Signing Hugh Charles to Calgary (update: Released)

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jul 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

According to Vicki Hall, Hugh Charles will be added to the Practice Roster today.

Tags:
  2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Stampeders seek insurance policy at running back in Hugh Charles

With Jon Cornish and Matt Walter sidelined by concussions, the Calgary Stampeders need an insurance policy at tailback.
    Luckily for the Stamps, a proven and viable commodity is available on the open market.
    As such, Hugh Charles, 28, is expected to surface Monday at McMahon Stadium for assignment to the practice roster.
    Battling back from a torn Achilles tendon suffered two years ago, Martell Mallett will draw the start Friday against the B.C. Lions with plenty of help from fellow import Jock Sanders.
    With Cornish on the six-game injured list, Charles gives the Stamps another option and long-term protection should the CFL’s most outstanding player in 2013 need months, not weeks, to recover.
    In one game with the Saskatchewan Roughriders this season, Charles carried the ball 13 times for 86 yards. He also committed a costly fumble that led to the winning field goal by kicker Paul McCallum in a 26-13 loss to the Lions.
    Perhaps looking to send a message, Saskatchewan head coach Corey Chamblin sent Charles packing for his transgression.
    A six-year CFL veteran, Charles has 401 career carries for 2,170 yards and 15 touchdowns in stints with both the Roughriders and Edmonton Eskimos.

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2014...rance-policy-at-running-back-in-hugh-charles/

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

So, if last year someone told you that our backfield 5 weeks into the 2014 season would be Martell Mallet and Hugh Charles, you'd accuse them of being on methamphetamine.

I'm glad Huff went out and grabbed Charles though - although, was there ever a doubt Huff was going to do something?

Last week showed us that we can't be a pass only team and a strong run game is an absolute necessity in the CFL.

oilpatchhilbily likes this.
  4. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

LOL.

They must have figured that Walther will be out for awhile if we're signing Charles.

5. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm guessing a quick call was made to the Charles' camp after Cornish went on the 6 game just to test the waters, but you have to think John Murphy was back on the phone with them before the end of the last game.

6. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

The signing is now official.

STAMPS SIGN HUGH CHARLES
    Calgary Stampeders head coach and general manager John Hufnagel is pleased to announce the signing of international running back Hugh Charles to the practice roster. As per team policy, terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Currently in his seventh CFL season, Charles has rushed 401 times for 2,170 yards and 15 touchdowns and added 82 receptions for 995 yards and five touchdowns over 55 games with Saskatchewan and Edmonton. He has also returned 78 kickoffs for 1,718 yards, a 22.0 average.
    http://stampeders.com/article/stamps-sign-hugh-charles

7. Liske

Liske Member

Interesting....Huf must not be comfortable with Mallett. I remember that game between the Riders and BC where Charles fumbled. That wasn't Charles' only fumble during his career. He has a history of turnovers. Not sure if I like this signing.

8. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

I think it's a matter of having 2 solid backs available to us. With Mallett's injury, I don't think you want to lean on the guy too hard and risk further injury.

And we can't have Sanders back there playing as much as he did - that's removes the threat from our return game as even Jock himself said he was getting winded and had to be spelled out by McDaniel.

So the need arose to have someone to split the duties with Mallett.

9. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

American, (er, I mean "International" ;)) running backs with some talent are relatively easy to find, which is why there is frequently such a 'turnstyle' at that position with CFL clubs until one finally comes along with enough ability to stick around for more than the proverbial 'cup of coffee'.

But finding one with the ability to stick sometimes involves not only talent, but frequently also someone with enough smarts and experience in the pro game to allow him to adapt relatively quickly to the team's offensive scheme.

And finding one with CFL experience is not as easy as finding one with talent.

Charles, whatever else he might be considered, is a player with that experience.

I'd take that over some hotshot with great credentials who's coming straight outta college.

Ironically, while experience is something everybody has to learn from, you can't teach it. ;)

TM

10. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

I suspect that the Charles signing is, for the most part, an insurance policy. Stampeders should be scouting NFL camps waiting for talent to become available.

11. oilpatchhilbily

Should have stayed outta trouble Joffrey.....2014 could have been your comeback year lol.
    Glad Huff has it covered yet again....haven't heard anything at all about Walter (probably won't till we get closer to the weekend).

12. GoStampsGo

GoStampsGo Member

Good signing until Cornish comes back

13. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Hugh Charles has been released by the Stampeders.

14. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

You knew that was coming but he came in has hired help until injuries were solved. I hope he catches on with another team he is a good guy.

15. Liske

Liske Member

Is Mallet still in town?