Hey Bronco! Looks like you got your "1%" sales tax increase...

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Stamps Rule, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Hey, we got Redford. What are we so smug about?

3. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

Absolutely true, that's not something any of us should be proud of.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

How Redford can say to the media that she's proud of her government's last budget & her claiming that it has reshaped AB in a positive way just shows how out of touch & clueless she is. Proud of what? Lying? Breaking every election promise she ever made? Taking this province back into debt??? Just HOW proud, exactly?

5. Rids

Rids Member

It'll create jobs....just across the border into Saskatchewan and down in Minnesota/South Dakota.

One of my friends in Manitoba told me that there's no sales tax on clothes in Minnesota so they drive down to get back to school stuff.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Drive 4 hours from Winnipeg to Grand Forks to save ten bucks. That sounds like a plan.

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

Unfortunatly there's a very good chance that Premier Greg Selinger is mentally ill. Should come out in the post-tax wash.
    You don't bump PST by 1% in a dormant economy unless you're sick or want to exit the leadership stage and let Lurch Pallister (opposition leader Brian '6'9" Pallister take office)..... Selinger is cooked. Selinger has continually been a lying machine with local media, talking about manitoba's steady growth economy, meanwhile handing out a hundred million bucks to the bombers for a non-repayable stadium, handing out nearly 120 million to Gail Asper's toy museum in the forks but keeping welfare rates the same as they were in 1992 (about $285 a month).....Selinger's only hope is what he talks about often at dinner parties - that the people of manitoba are stupid - actually, that might be one area where he's right!

8. Rids

Rids Member

I know it's been a while since you had to do back to school shopping but 10 bucks per kid doesn't cut it these days.

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

Actually going to Grand Forks for clothing and electronics, misc. items isn't just a tax saving. It saves anywhere from 15 to 40% on most goods, sometimes even more on promo items. A large family could save 100s of dollars by going to Grand Forks, not just a tiny differential on sales tax.

Rids likes this.
  10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I'm talking the 1%. If that 1% motivates them to go to Grand Forks, more power to 'em. By the time you factor in gas, food & hotel, where's the savings? Winnipeggers like to go to GF, Fargo & even Minneapolis to shop... But that's a once a year thing for most people. I know, I used to do it myself. Having said that, thanks to Nate's NDP, Manitoba is one of the highest taxed provinces in Canada & has one of the least business friendly governments as well. Then again, our provincial government stinks so we shouldn't talk either.

11. Bronko

Bronko Member

Well, I used to be an NDP supporter during the halcyon days of Gary Doer. However, once Harper snapped up Doer to be U.S. Ambassador the gig was up as Doer left the party in the hands of a blob named Greg Selinger, a hothead who don't know if he was foot or horseback. Evidently, most of the NDP cabinet now needs RCMP or private service protection as many folks are hot enough to cause damage at someone's home, perhaps hurting a family member or somesuch. Even though Selinger is egging on manitobans, his kids don't deserve harm cuz a mentally ill pol jacks a tax. Selinger can't go to the crapper without some RCMP dude going with him now!!!

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

can you explain that last post with a little more clarity? I just went huh?

13. Bronko

Bronko Member

In short, the NDP (which I'm no longer a member btw) are in trouble. The 1% Jack on the PST was basically a cry for help from a govt. that doesn't know if its foot or horseback. There have been several potential situations at the manitoba legislature where unhappy citizens have tried to storm government offices. Thats why there's an enhanced security presence at our legislature and why Selinger now needs 24 hour protection.

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Really? Wow... Not good. Politicians today are just universally mistrusted & hated. When politicians start abusing the power they have, it isn't surprising.