Glenn happy to return but wants shot at Stamps’ starting job

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

In hopes of clearing up any misunderstanding, Kevin Glenn wants to the world to know he has every intention of reporting to training camp with the Calgary Stampeders.

Yes, he sees himself as a No. 1 quarterback in the Canadian Football League. And yes, he wants to compete with Drew Tate and Bo Levi Mitchell for the starting job in Calgary

But the 33-year-old has been around professional football long enough to realize the insanity of dwelling on things he cannot change.

The call on which guy starts — and which guy(s) hold a clipboard on the sidelines — rests solely with the man in charge, head coach/general manager John Hufnagel.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Gle ... z2Jeni4n2m

Tags:
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

The Little Man that Could has been fortunate to be relatively injury free last couple years. If he gets hobbled, even slightly he'll be of no use, even to a low-renter like the Bombers.

Huff has to chose between two young bucks with great promise (Bully & Tate) or a fairly old warhorse who can win games against low-renters, mediocre and upper mid-card teams but will gets badly scuffed vs. top defenses.

Good GMs and coaches always express total confidence in the guys they have under contract. Huff is no exception. But actions speak louder than words - if he keeps Glenn in camp it obviously means he's not prepared to turn the reins over to Tate or Levy but needs a 5'8", 34 yr old security blanket named Kev Glenn to remain on the roster.

If he deals Glenn to Winnipeg it means the torch has been passed. Huff would rather get a draft pick or a roster player than keeping Glenn tethered to the pine, regardless of how good a team guy he is.

3. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Huf has shown that he prefers Tate to Glenn when he decided who would start the west semi. I can understand why. Tate really has what it takes to make it in this league. Mitchell has shown some promise too. Glenn also has to appreciate that having the league's top rusher at your side helps too.

4. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Good to read Huff's comments in the article regarding how highly he regards BLM.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I'm not sold on Tate. His overall attitude & just some of the stuff he does.

6. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

He's a real wild child.

7. Doogie58

Doogie58 Member

No way Huff gets rid of Glenn. Not until he's sure BLM can get it done on consistent level on a larger scale and that Tate can get through a whole season injury free. The jury is definitely out on that one....

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Agreed. Not sure Tate is "The Guy". And... if Glenn can be used as bait in the expansion draft to protect BLM I am all for that.

9. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Sorry Glenn but you had your chance last year and thats face it you almost proved it. The problem is you choked in the big game. What have you won so far in your career as in big games? In fact your a back up and that is about it. If I had any say in where the QB's go this year you might end up third. Bo Levi Mitchell I really like in fact Tate might look in that rearview mirror.

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, the way I see it... The entire Stamps team (not just Glenn) played poorly in the Grey Cup. Lots of blame to go around.

11. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

agreed. at least Glenn got them there. no easy task winning in bc.

12. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Well sorry guys but Glenn did not look good at QB in the most important game of his career. Yes the team as a whole did not play well but Glenn being the QB is the catalyst for momentum and he failed. I am not sold on Glenn as a starting QB.

13. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I am less sold on Drew Tate as our long term starter than Kevin Glenn. He was the consumate pro all last season. He was thrown into a situation where everybody thought he'd fail. He handled adversity all season long with class & dignity. He was a leader in the locker room & field. What did we get from Drew Tate other than the Diva routine on the field?
    Remember the first game of the year when he threw Mark DeWitt under the bus for ALL to see on TSN because of a bad gun snap? Leaders don't do that to teammates.
    Then his actions on the bench where no one can talk to him. You kidding??? He's the starting qb for gosh sakes. He has to be accessible to the coaches & his teammates at all times. Not growling & scowling so much they are afraid to talk to him. He even yelled at Huff at one point for crissakes. I get where players need their space at times. But not everytime he comes off the field on a failed drive. What kind of leadership does that show?
    Then there were his concussion comments to TSN's Farhan Lalji on the sidelines at the end of halftime during the WDSF. Trying to be a funny guy but instead came across as a goof.
    What he said got the Stamps, Head Therapist Pat Clayton & Huff in a lot of trouble with the league. His comments absolutely made the organization & its physicians look like it was run by a bunch of clowns.
    If Drew Tate wants to be the long term starter here than maybe he has to grow up & act like a pro before he gets any kind of respect from me & other fans. Not including his injury but to me, he was a disappointment last season. His actions were incredibly stupid for a guy who played at Iowa & all these years in the CFL. He had to have known better.
    As far as the Grey Cup went, I don't know how you judge players but the Argos were a better team than we were that day & it wasn't all KG's fault. Not even close.