Hartley new Flames coach

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Madman, May 31, 2012.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

You know, maybe he's the best guy available. At least I hope so. Hartley does have great credentials BUT... he's the Godfather of one of Feaster's kids. They are best friends. We just purged the Sutters with the exception of one out of the organization. Just once with this team, I'd like to see the Flames make a hire based strictly on merit & qualifications & not being a brother or best friend of the General Manager.
    Okay, so Hartley's a veteran coach. Means the core vets will stay when they shouldn't. Means having to convince Iginla to buy into another system which, like all other coaches before Hartley means an epic fail. Another year of guys like Matt Stajan doing nothing yet getting paid for it. Kipper will play 65 to 70 games again & fade in the stretch out of exhaustion. Same old, same old. Nothing ever changes.

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

The simple fact that Hartley had an out clause for the Calgary Flames, (along with Montreal and Quebec City), clearly stated in his Zurich contract means Feaster wanted him before anyone else and told Hartley he'd be offered the job at the first chance.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Glad Troy Ward wasn't hired. Didn't like the way he handled Leland Irving. Punishing him for being called up by the Flames. I didn't want another "Iron" Mike Keenan coaching this club who uses his goalies as scapegoats.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Any speculation about which portion of the season Jarome will decide to take off next season?

ie.

A. First third
    B. Middle third
    C. Final third

Its usually not the final third as Jarome performs like a swiss watch once the Flames are essentially eliminated.....??? (besides, its a great way to accumulate career stats)

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Who knows? All I know is that he isn't the leader we all think he is. It was time to do a deal for the guy. But it won't happen.

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

I be totally surprised if The High Lord of Early Exits (Jarome) is dealt.

However, looking at the playoff games so far, its probably a good thing the Flames didn't make the Sweet 16 - as Jarome would have been exposed as a total fraud. He wouldn't have been able to take the close persistent checking, hacking and swacking, the Dustin Brown edginess, etc. Plus as an older 36 year old with too many miles on him, Jarome can't really play the 200 foot game anymore - he's a 140 footer, at best.

8. Christoph

Christoph Member

Will you guys lay off the negativity. Hockey is a team game and regardless, if you want to call Iginla a poor leader or a poor player at crunch time then maybe get your facts straight. Iginla has great post season numbers, always has. I've already posted about this in great detail so I don't feel like going through all the numbers yet again, so let me give you the gist. Iginla's playoff numbers have been BETTER not worse since his famous Con Smythe worthy 2004 playoff run. Yes that's right, his '04 run wasn't where his post season excellence ended, it's merely where it began. Yet it's his fault for early playoff exits? Okay then. Exposed as a fraud? He's been a loyal foot soldier for all these years and this is the level of respect he gets in return? I think you should be ashamed.

Nate you imply that Iginla plays his best hockey over the final third of the season when the Flames are already eliminated from the playoffs. Well there's one major flaw in that line of reasoning. The Flames are never eliminated that early. They're in it until the bitter end and fall short. Isn't this why we all complain, they keep falling short and don't even get a top draft pick in the process? So now that your facts are corrected your statement would read something more along the lines of Iginla plays "like a swiss watch" down the stretch in the heat of an intense, competitive battle for a playoff berth. If you want to criticize him for his slow starts to seasons (which can be costly months later when the team falls shy of the playoffs yet again) fine, but at least make statements of opinion that are based on actual facts.

I've been very critical about Iginla's lack of commitment to team Canada in non-Olympic years, but I see no basis for questioning his commitment to the Flames. We're talking about the best player in Flames history, a player who has never had much more than above average talent at best around him (worse than that at center) and is considered a great leader by fellow players throughout the league (have you guys already forgotten that he was an assistant captain for team Canada at the 2010 Olympics?) so I don't understand where all this negativity and absolute disrespect for his game and ultimately his character comes from. Some of you make it sound like he's some kind of pariah so please, feel free to enlighten me as to what he did to deserve that. And remember, heresay doesn't count as fact.
    [hr]
    There, now that that rant is out of the way I can return to the topic at hand. I think that in Bob Hartley the Flames hired the best available coach. Isn't this what we want? Lets wait and see what direction they go from here but generally I view hiring the best man for the job to be a good thing. Just sayin' :p

9. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I liked your sense of outrage better before the edit, Christoph...;)

That aside, what he said...

On all counts.

TM

10. Christoph

Christoph Member

Lol well thanks. I guess the reason why I toned it down is that I do see both sides and I don't think that Iginla is a saint or a perfect player, but he has been a great player and ambassador for the Flames and we've been lucky to have him all these years. 29 other teams and their fans would have been only too happy to have taken him off our hands years ago if we're so unsatisfied with what he's brought to the team. I'm getting fed up with how far people are going with their criticisms. It's bordering on the ridiculous to be blunt.

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I guess when the Flames miss the playoffs multiple years during his captaincy, refuses to play for his country & has been criticized for repeatedly not buying into different coaching systems it just shows the guy isn't a great leader. The guy has scored over 500 goals as a Flame. He's a goal scorer & that's all he is.

12. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

It should go without saying that your thinking it is so does not make it so.

It appears you have forgotten to preface your statement with the disclaimer that it is only your "opinion".

And it is not one which is universally shared.

Not even on this board...;)

Because sharing an opinion with Bronks does not constitute unanimity...:p

TM

13. Bronko

Bronko Member

I think we can all agree Iginla is the best Flame ever. However, he's a fading star (very slow fade btw, hard to see really clear deterioration in his game) but he paces himself, doesn't allow post-season repping of country and obviously has timed "rest periods" during the season. The record of the Flames is atrocious - their plan for the future is more bleak than succinct.

Not all Iginla's fault. But he hasn't been part of the solution!

14. Rids

Rids Member

They aren't my team but they are playing a team game. A team game that requires on average 3 goals to win a game. No individual even playing in competitive senior mens hockey is averaging 3 goals a game by themselves. Even there they'd need somebody to pass the puck to them once in a while.

Recently the Flames have been average in every unit. Above average goalie with an ordinary back up, average defensemen with occasional spurts of above average play, and average forwards. They win an average amount of games and entertain average fans on an average amount of evenings.

15. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I will keep that in mind & take it under advisement, TM. ;) However, it is my opinion & I firmy believe that a significant percentage of the fanbase would welcome a trade where Iggy leaves. The percentage is growing every year.

16. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Even your last statement is nothing more than conjecture, since short of canvassing the entire fanbase on a regular basis, you would of course have no means of measuring whether what must be the innumerable legions of Flames fans who are dissatisfied with Iginla's continued presence on the team, are in fact, as you suggest, "growing" in number, or whether the disgruntled constitute no more than a stagnant and stubborn "rump" element of that fanbase.

Parenthetically, I should say that my own money is on the latter...:p

But, it is of no matter.

It is clear that we do not view this issue from the same perspective.

That is, of course, nothing new.

I will, nevertheless, be bookmarking this thread for future reference...;)

TM

17. Rids

Rids Member

The straw poll should be easy enough, first home regular season game just count the Iggy jerseys in the stands. If there are more Iggy jerseys than other players (and I'm guessing that Iggy and Miikka would be the two most seen jerseys) then you'd have a rough idea.

Otherwise perhaps the Fan Attic would have numbers on the sales of personalized jerseys like the NFL keeps track of.

18. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Time will tell...

19. Bronko

Bronko Member

WoW - didn't realize Iggy Poop had more sheeples than The Lord had in Winnipeg - this guy can run on fumes forever!

And since he has no plans to hire Mike Kelly he can probably trot off into the sunset wearing a Flames joisey!

20. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Is any of that translatable into English, Bronks?

TM