampeders depth chart behind Drew Tate — for the second straight season — nothing seems to have changed either.

“I think it’s good to sometimes have hierarchy in positions,” the 33-year-old pivot was on Thursday at McMahon Stadium following Thursday’s on-field workout. “That there is going to be competition. We have to name a No. 1, 2, and 3. I don’t get too caught up in it.

“Because, I mean, look at what happened last year.”

Yes, 2012. Glenn was still learning his new teammates’ names when he took over after Tate separated his shoulder early in Week 2. He was asked to take a seat when the Texan gunslinger made his return before the West Division semifinal then was thrown back into the mix when Tate broke his forearm that game.

In one of the best seasons of his career, Glenn led the Stamps to a playoff berth, going 10-5 in his starts, before dissecting the B.C. Lions defence in a 34-29 victory in the West final. The cool and calm veteran then found himself at the helm during Calgary’s Grey Cup appearance (and loss).

Welcome to the CFL, folks, where anything can and usually does happen.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...lenn+admits+coveting+still/8458483/story.html

2. Bronko

Bronko Member

Glenn is a businessman first and CFL QB second. He knows where his bread is buttered. In a land where no guaranteed contracts exist - Glenn is a lock to be Fragile Drew's backup and will probably see significant game action once Tait can no longer will himself onto the field.
    Easily the guy is the best backup QB in the CFL (now that Mike Reilly appears tabbed for starting duty in Edmonton).
    He can win games and he can lose games. His 10-5 record as a starter last year was a bit of an anomaly. To most, Glenn is a guy who will be slightly above .500 with a very good team and slightly below .500 with a mediocre squad.

3. Liske

Liske Member

Glenn is a capable starter in the league. I don't blame him for wanting the number 1 position. But there are not too many teams he could start for that don't already have a designated number 1 (usually younger and with more upside). Glenn isn't going to improve, what you see is what you get. He can win games, but he's not very mobile and will throw a bunch of picks. As a back up, there is no one better to have. Unfortunately, that's his status right now.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Glenn could very well be our starter if Tate can't stay healthy. All depends upon BLM & how his development continues. By mid season he could be the #2 qb & Glenn #3.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Whats your sense of Glenn's tradeability. Obviously, Winnipeg still has their head up their arse cuz of the new stadium effect and Buck Pierce losing 20 lbs. and coming to play at around 190/195. Same old story in Wpg every year with 'Crazy Optimism Bubble' ready to be pricked by idiots like me and teams from all parts.

6. Liske

Liske Member

I don't think Huf would trade him. He's too good of a back up for us right now. Our QB situation is the envy of every other team in the league. Glenn won't go anywhere until next year, when things will change because of the expansion draft.

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

I think Huff will hold on to KG as long as possible. If Tait turns into a monster starter and Mitchell starts displaying solid backup wares then Huff might deal Glenn prior to the trade deadline - especially if he can negotiate a nice packet of draft picks and a spot starter

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

A lot will depend upon how BLM develops. If he can show he's capable then Glenn may go. And if Tate can play without getting hurt.