How's this for depth?

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Christoph, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

Remember the late 90s when the top Canadian goal scorer heading into the the Nagano Olympics was I believe Rod Brind'Amour, who would finish the year with only 36 goals? Niewendyk would later pass him with a stronger post Oympic stretch, but no Canadian finished with 40 goals that year. In fact, of the top 10 goal scorers that year, only 3 were Canadian!

Contrast that to this year when only 3 of the top 10 aren't Canadian (see attachment below.) Perhaps even more striking is the fact that of those 7 Canadians in the top ten, 4 reside in the top 5! Looking deeper, 20 of the top 30 also bleed red and white.

And who says Canadians are all about grit and unselfish play? I think it's great. I love seeing the uptick in Canadians with a shoot-first mentality. Hopefully in Sochi that mind-set holds true and we can put the passive perimeter play on the big ice of Nagano (and more glaringly, Torino) behind us.

Get the puck to the net and get bodies to the net. Obviously it worked in Vancouver on the small ice, but it also worked in Salt Lake City on the big ice so there's no reason we can't take it to the world if we maintain that type of mentality in Russia too. You can't score if you don't shoot, I don't care what size or shape the ice is.

It's all about an aggressive mindset across the board. Each player has to think that way. They can't sit in the wide open spaces along the boards where it's comfortable like they did in Torino, waiting for someone else to make something happen. Not that we don't need puck distributors, but the bulk of the forward group needs to be made up of this new generation of speedy Canadian shooters headlined by Steven Stamkos. Guys with the desire to penetrate traffic and the skill penetrate the twine.

Tags:
  2. Christoph

Christoph Member

Presently the top 5 in both goals and points are all Canadian. Furthermore an astonishing 15 of the top 20 point producers hail from Canada!