Going to a Riders game

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Rich, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Rich

Rich Member

I am taking the wife to the Sask/Montreal game on Aug. 16(yes I married one). I have been told by rider fans not to wear my Stamps jersey. I know that in any opposing stadium there are, well, idiots, but is Mosaic that bad? If it is it is nice to know that Calgary is more accepting of other fans.

I am a forever Stamps fan, but I would get season tickets and cheer any other city if I had to live there(but still wear my Red). There is one season ticket holder 2 rows ahead of my seat who wears his rider jersey but still cheers the stamps(until the greenies come to town). Anyone here have experiences going to Mosaic? Would really like to wear red, but now am starting to fear for my safety.

Tags:
  2. Addicted

Addicted Member

I've been donning the Stamps red in Regina for years with no issues at all, and I wouldn't be worried at all especially at a Montreal game. If it was a Stamps game, expect the regular jeering, but its all in fun. I've sat in the middle of the season ticket holders during a very lopsided Stamps win, while wearing a Burris jersey, cheering loudly, and it was all good.

At the end of the day if your not acting like a fool you'll be fine.

strujas, Madman and Tundra Mustang like this.
  3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

We have a few 'rider fans who are members here, but, unfortunately none of them have responded with the information you've requested (and obviously, neither has anyone else).

I've never been to Mosaic (or to its namesake predecessor, Taylor Field).

But my son (who was 29, and living in Saskatchewan at the time) has been to 2 or 3 games there.

He didn't report seeing anything out of the ordinary in terms of the 'riders fan's treatment of rival fans (but then he wasn't at any games when Calgary was playing, either).

I do know that there is (or was) a "University Section" at Mosaic which did not enjoy a good reputation for being controlled (I think that's where the beer bottle tossing antics began a few years ago which involved the some of the Green Horde in the stands and the B.C. Lions on the sidelines).

As long as your seats are not in or near that section, I wouldn't expect you'd have any real trouble at Mosaic (aside from the usual verbal taunts that you can expect almost anywhere).

It also helps that you are not going to be at a game where your red jersey would maybe count for more, since it's Montreal on the field opposing the Roughriders, and not the Stampeders).

Certainly, I don't think you'd have any reason to fear for your "safety", as long as your own behaviour doesn't provoke anyone to step out of line, and into yours.

Enjoy the game, and come back and let us know how your experience at Mosaic was. ;)

TM

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

You beat me to the punch, Addicted, by a whole 2 minutes! :D

Thanks for weighing in on this, since someone with experience there, and first-hand knowledge of fan behaviour at Mosaic, will always trump anything I can offer. ;)

TM

5. ArgoCister

ArgoCister Member

I'm interested in knowing how that works out Rich. Here in southern Ont. riders fans wear their jerseys everywhere ... Hockey games, high school football ,...... let alone CFL games in which the riders are not participating , ..... It would seem a double standard if they gave you a hard time.

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Hell, 'rider fans have even worn their Jerseys into church at our congregation here in Edmonton...

One that I particularly remember was a scout for the 'riders when he lived here.

So AC is right: given how prevalent their colours are across the country, there's no reason for their objection if you should wear yours...even in their house!

TM

7. Rich

Rich Member

Thanks for the insight. I probably will wear the jersey. Looking forward to the game. I was at the Grey Cup here in Calgary, wore my jersey then, had no problems. I am going to the labour day rematch in edmonton also, that may be different. I will post my experience when I return. Oh, is it really that different when the riders come here to play?

8. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm on vacation right now and witnessed a fully decked out rider fan, (including full jeans and a long sleeve shirt), in 37 degree weather in Osoyoos.

You can take the rider fan out of Saskatchewan...

:clown:

9. Dionysis

Dionysis Member

Me and a few buddies have done the Labour Day rematch game several times now and we are always completely decked out in red. No issues other than the usual loudmouth drunk on the LRT and everyone just ignored him.
    As has been mentioned before, as long as you act in a respectful manner, you'll have no problems.

10. fireguyfire

fireguyfire Member

Wear it with pride! Rider nation is the ultimate collection of hypocrites if they can't tolerate another fan base in their crappy stadium. We get it jammed down our throats 24/7 around the country and that is a source of "pride" for the bandwagon nation, but god help anyone who does the exact same thing.
    I get a kick of all the pissed off transplants when I wear my riders suck tshirt around calgary, and I have to defend my support of the stamps in their home town!

redwhite2005 likes this.
  11. Addicted

Addicted Member

Man, if I had a dollar every time I heard my Wife say that...........

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  12. Pinky

Pinky Member

We went to a Stamps/Riders game at Taylor field 6 years ago. We kicked their ass and won. There were 8 Stamps fans in gear in the entire stadium. We were 2 of them. It was glorious! Some people teased us about us going to lose but that was about it.