Good Morning, Vietnam!

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm off to Thailand and Vietnam for the next 3 weeks with my wife and youngest daughter as of dawn Wednesday morning, boys, so I'll miss the CFL free agent deadline, and everything else over here until the early part of next month.

I'll try to stay engaged and check in every now and again and follow along as best I can, so keep it real, guys!

Wish us luck during our stay on the other side of the world, and know I'm counting on you to keep me connected until I get back...;)

TM

Tags:
    Madman likes this.
  2. fireguyfire

fireguyfire Member

Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  3. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Indeed! Have a great trip!

4. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Have a fun and safe trip - post lots of pics.

5. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

After 30 hours of travel, we arrived in Thailand very early on Friday morning (which would have been mid-morning on Thursday for those of you in Alberta) We've now had 3 nights in Bangkok, it's just after 6:30 am on Sunday morning and we'll be flying on to Phuket in a few hours.

I have my Stampeders ball cap with me, and will take some pictures while wearing it in a few iconic spots if I can.

Thanks for the good wishes, fellas.

TM

6. Addicted

Addicted Member

Have fun!

7. bbrttemp

bbrttemp Member

Enjoy Thailand and the Nam. I was over there from 1969-1971 on the America Plan (82nd Airborne)! Can't say I would like to go back but the beaches around DaNang (China Beach) was nice!

8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Given the nature of your previous visit, I can appreciate why Vietnam might not be high on your list as a place you'd want to see again.

But I suspect you wouldn't recognize a lot of Vietnam now from what you witnessed during your time there with the 82nd Airborne, bbrt.

It's certainly not the same country I saw on television while I was in my teens and the war was raging on.

There are still some signs leftover from that conflict, but you have to look for them to find them.

We didn't make it up the coast as far as Da Nang, but we did get out of Saigon (which is now a city of 9 million people), for a week at Phan Thiet on the South China Sea. The place is now dotted with resorts and vacation villas, and is hardly the stuff of Apocalypse Now anymore. We also got into the jungle in the Mekong Delta in 106F heat. Didn't see any waterskiing behind Navy patrol boats there, nor hear any strains of the Rolling Stones music wafting through the air, either, but it was fascinating place to see.

Had some terrific southern BBQ in Saigon at a joint run by an expatriate Texan who moved there 7 years ago.

And Thailand.

No words for it other than awesome.

TM