I'm supportive of Stampsfans.com, but what's the issue?

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Stamps Rule, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

Is there some underlying issue here that the lay person isn't aware of regarding the now 3 competing forums?

I don't get it.

The reason I ask is because ever since Stampsfans started, ISO and TM haven't been posting on GSG, and anyone that posts on GSG doesn't really post here.

Tags:
  2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

No issue at all whatsoever. (actually, thanks for making this post)

I'll explain my reasons for creating this site and hopefully that'll clear things up.

When GSG went down and stayed down, I got tired of waiting for a site to come back that hadn't been looked after by the owner for a number of years. We were right at the cusp of the season starting and the new jerseys were scheduled to be revealed very shortly, it made little sense to me to have no place to talk about the Stamps. I also knew that even it GSG did make it back, it would continue to be targeted by spammers and other nefarious types because of the lack of updates to the underlying forum software.

So I thought why not create something totally new that would be fully supported instead of waiting and hoping?

I contacted TM and ISO to bounce the idea off of them and they both responded very positively - so I moved forward and created what you see today with the help of the 4 mods in place.

Any underlying "stuff" between members of GSG I am totally unaware of and was NOT the reason this site was created. I was a pretty big lurker at GSG for quite a number of years under a couple different usernames.

Let me know if that helps at all, I'm open to answering any questions people have about StampsFans.com.
    Madman

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

SR, what Madman says is true. We started this site up not as competition for GSG but because at the time... THERE WAS NO STAMPS FORUM as it was down for almost an entire week. The only one who even attempted to talk to the members was Chill & he did that from Esksfans occasionally saying he didn't know when the site would be back up because they couldn't get a hold of Mike or Calf who are the site administrators.
    As Madman said, the jerseys were set to be released. Training camp was only a few weeks away. As we had no idea if GSG was ever even coming back we decided to start this site so we as Stamps fans could still talk to one another. With chill posting on Esksfans & things not looking promising, we went ahead & started SF.Com. And that was it. Nothing nefarious, nothing underhanded & no secret agendas.
    Now, having said that, if there is any antagonism or bad feelings, it is not on my part. I sent a PM to Geo weeks ago explaining why we started up StampsFans.Com saying the very same things Madman & I just said to you as to why we started this place up. I wanted to explain the situation to him & I specifically said in the PM that we should talk. However, he chose to never respond to me. To be honest, TM & I don't post much at GSG because we both don't feel welcome anymore.
    Hope that clears things up for you.

4. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

No, I think what you've done here is great.

GSG was toast for a long, long time and I'm actually surprised that it took someone as long as it did to start something new.

If anything, I'm kind of pissed that GSG wasn't cared for as it should have been and now the community is being forced into competing with each other for attention.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yeah, I feel the same way. I sense some anger directed towards me for reasons I can't fathom. I seem to be the poster boy for everything that happened when I didn't do anything. People should be angry at calf who decided that now was the time to come back & take ownership of GSG again after being an absentee owner for years. I agree with what you said. If he & Mike didn't want to run the site or own it anymore why didn't they hand it off to somebody else or sell it? Instead, they left it in the hands of the mod team which made it tough for them to resolve any major technical issues by themselves which was totally unfair to them.
    Anyway, my focus is now on StampsFans.Com & not GSG or Horseman. We want to build & develop a great site here. We need members like you to help us, SR. I hope you decide to become more active. Glad you are here.

6. Christoph

Christoph Member

I can't comment on behalf of iso or TM, but I know my posting on GSG has dropped too but it's not out of a conscious decision to snub that site. I don't really post a ton on message boards these days because I don't have the time, so it's only natural that my involvement elsewhere has dropped because of my commitments here. I would imagine that my fellow members of moderator crew here are pretty much in the same boat. I'm an Indianapolis Colts fan as well and I haven't posted on one of their forums in months so by comparison I think I'm doing pretty well with staying involved with the GSG community.

Let me be perfectly honest, I have nothing against GSG. In fact I still have a soft spot for it and it's sad to see the way it was allowed to crumble. They're the site that brought us all together after all! How can that not be a good thing? Regardless, it's been a frustrating site the past few years and I was starting to look for an alternative last time it went down, but at the time there wasn't one. The emergence StampsFans was a breath of fresh air and I was happy to come on board with what they were building.

We're still the little brother but we're committed to providing a consistent, reliable place to talk CFL football. The great thing is that this site has an active and dedicated administrator who is constantly working to improve the infrastructure of the site. GSG's software was getting pretty dated (to no fault of the moderator team over there) which was probably part of the issue.

It's unfortunate that some people are painting us as the bad guys because the reason this site was created was to provide as service for all of us as fans of the Stampeders, a service that appeared to have disappeared for good. The future is bright for fans of the Stampeders looking for a place to talk football and I give guys like Madman a lot of credit for having the vision to create something to fill the void GSG left. The site is growing slowly but surely and hopefully more people will give us a chance. Don't worry, we don't bite.

Very often.

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

Frankly, I feel welcome on both stampeder boards. As an outsider (Winnipeg Bomber fan for nearly 50 years) I am pleased by the demeanour of folks both on GSG, SF and the soon to be merged Horseman/GSG sites.
    No other sports sites show respect for the posters like this one (imho) and as a guy who's been banned for life from both Wpg Blue Bomber sites I speak from experience.
    What the Stamp sites lack in numbers it makes up in credibility, quality of writing and poster consistency.
    Sites like ourbombers and riderfans have far more members (and thus posters) but the quality sometimes leaves much to the imagination.
    The key to Stampsfans getting more action is perhaps to obtain a celebrity poster (maybe someone like Doug Brown, Obby Khan, Brenna Rose, etc.) and get spinoff from regular media outlets

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

It also needs a few quality posters like yourself to post a lot of discussionary topics. Nate, you are controversial but you also generate traffic. This isn't Ourbombers. We want you to feel at home here to start as many posts as you want. Everyday. All day. 24/7. Get to work, Nate! ;)

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

Its funny. If I wrote a controversial topic or theme on ob I'd be flamed by a flock of haters (the usual immature suspects) but in the end generate a lengthy number of pages for discussion.

However, I look at things differently in Cowtown. Rather have one good quality response than pages of friggin' hate-mail - much better to have one person be affected by one's thoughts than a sadsack group of haters who have nothing to add but personal attacks!

10. Rids

Rids Member

We could up the hate mail if you're more comfortable with that scenario...

11. Bronko

Bronko Member

You sure you don't have any Winnipeg roots, Rids????

12. Rids

Rids Member

HAHAH! My brother lived up in Ochre River for a few years, my college roommate was from Oakbank as well as one of my groomsmen was from there too. Those are my only ties to the black fly nation.

13. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

Yeah, I'll be here from now on, that's for sure.

I'll be honest and say that I don't quite like the layout as much as GSG, but it works.

It's a little "busy" with a lot of buttons and information. I like sleek and simple, but I'm not paying for it either, so beggars can't be choosers.
    [hr]
    And finally, a Stamps forum without an ongoing Sandro DeAngelis banner.

Thank God.

14. Christoph

Christoph Member

Plus you're fun to, well, poke fun at Bronks! And you can take it and laugh it off which is somewhat rare these days.

I'm definitely glad you're on board and an active participant.

You make a good point about having a celebrity poster. Cornish I'm looking at you. Stay away from those RiderFans guys. They're dangerous. They've got pitchforks! ;)

15. stampsfaninedm

I agree with this 100%. I don't like the layout of either new site but if we are choosing sides, i would come here. It sucks the GSG is gone.

16. Christoph

Christoph Member

I agree. There was a certain sentimentality in that place after all these years of meeting up there to talk Stamps. But hey, at least the people aren't going away, just the site itself. I guess it's like your favorite old pub closing its doors. You and your friends won't stop hanging out just because it's gone. You'll find a new place, preferably one that won't have major problems with its "plumbing" every few months... ;)

17. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Glad people are making choices here. I won't comment on the new Horsemen site as I've only visited it once to take a quick look. Two things that stand out for me is that we are two divergent sites. The other is that we could never merge under one banner. Geo, Chill & the Captain have all worked together as mods for years. They are comfortable & work well together. They make a very good team without us.
    We are the new kids on the block. We have a very good admin & mod team. I'm proud to say that I am associated with the people running this site. It is a privelidge to be working with Madman, Tundra Mustang, Rids & Christoph.
    I'm also proud to say that it is exciting to be in on the ground floor of a new website that is doing well. People from GSG know who we are & why we started this site. Our site is new but we aren't. People are free to pick & choose which sites they like. For some, it'll be both. For others it will be just one site & we are okay with that.