Gutsiest comeback in Stampeders History

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

After 15 minutes I was ready to turn the game off.

Since I began following this proud club in 1967, I've seen all the usual signs of games in which the Stampeders are clearly out of as at the opening minutes of the game.

This was one of them.

The blitzkrieg by the Als was so complete, so utterly stunning, so convincing that there was nothing for me as a fan to do but look on in abject amazement and horror at what was unfolding, and continue to nurse my scotch without rancour.

The rout was so complete, I had nothing better to do than watch this complete car-wreck of a game unfold if for no other purpose than to continue to witness just how historic this apparent loss would become.

History would indeed be made on the night, but not in the fashion I believed it would.

After the first quarter, the unprepared Stampeders miraculously found their game (with the abundant aid of the most aggressively undisciplined team in the CFL who may well set dubious league records of their own for attracting the interest of the flag-throwing crowd).

After the change of ends following the first quarter, the Stampeders defence began to gel and the offence began to find its rhythm.

By half-way through the 3rd quarter, the boys in red and white had taken the lead in the game and wouldn't surrender it.

Players to single out:

Taylor: Some solid returns at critical points to give the Stampeders great field possession when they really needed it. Didn't break one for the distance, but as it turned out, he didn't need to...

Arthur: Real nice game by the veteran WR that many had written off. Some clutch grabs in traffic by a player who showed he's still got a lot to contribute...

Parker: Something of a breakout game by the 3rd year Canadian receiver who also made some clutch grabs in traffic and who almost got his first major score with a 12 yard catch across the middle and down to the 1 in the second quarter...

Glenn: Gutsy performance by the Stamps starter-by-default. He came back after making a poor decision throwing into double coverage to McDaniel which resulted in a demoralizing pick in the first. After that, he regained control of his offence and made the methodical comeback possible, until an Als hit on his throwing arm drove him from the game late in the 3rd quarter. My money's on his return for the game against the Bombers, but if not...

Mitchell: ...will be a more than adequate replacement after he came in to tonight's game with the decision still in the balance, and carried the game the rest of the way (including 2 TD passes as well as a 26 yard run around the right end on a 3rd down gamble which kept a critical drive alive in the second half). Calgary's got to be the most fortunate team in the CFL to have 3 signal callers of the calibre of Tate, Glenn and Mitchell.

Lemon: Nice pressure on Calvillo along with 1 sack and an assist on another on the Als pivot in his role replacing Hughes who couldn't go tonight. Nice work by Law as well working in tandem with Lemon with 4 tackles and 2 sacks of his own.

Bennett: Terrific play in running down DeVine after 90 yards and punching the ball out of the Als' player's right arm as he was bearing down on Calgary's goal line after an impressive kick return which looked to turn the tide for Montreal. The turning point in the game which preserved the victory for Calgary.

Cornish: Just another 'ordinary' game over the century mark again for the extraordinary Canadian running back...;). His game really got going after a slow start, and put up a series of first down carries when the Stamps really needed them in the first half. The regular season rushing title is far from decided despite what the green-clad residents of the trapezoid to the east would have everyone believe...;)

Paredes: What can you say? The guy is just money...4 FGs in succession before the last one was blocked. One away from tying a record which can still be his after the league ruling tonight that officially classifies his last attempt on the night as a fumble rather than a miss since the kicked ball didn't cross the line of scrimmage. Since the failure to block Bowman wasn't on Rene, I think it's poetic justice that El Matador not only still has a shot at Mc Callum's all-time mark, but he'll probably break it in the first half against the Bombers next week.

Calvillo: Despite the 1st quarter steam-rolling of an unprepared Calgary defence, as the game wore on, (and particularly when it was still on the line late in the game), Calvillo showed he is still not on the same page as his receivers with Montreal's gameplan. Is that on the new Alouettes coaching staff or on the veteran pivot? Given his HoF performance during his history wearing the tri-colours of the Als, I'd put my money on the blame falling at the feet of the new staff on Montreal's sidelines. I'd also bet that changes amongst that crew are in the offing....

Hebert: The 'Angry Bird' my ass! After his performance tonight (in which he caused his team some 30 yards in unnecessary roughness penalties, and nearly drew a 3rd one), he ought to be the 'Caged Bird'! ;)Dishonourable mention to Emry who should've drawn another major foul for his after-the-play nasty shove on Cornish in the 4th quarter.

An historic evening indeed.

And a win to boot.

What more could a Stampeders fan ask? :D

TM

Tags:
    Madman likes this.
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I happened to be in Toronto and saw the Dos Equis man plastered all over the city and figured this would be your night.

Hufnagel called it all the way 'the als WILL score more points. WE have to score more.' and they did. kudos.

3. fireguyfire

fireguyfire Member

What more could a stamps fan ask for?
    Doing the same thing to the riders in Regina!

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

or maybe selling out McMahon ? Pity so many Calgarians missed the opportunity to watch this historical game live from the stands. Even I bought a ticket for the occasion. Now at least I own a piece of cfl history.

5. CoachB57

CoachB57 Member

Well this was definitely one for the ages. In the 19 years I’ve had season tickets for I can’t say I've witnessed an effort like that from my seats in Section D. The level of intensity that we were able to rise to after coming out so flat is just incredible.

Now that Saturday is done and in the record books, let’s keep it that way and look back on it again after we win the GC #101. I know the Bombers are in the cellar, but we cannot overlook them while thinking about a bye week and then the Priders at home. That would be a recipe to disaster.