News Hufnagel "optimistic" that he'll re-sign Bo: Updated: BLM remains a Stampeder!

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

The Stampeders held a press conference today to discuss the pending CFL free agency period that commences tomorrow morning:

https://www.stampeders.com/2019/02/11/john-hufnagel-press-conference-11-02-19/

Hufnagel states that he has a figure in mind that he hopes will entice BLM, but from his comments, it looks as though Micah Johnson is as good as gone...

Tomorrow should be interesting.

TM

Tags:
  2. Addicted

Addicted Member

According to TSN, Bo says he has put the NFL behind him and will decide on a CFL team today. Stamps, Riders, and Argos very much in the mix apparently.

I’m sure hoping this is just TSN hype.

Come on home Bo, we love ya!

3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Sportsnet 650 in Vancouver reported a couple of minutes ago that Bo has now re-signed with Calgary!

I hope it's true!

TM

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

5. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

The Fan 960 has him scheduled for a telephone interview this afternoon with Pat Steinberg.

TM

6. Addicted

Addicted Member

Awesome news!!

7. Addicted

Addicted Member

Reports are saying Bo is a Stamp for the next 4 years, through the 2022 season. Financial terms not disclosed, but one has to assume he settled in the same area as Reilly.

8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Dunk at 3DownNation is reporting that Bo left money on the table to return to the Stampeders (namely $50,000.00 over his 4 year deal than the Lions will pay Reilly over the same term.

His salary in 2019 will be $675,000.00, rising to $695,000.00 in 2020, then $705,000.00 in 2021, and finally matching Reilly's at $725,000.00 in his final year.

Link: https://3downnation.com/2019/02/12/details-of-bo-levi-mitchells-contract-with-the-stampeders/

Great to have the best QB in the CFL back where he belongs in Red and White! ;)

TM

Addicted likes this.
  9. Addicted

Addicted Member

Yep, just read that, great negatiating by Huff for sure. Bo gets a raise every year as the salary cap increases making it allot easier to filll out a team around him

Welcome back BO!!!

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  10. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, and what's more, the deal's even better for the Stampeders than what I had initially reported.

Bo left $100,000.00 on the table over the life of the deal just to stay in Calgary, never mind the argument that BLM should have received even more per year than Reilly did.

Hasty math on my part, but bottom line is that Bo Levi's "sweet deal" is even sweeter!

Despite Calgary's other losses in free agency today (and there have been several that will hurt), this feels like a total win with the biggest prize of them all! :D

TM

11. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

It is great that Bo is once again a Stampeder , But with the amount of money given to him, what is left for Huf to sign other quality players to fill in the multitude of holes the Stamps have in their depleted roster? :(

12. Addicted

Addicted Member

Lets not forget that Huff has been nothing short of reliable when it comes to the pipeline of quality players he funnels into Calgary. We’ve been here before, I’m more than confident he will fill out the team with quality players. BLM is the cornerstone and he is capable of making average players better, an Dickenson is a genius is designing a game plan to play to the strengths of what he has to work with. We won a Grey Cup this year in a year that we were decimated at receiver.

I trust our system, our management and our premier QB.

strujas, Tundra Mustang and Bumpnrun like this.
  13. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Great to have BLM back. Too bad the opportunity in the NFL didn’t work out for him. He is better than half the backups playing right now in the NFL. Just shows the amount of “politics” there is that league. Their loss our gain.
    Now that Stamps have lost basically 60% of the starters from last year on D. I’m interested to see what magic Hufnagel has up his sleeve this off season to replenish and replace some really good players who helped this team win the Grey Cup last year. Going to most interesting.

Addicted and Tundra Mustang like this.
  14. AllSportsCalgary

I too am glad that Bo has resigned, and I am impressed with the numbers. They are high, but looking at the other announced deals, other teams have put themselves in even more dangerous positions, and Bo did give the Stamps a home town discount. I am pretty sure that Toronto and Saskatchewan both would have had more on the table.

I also think that true strength of the Stamps is off the field. Huf has provided a vision and continuity that other teams simply can not match at this time. Next man up is a neat little catch phrase, but it only works when the next man is competent and capable, and Huf seems to have an eye for off the field talent that is at least as good as his eye for on field talent. Every year, I hear that finally, the Stamps are going to slide. Yet, here we are, Grey Cup Champs and looking at a new year of challenges. I suspect that we will answer those challenges just fine.

Addicted, Bumpnrun and Tundra Mustang like this.
  15. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

I like to think that when you play for the Stamps it is very well organized and classy organization to play for. While we might not have the most snazziest stadium in the league, Hufnagel and company always puts a competitive team on the field that every season the team is in the mix for a Grey Cup ring.
    Also any player that signs here knows that the option any NFL aspirations starts with this team.

16. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

With what the Stamps lost today, the CFL Draft will be extremely crucial for the Stamps! The defense was gutted as well:
    D-line, linebackers, some DBs.

17. fireguyfire

fireguyfire Member

Definitely excited about Bo’s deal, and worried about the D; in Huff we trust!
    Kind of thought the same last year when we let Hughes walk and it worked out fine.
    It will be an interesting season for sure, and I think the Stamps will quietly go about their business from here with their remaining money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strujas and Tundra Mustang like this.
  18. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

19. AllSportsCalgary

If that is true, then EITHER the salary cap is going to go up significantly, which is not what I understand will happen in the new CBA, or Toronto are complete Idiots (ya I know those two things aren't mutually exclusive)! With the current salary cap, I can in NO WAY see how it is possible to pay that much of your allowable seasons salary to one person, and field a team that is remotely close to competitive. As a QB, I think you would also have to be completely mercenary and horribly short sighted to take that large a cut of pie. The offensive line in front of you is going to be get you killed before you ever have a chance to collect your money.

20. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

And I think that is probably the very same conclusion Bo Levi reached in ultimately signing in Calgary where he left enough on the table to ensure the Stampeders could actually field a competitive team around him.

In fact at his press conference at McMahon, BLM stated that he had done exactly that 4 years ago when the Stampeders extended his now recently expired contract.

Money is not unimportant to him, but winning is an even bigger incentive, and so is his legacy.

On those counts, Bo made the right decision.

TM