Is there a time when it's okay to key someone's car?

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Christoph, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

Stamps Rule's thread about the reflective stickers on people's cars reminded me of a funny story. I was joking when I said I only deface other people's cars, however there was one exception and it's a pretty funny story. But I'm going to be mean and make you wait until you answer the question above. Is there a time when it's okay to key someone's car? Come on even the best of us have wanted to do it at least once or twice before.

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

When I was 18, yes. Mid 50's, no. Just because my values have changed. Don't believe in vandalizing or damaging somebody else's property. So, as to not to kill this thread, assume I'm 18... :)

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

When its OK to key someone else's car.

1. When they've keyed yours first.
    2. When someone parks so close you can't open you door and slide into your seat
    3. When someone gives you a 'Safeway Special' by wacking you paint by carelessly opening ther door in a grocery store parking lot

4. When you just feel the need.
    5. When some idiot has a Doug Brown license plate.

4. Christoph

Christoph Member

Hahaha Nate, leave it to you to hit the nail on the head with one of your points there for what happened with my incident. I'll leave you guys guessing a little longer as to exactly which point he nailed though. :p

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Number 2.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Number 5 - somebody keyed him a #97

7. Christoph

Christoph Member

Haha actually got it half right. I'll give you both credit though because it happened in a Safeway parking lot.

Alright I won't hold you guys in suspense any longer. Here's the story.

It was about 10:30pm and my fiance and I ran over to Safeway to grab a couple things for a date night. As you can imagine at that time of night the parking lot was almost completely empty, there were maybe 5 cars tops. Just when she was starting to open her door to get out this car comes flying out of nowhere and parks literally inches from her door. I mean she literally had to slam it shut again. Then she goes to open it again and the driver does the same. They both close their doors again and then the driver proceeds to stare her down, throw his hands in the air in exasperation and slam his door into ours.

He and his buddy get out, look right at me and start walking into the store. I'm stunned, I mean who does that? After I managee to pick my jaw up off the floor I get out and call after them "you know you just slammed your door into us" (I know way to state the obvious right?)

Anyway the guy turns around and says, "yeah, what are you gonna do about it?" and keeps walking. All he had to do was say, "yeah sorry about that" or something along those lines and I would have let it go. It's not like I have the nicest car anyway and besides I really don't get angry easy, not since I grew out of my temperamental teens a decade ago lol.

Speechless I sat back down in the car. My fiance was pretty pissed and was about to slam her door into them return. Normally the voice of reason when the temperature rises I turn to her and say "no, no don't do that..."

"Can I go key her car?"

She looks at me as if to say "wha????????? You of all people are suggesting this???" Don't get me wrong I still wasn't mad, just incredulous. I mean like I said before who does that?

So calmly I get back out of the car (trying not to laugh actually because I've never done anything like this before), go around to his door and proceed to scratch a big smiley face in the side of his car. With it's tongue sticking out no less. (Betcha no one's done that before!)

What am I gonna do about it? That's what. Now what are you going to do about it buddy? :p

Hey he asked the question and I felt obligate to give him an answer. I mean I wouldn't want to be rude or anything. ;)

Not the brightest tool was he? Doing that and taunting me and then leaving me alone with his car!

Needless to say we left immediately thereafter and picked up snacks elsewhere.

8. Bronko

Bronko Member

You did the right thing, given your level of anger. Actually, the perfect thing to do was to tell 'Johnny Jerkass' that he caused damage to your vehicle, you're going to take a few pics with the help of a Safeway employee/witness and submit it to the provincial auto authority for investigation and possibly levying a deductible and a charge against the other driver.

When you actually witness events like this it puts them in another perspective. When someone opens a door flagrantly (sometimes its a struggling senior, an ignorant child or an irresponsible driver) then you can either record and report (most times nothing comes of it) or draw a Doug Brown icon on the other vehicle and cause the other idiot to steam up with no recourse!!! The choice as it often is - IS YOURS!

9. Christoph

Christoph Member

Actually I wasn't angry. I don't know if this makes it better or worse, but it was actually a completely calm decision. Not that I'm for vigilante justice, but the guy deserved it. He literally asked for it ("What are you gonna do about it?") As I said, I felt obligated to answer him. ;) Plus it was hilarious. Maybe that makes me a bad person but instead of being angry about it all night we couldn't stop laughing.

10. Bronko

Bronko Member

Johnny Jerkass gonna be one unhappy camper when he has to cough up $300 to $500 bucks to clean up your artwork!!!! If Stephen Harper was commenting he'd say you were good for the economy!!! lol

11. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Keep dispensing that invaluable legal advice, Bronks!

You'll help to keep legions of children of defence counsel in college with those stellar pearls of wisdom...;)

As tempting as it was, you get caught keying the other guy's car, it constitutes a criminal offence.

All it takes is one witness.

TM

12. Bronko

Bronko Member

True dat, TM - whats your take on the initial offense, when the other car blatched Christoph's vehicle?

13. Christoph

Christoph Member

Meh, his car may have been newer than mine, but judging by the look of it he didn't really take care of it.
    [hr]
    Don't worry, it was a dark and deserted parking lot.

And I had a ski mask on.

So did my licence plate. :p ;)
    [hr]
    Hey all he had to do was apologize and I would have let it go, even if I was pretty sure it was intentional. I would have given him the benefit of the doubt, even if there was little doubt in the matter. At any rate, his actions post door bashing erased any doubts that it may have been an accident, and in the process, proved he was a prick.

Lets see, so we've got a wide open parking lot but he decides to screech up as close as he can get to one of the few cars there, and force them to close their door so as not to have it taken off. Then he gets angry that he and my fiance both went to open their doors at the same time and ended up in a "you go, no you go" situation. Literally there was a stare down. It was pretty amusing in hindsight. Anyway, or some reason that was enough to prompt him to bash our door with his even though he could have parked anywhere and avoided the whole tight squeeze. Then he he stares me down as he walks past and taunts me about it when I ask him if he realizes he hit my car. Was my response a bad idea and an unnecessary risk? Yes. But I don't regret it in the slightest.

Like I said though I wasn't angry at any point, just incredulous. All he had to do was give a halfhearted apology and I would have given him the benefit of the doubt. Like seriously, what's wrong with people these days.

It reminds me of an accident my fiance witnessed at NAIT where a guy backed up (fast) in the parking lot and took someone's door off and then got out and started yelling at them like it was somehow their fault.

By that logic I guess I should apologize. It must be my fault that guy parked too close to me at Safeway and then slammed his door into mine. Yes slammed, not bumped.

14. Bronko

Bronko Member

The only thing that Councillor T. Mustang and Clubhouse Lawyer Bronko might agree on tonite is that you were lucky NOT to get your head blown off.

From what you've disclosed it looks like Car from Hell was looking for trouble! And those types of peeps don't care about deductibles or responsibilty....

15. Christoph

Christoph Member

Hey don't stereotype. Just because it looked like this does not necessarily mean it was the car from hell.

[​IMG]

16. iso_55

iso_55 Member

TM is right, Christoph. Sometimes it is best to walk away... We meet ignoramuses everyday. That's the 56 year old in me talking, now... My 18 year old self would have probably done a tap dance on his hood. Maybe even picked a fight & got my head punched in. I used to be guy with a short fuse. There are times when I'm glad I'm getting old. ;)

17. Christoph

Christoph Member

Like I said I wasn't angry, and I did walk away...

With almost as big a smile on my face as his car door. :p