Is the Problem with the CFL that there are... Too Many Canadians?

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Christoph, May 22, 2012.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

Now before you go and shoot the messenger, let me make it clear that this is merely an article I stumbled across. I'm not saying I endorse it. But anyway, go ahead and read the key paragraphs yourself.

Personally I think he makes some decent points, but the biggest problem facing the CFL these days may be the increasing acceptance of non-tradition talents by the NFL, especially at QB. These are the types of players the CFL has always thrived on, and suddenly, is being deprived of. And I'm not just talking about running QBs. Would an incredibly talented but miniature passer like Drew Brees have been allowed to blossom into perhaps the most prolific passer in the NFL if he came along 20 years ago? Or would he have been left to ply his trade in Canada (probably) and light up opponents, putting on the kind of aerial show CFL fans have so enjoyed over the years, but are being treated to less and less often lately?

I don't know how on earth you go about addressing this issue, but I think it's becoming clear that the CFL needs to find the vision to do so. Maybe it's time to sign a deal with the NFL to be a direct developmental league (not unlike what the AHL to the NHL), this way maybe those developmental non-traditional prospects would actually see the CFL field once again... even if it's not over the long term. Already the best and brightest flee south for the bigger NFL paychecks at the first opportunity, but at least this way the CFL would be privy to players that are suddenly too coveted for NFL franchises to take a chance on allowing to slip through their hands.

I don't know, maybe I'm dead wrong, but I'm sure everyone will line up to let me know. ;)

Release the hounds!

Hmmmm, poor choice of words? I'm not calling any of you dogs. No not even Nate. :p

Tags:
  2. Newton

Newton Member

Re problem in cfl

The article is dead wrong.

The CFL is the only place developing pro Canadian football players. Without the ratio that would stop. Canadian players are great athletes who are just not "as ready" to make the jump to pros in most cases...you cant look at Canadian players who flourished and not acknowledge that most of them didn't arrive in the CFL that way. Usually they are developed on special teams and it takes years to be ready to bear on a regular basis.

The league would have never seen Cornish or Fantuz or Sapunjis without the ratio.

Remember when the CFL went to Baltimore ...and they had the option of not employing any Canadian players...do you remember how many they employed (hint ...the number rhymes with hero)

3. Christoph

Christoph Member

RE: Re problem in cfl

I know this! I know this!

Six?

No seven!

6.5?

Yup, nailed it.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Problem with the CFL that there are... Too Many Canadians?

Only number I know rhymes with hero is ZERO....

But they were all deemed "honorary" canadians, weren't they??? lol

5. zBrain

zBrain Member

He starts off on false pretense. The NHL and NBA are multinational leagues. Which is ironic given the N in both means national, but I digress.

His second mistake is to somehow think that the CIS is completely irrelevant. It is *developing* which takes time.

Did the US give up on college hockey because Russia and Canada (and a good number of others) were better, or because college hockey isn't as big of a draw?

Then this gem: "On the other hand, there are countless Americans with superior ability who need a job in pro football much more than their Canadian counterparts."

That sentence outs the author as being a complete dolt. He then tries to justify it by saying they need it because they are stupid, and their degree isn't worth the paper it's printed on. I think there are a few people that might take exception to that.

Do you think there are people in the US that have jobs when there's an unemployed person elsewhere that could do it better?

Could that Canadian kid be happy on $40k, and not care to be on wall street?

If you are going to try to argue for a lower or no ratio, at least come up with a good argument. This guy is a loser.

6. Christoph

Christoph Member

RE: Is the Problem with the CFL that there... Too Many Canadians?

Couldn't have said it better myself! Besides my argument for what's hurting the CFL the most these days is the correct one, meaning that this idiot's is by default incorrect. ;)

p.s. Welcome to the site zBrain. We can always use more intelligent posters like yourself.