Hufnagel not pleased how Expansion Draft went

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Hufnagel: 'I'm not real pleased about the day'
    CFL.ca

John Hufnagel knew he was going to lose a few good men on Monday.

That's exactly what happened as the Ottawa REDBLACKS selected quarterback Kevin Glenn in the first round of the 2013 Expansion Draft and then followed up by taking offensive lineman J'Micheal Deane and safety Eric Fraser in the second and third rounds respectively.

"I'm not real pleased about the day,'' said Hufnagel, who guided the Calgary Stampeders to a first place in the West Division as coach and general manager this past season. "I'm also proud that these players did a great job being a Calgary Stampeder. They're good people, good players and I wish them all the best going out to the nation's capital. They'll still be wearing red.''

Glenn, 34, spent the last two seasons with Calgary but was left unprotected for the draft by the Stampeders. After appearing in 15 games last year with the Stamps, the 12-year CFL veteran will be reunited with REDBLACKS head coach Rick Campbell, who served as Calgary's defensive coordinator last season.

Continue reading: http://cfl.ca/article/hufnagel-im-not-real-pleased-about-the-day

2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

He sounds fairly philosophical about it, though.

I'm sure he's distressed about having lost 3 solid players instead of some of the 'lesser lights' on the roster which some of the other clubs appear to have lost in the draft.

But when you've assembled the roster Calgary has, you're going to have more than your fair share of very good players who can't all be protected.

I'll bet Ottawa was salivating when they saw who wasn't sheltered...

TM

3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I also noticed that Huffer refused to be drawn into any brewing quarterback controversy over his remaining veterans when he brushed off Jermaine Franklin's query about whether he had a "hierarchy" established between Tate and Mitchell, or whether they'd both go into training camp on an equal footing to gun for the starting job. ;)

TM

4. oilpatchhilbily

Classy as always Huff! I think we got lucky and it could have been worse...wish those three all the best back East!

Always makes me laugh when he reminds the media that the QB question (among others) are his business...and they can find out when players take the field.

Your right about our roster Tundra, lets hope the "too long" offseason for the fans, is "long enough" to get all the boys back to training camp at a 100%. Injuries are a part of the game, but we took more than our fair share this year.

5. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Oilpatch I have to agree with you not saying the players we lost were not good players but it could have been players in an area we did not have depth. I think the loss of Maver would have been far worse then Glenn for sure. Fraser was not at his peak he was getting there but thats face it through out the year the critics were out on him. Deane Is the guy that will be missed but is replaceable. I thought for sure we would lose a canadian receiver.

oilpatchhilbily likes this.
  6. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

i'm guessing huf took a pounding from youknowwho for not protecting her bro. :mad:

;)

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

Huff is matter of fact cuz thats how Huff runs. If he didn't wanna lose Fraser he protects Fraser, simple as that. Especially when Glenn was extracted Huff had the option of protecting mo canadians. Fraser is easily one of the top 4 starting safeties in the league and potentially TOP 2. Not Huff's fault he had 3 potential starting (for anybody) QBs and could only protect 1. Deane was a depth issue.

8. Flash

Flash Member

Deane will be replaced by Brander Craighead.

Fraser will be replaced by the dynamic duo of Hecht and MacD.

Glenn was on the way out to make way for the Bo Levi Tate show.

9. oilpatchhilbily

Now that Glenn is gone, we have to ask if we'll see more than a 3.5 to 4 game season out of Tate? (two years in a row is more than a little concerning) BLM has lot's of potential, but not enough experience to lead this team.

10. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Training camp should be entertaining. And who is to say a good young QB added just might some day make Tate expendable if he is in the break mode yet again.

11. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

'Tis, in fact, very much a part of the natural order of the business they're in...

Expect it.

It'll happen.

And, as you suggest, maybe sooner than later...;)

TM

12. Flash

Flash Member

So 4 games from Tate, 14 games from Bo Levi and if things get bad we'll trade Kevin Glenn back to Calgary for a few spare parts....Scott Mitchell, Ben D'Aguilar, Matt Walter, Chevy...

13. oilpatchhilbily

hahaha, thanks but no thanks on that trade....I think Red and TM are right and the spring should produce of a few nice surprises (Huff and the Scouting Department have a real talent for finding talent). Loosing what Glenn did for us during the last two

regular seasons, will only accelerate what was going to happen anyway.