Great Tour of New Bomber Stadium

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

It is looking really good. It will be a jewel in the CFL. I never thought my hometowen would build a new baseball diamond, football stadium & arena in my lifetime. And the kicker, an indoor facility with a complete footbakll fiedlright beside the new stadium.
    The fans here should be so lucky. The Stampeders have no indoor facilities, we need a new stadium for football & our baseball stadium here is a joke. The city with the most money in Canada is totally & utterly cheap. The oil companies really give nothing back to the community which is sad.
    As far as IGF is concerned, it's the right size to start out. Although with the new roof & support structures in the corners of each end zone it's not like they can wrap around new seats on the second level. Or make a third level between the goal lines. So, I don't know how & where the stadium can be expanded permanently someday. To do anything with that roof regarding permanent extra seating is going to be mega expensive in the future.

3. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

only when bronko sets foot in that stadium will it be truly blessed.

4. fishman

fishman Member

Uh...have you seen your world class zoo?

Far more than what they've given us outside of some blue collar jobs.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Just to be clear. I am not anti oil. I support the oilsands & the development that goes on. My beef is that I just see the facilities for sports we have in Calgary, be it at the collegiate, high school, community or pro level & we lack so far behind other cities. My complaint is we never hear or see an oil company taking the initiative to build an athletic complex, arena or fieldhouse. Never. I just think that they could do a whole lot more for the city considering the money in this town.

6. K_O_cowtown

K_O_cowtown StampsFans' Luchador & Moderator
    Staff Member

New Bombers stadium looks awesome! No more freezing your ass off in the north endzone seats.

As I visit other stadiums (Denver, Houston, Edmonton, and even Regina) I've come to realize how shitty McMahon truly is.

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

The poster from ourbombers deserves all the kudos for walking us thru the facility, pic by pic!

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

There are always people who say McMahon is still a greatr stadium but it's not. It is showing its age. The concourses are narrow. There's really not a lot of fan comfort things going on in that stadium & I think as the place ages more & more people are going to stay away. It's outlived its usefullness. Now that other cities are getting new stadiums it won't be long until McMahon is one of the oldest facilities in Canada. I still think corporate Calgary is letting things down.

9. Jayman

Jayman Member

It sure is a great looking venue.
    It carries a serious price tag.
    Some of us aren't convinced the Club, a community owned organization, can afford it.
    Before the club has one dollar for much needed additional coaching, draft management etc. it has to have a four point five mill profit to feed the juice. And it has to maintain that for a rumored fourty years.
    Don't see it, wish i did.
    It looks great but the price tag is more debt on one mediocre organization than the rest of the League combined.
    Gulp.

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, to me its obvious private ownership is the only thing that can truly make the Bombers profitable. The problem is, this isn't the NFL where owners like the Maras, Rooneys or the Bidwells own their teams for decades. A great CFL owner is often replaced by some fly by night crook looking to make a quick buck but usually loses his shirt (in more ways than one) like Murray Pezim used to do. The Bombers may initially find a great owner with deep pockets but like anything else, that owner would tire of losing money & would sell within a few years to the first bidder. So, I don't think the stability is there with private ownership.

11. Bronko

Bronko Member

The idea of orderly repayment of 240 to 260 million (by the time bills for over-draft come in) is a total b.s. myth.
    The bombers have to come up with another way to handle executive compensation cuz under the current model you either massively overpay incompetent men (even after you fire them) or you limp on with the same incompetents and eventually have your gates crashed by even the lemmings losing interest.

Right now the lemmings are lining up for the novelty of the first new stadium in nearly 60 years in Wpg. However, the hardcore attendance figure (those who live & die pro football and will always go to games) hovers at around 14,000 to 15,000..... which would mean if the team really gets despicably bad, you could easily see crowds of 20,000 to 22,000 at IGF. Not only would the team be unable to repay the 4 or 5 million a year - they'd also start losing an additional 1 to 2 mill. annually which the governments of the day would have to underwrite (or the team be ditched)

12. Bronko

Bronko Member

The reason stadiums get upgraded or replaced is two-fold.

1. They are community owned facilities (like Wpg or Regina) and eventually the governments find ways of injecting the facilities with fresh coin. (ex. 1 Wpg - where the NDP loaned the team around $125 million and the feds kicked in around 25 mill, city Wpg in for around $10mill plus goods/services; Ex. 2 is Regina where the team kicked in some of its own community coin (their coffers were much higher than Wpg) and the govt. in was way under what the NDP in Manitoba did)

2. The facility is private owned like Mtl or BC or Hamilton and the private owner decides to do the upgrades by himself but usually is able to coerce government inputs.

Its harder in places like Toronto (limited attendance and fan interest) or Calgary (private owner with a muncipal facility) to coerce govt. coin. Now with WPg and Regina emerging with crown jewels I can see Alberta kicking in some major coin for a McMahon upgrade within the next 5 to 8 years. For now, its McMahon stadium - the biggest problem is the current owners won't want to kick in more than a few million of their own coin - after all, they only capture revenues for no more than 10 games a year and hosting a Grey Cup every 9 or 10 years.

Guys like Lyle Bauer were used to bending the govt. ear in Wpg cuz he could always use the pressure tactic of if you don't give us money we'll die. But in Calgary, private ownership takes that weapon away and renders a govt. doinker like Lyle impotent.

13. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Nate, the only thing I would say to your previous statement is this regarding McMahon Stadium. It is not privately owned by the Stampeders. It is owned by the University of Calgary & the facility is administered & operated by the McMahon Stadium Society which is a not for profit group. So, they (MSS) could ask for government funding on the premise that it would not be for the betterment of the Stampeders (who btw... the team makes that stadium viable & solely pays for all maintenance & upgrades of the place)... but for the university itself & the community as a whole.

14. Bronko

Bronko Member

That would be the idea. However, I see a rebuilt McMahon Stadium (on existing land or new land) costing around $300 to $400 million (for a facility capable of holding 27,000 to 37,000 patrons)

If you're going to nearly $400 million why not investigate the idea of a BC Place type structure - can use it 365 days a year, makes a better Grey Cup host (although I kinda like them outdoor cups myself) and can be financed by a ticket tax, provincial/federal/civic contributions plus a Lyle Bauer Tax (various lotteries and fund-raisers to raise coin and show the team is trying to defray the eventual enormous cost)

I'd also suggest that the team's private owners appoint a community board and in conjunction with University of Calgary that the team be allowed to profit-share on non-football events like Rolling Stones, Billy Graham or Bill Clinton Crusades, Arcade Fire, Auto shows, conventions, etc.)

15. iso_55

iso_55 Member

There's talk of some kind of multi purpose use building. So, in other words a building that can be used for soccer, baseball & football. Something that is okay for any sport but not outstanding. With the Flames, don't know if it would include hockey or not.

16. Bronko

Bronko Member

If you had a MLB baseball team you have to have a nice facility cuz pro baseball plays 162 games (81 at home).....hockey needs a specific alignment, you can't play hockey at BC Place (ok, maybe one of them fancy NHL profile games) cuz its too cavernous for a sport that draws mostly 15,000 to 19,000 to games. I suspect Calgary might be able to construct a facility that holds 22,000 fans (biggest arena in the NHL) and sell out most of the time cuz hockey is such a corporate sport.

17. iso_55

iso_55 Member

There still is the question of a stadium... Here's what I think. Calgary USED TO BE a "Can Do" kind of town. If someone wanted to get things done, it got done. Now, it's just like any other city. If the Flames try & build a multi sports complex it'll get mired down in political rhetoric, people bitchin' & moaning about their property taxes, pot holes, no health care & red tape.
    I suspect we'll get something built eventually. But as I am 57 years old, I suspect it's at least a decade & probably more away from ever happening. I may or may not ever see it... Right now, not only is Daryl katz putting the screws to Edmonton, he's also screwing the Flames attempt at building a new function by being a complete idiot in his dealings with the City of Edmonton to get a new arena built up there.

18. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I actually bought a ticket to encourage them in their Real final game at CanadInns. Against Montreal no less. The very team they took first place from so unceremoniously last year. grrrrrr.....

19. Bronko

Bronko Member

My guess is around 8 years before a stadium is completed in Calgary. That means the political rhetoric and verbal diarhhea has to be emitted prior to 2018 so a facility can be bult by 2020.

20. iso_55

iso_55 Member

At least.