Gretzky Restores HNIC Greatness

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Bronko, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Wayne was the 2nd period guest with Ronnie McLean tonite and he did just a spectacular job of analyzing the series, talking about the state of the NHL and staying away from the controversy about how much he's owed by the 'semi-bankrupt' Phoenix franchise.

Funny, I always thought Wayne G. was a rather intellectually limited speaker but he's improved hundreds fold in the last 10 years. He could easily replace Donald S. Cherry as the new boy on HNIC..... but frankly some NHL organization should make this guy an offer to be an Assistant GM with multiple responsibilities, catering to Wayne's strengths (he's only an average bench coach so I don't see Gretz doing that gig again)

The guy is really, really hockey smart. The Jets or Canucks are fools not to bring this guy aboard. Especially the Jets, but the Wpg owners are pretty frugal with their $$$s and Gretz might be too rich for their blood - regardless of what he could do for them!

Tags:
  2. Rids

Rids Member

I think Gretzky is firmly planted in the spectator role now. What with trying to keep his daughter from making the family look too foolish and with two sons that will turn pro in baseball I think his days of a regular job in hockey are over.

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

That might be the reason he doesn't take a job with a specific team. And I don't think Wayne and Pee Wee Bettman are well-suited to co-exist in the league orrifice where Bettman routinely bosses intellectually diminished men like Brendan Shanahan and Kris King around like they were chain gang workers.

Frankly, the best place for Wayne would be Saturday nights where he'd make a nice add to HNIC (2nd period intermission) and he could do his piece via camera in an LA studio with the odd live appearance when he's visiting Toronto to look after his restaurant interests.

I'd welcome Wayne to the HNIC fold; especially after having to put up with years of PJ Laughing Stock, Healy, Andi Petroni, Mark Marek, etc.)

4. Rids

Rids Member

Unless he could do the segment from his living room I think the travel would be too much.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

I think HNIC would set up a studio in Wayne's home if he decided to come aboard. Thats a no-brainer, actually!
    Wayne could then make special live appearances when he's on tour in Toronto, New York, L.A. or Vancouver, even gracing Anaheim & San Jose.
    Good fit for HNIC as they are really getting stale and continually bringing less-skilled analysts aboard.
    I'd actually even welcome Wayne as an occasional color man on game broadcasts but that requires a ton of prep, something Wayne might not be prepared to do.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

With all the cutbacks at the CBC they'd find someone with a haloween Gretzky mask & do it from the guy's garage in Scarsdale.