Is Tilman Shopping? (for a QB)

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Don't know what Steven Jyles status is but with Kerry Jo being nearly 40 and semi-ineffective most of the time who would be the early choices for Eric to drag into town?

1. A proven but vet in Cleo Lemon (is he still active)

2. An experienced dud like Ryan Dinwiddie

3. Put together a trade (dangling Boyd or Charles) with an existing CFL team

4. Pull in an out-rider, a fresh NFL cut albeit with zippo CFL experience and hope Kavis can have him ready in 3 to 5 weeks....

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Not many quality backup qbs around anymore. Other than starters not a lot of depth like there used to be.
    Mike Reilly in BC may be a starter someday but it won't be in BC.
    Who knows if Brad Sinopoli can play.
    Adrian McPherson seems to be quite happy to be a career backup in Montreal behind AC. He's another qb we don't know if he's capable of playing or not.
    Then there's Drew Willy in Saskatchewan. Is he capable of being a CFL starter someday pushing Darian Durant?
    Maybe Joey Elliott in Wpg. But if he is capable, then the Bombers won't trade him. Quinton Porter is another careeer backup who may be available for cheap.
    Instead of wondering about Tillman, perjhaps you should be asking which qbs could be drafted by the new Ottawa team as CFL squads can only protect one qb. Elliott, Brink, Pierce, Drew Willy, Bo Levi Mitchell, Brad Sinopoli, Mike Reilley? I think that is a more interesting subject.

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

Too early to start yapping about the QB package in Ottawa (lol)

You brought up Porter. I think he might be the one ET wants in an Esk uniform as he presents a different packet of skills than Jyles or Joseph. (classic dropback, 6'5", can run when pressed), knows the CFL

If I'm the roster-setter in Ottawa I'm looking for who Winnipeg exposes in the draft. Can't protect all three guys so I wouldn't be surprised if Drowsy Joe protects Elliott and the Riders pick up Alex Brink.
    Possibly the Riders QB roster will look something like
    Brink, McPherson, Mike Reilly with Reilly ascending to a starter's spot within his first year.

4. Rids

Rids Member

Edmonton has Matt Nichols waiting in the wings and Jeremiah Masoli waiting behind him.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I have heard that Nicholls is The Next One. That remains to be seen. Who is #3 in Regina? Is the qb from Troy still there (Levi Brown) or was he released?

6. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

I anticipate Tillman like other GM's in the CFL are looking towards next season and will probably sign players to the practice squad first to see if they can play up here. My interest would be on a QB by the name of Josh Portis. Recently cut by Seattle, but from the limited action that I saw was excellent mobility with good arm strength. The bigger field would surely be one of his strengths.

7. Rids

Rids Member

Kerry Joseph has been announced as the starter for the game in Hamilton. Look out Jyles...

8. Christoph

Christoph Member

You mean Matt Nichols in Edmonton? They certainly did hype him up in the off season, but he really hasn't shown much. Yet.

Still, I'd much rather have our own Bo Levi Mitchel. He's from the same college but is younger, more athletic, has a stronger arm, and just happens to have smashed all of his Edmonton counterparts school records.

I'm also very worried we're going to lose him to Ottawa...

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

We have Brad Sinopoli here. He is an U of Ottawa grad & was a bit of a legend when he played there. In the interests of building a fan base there, I can see the Ottawa team selecting him.

10. Bronko

Bronko Member

I think most CFL GMs & scouting staffs play two games each season. One is the schedule and the other is the future.

Tilman & Buono seem to attribute approx. 50% of their energy to both aspects. Thats smart business cuz if you forget about tomorrow you'll end up going dry today.

It was pointed out today and reinforced on TSN radio that the bombers Jo Mack has shut things down for the year in the futures dept. and the bombers are "playing these", meaning they aren't bringing in a strong import or two to reinforce their sagging team. Finance has taken over from team upgrading. Totally sad, cuz with over 300 recent NFL "last cuts" in the market there might lurk the next John Helton, Garney Henley, James West, Ed McQuarters, Ron Lancaster, Matt Dunigan, George Reed, etc.

It also means that notorious bomber idiots like Hefney, Kenny Mainor, James Green and Buffoon Boatman can take as many stupid penalties as they want - cuz there's no replacement pipeline!

* Not totally true, as CFL rosters usually sit around 54 men this time of year (with backups, injured reserves, taxi squad, etc.) but it means you will have to replace an undisciplined man with a spare who couldn't make the roster. Not an enticing proposition.

11. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Good for Kerry. Jyles looks done.

12. Bronko

Bronko Member

Deuvy - there's always room for 30 yr old spare QBs in our league, but Eric will ride Kerry Jo til Nichols is ready, no point having a $225,000 pine-rider on the team. He'll try to deal Jyles first, if he can't he'll thank him for his great service to the team.

Jyles might be considered a quality 3rd string guy for Montreal, Hamilton. He can do a ton of things with his legs, some things with his arm, not much with his mind.

13. Rids

Rids Member

I believe that we've hit the guarantee part of the season so if they jettison Jyles they'll have to pay him out.

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Good for Kerry? He's one of the reasons a lot of football fans aren't watching the CFL. A 39 year old qb who should have been washed up years ago is still playing. Where are all the young up & coming qbs? In Winnipeg?? I don't see them.

15. Rids

Rids Member

Honestly I don't think the fans care about the age of the players and if it wasn't for the TSN guys bringing it up every 30 seconds the focus would stay on "can we win".

16. iso_55

iso_55 Member

It's the age & the fact that Joseph has never been that good of a qb to hang around this long to begin with. He's this decade's version of Reggie Slack. My big beef with the CFL is that they keep trotting out these CFL retreads instead of developing younger qbs... Where's Matt Nicholls? In Toronto, we have a very old Jarious Jackson. In Montreal a rapidly aging & not getting any younger Adrian McPherson. In Hamilton, an older now & obvious can't ever start quarterback in Quinton Porter. As I said before, I don't see a young stud qb emerging waiting to bust out like Dave Dickenson did or Jeff Garcia here in Calgary before him. Or Tracy Ham who was making waves behind Matt Dunigan & Damon Allen up in Edmonton nearly 3 decades ago. Or Dieter Brock as he did in Winnipeg in the mid 70's pushing both Don Jonas & then Chuck Ealey out the door. This league has YOUNG stars at every position except one... quarterback. What will the CFL be like in 5 years? It's almost scary to think about it.

17. Rids

Rids Member

iso you sound like Bruce Dowbiggan here.

Young QBs:
    Drew Tate
    Bo Levi Mitchell
    Mike Reilly
    Matt Nichols
    Trevor Harris
    Joey Elliott
    Alex Brink
    Justin Goltz
    Dan LeFevour
    Drew Willy
    Josh Neiswander

What you don't see is the 90's Calgary sports media touting the accolades of the 3rd string benchwarmer/towel waver/clipboard holder because the focus has been put on "The Franchise" Drew Tate, his shoulder and the vet replacement Kevin Glenn. Calgary media posted article after article about Kevin Feterik and how he was the future long before the cardboard king of California bought the team. These days it's hockey for 339 days a year and the football had better be good during the other days or it's shuffled to the back.

18. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Your list has young qbs, yes. With the exception of Tate & now maybe Elliott, Brink or Willy the others on the list don't excite me as the next young qbs that are going to make it. When you compare the young qbs of today to 30 years ago, most couldn't have played back then. There's not a lot of real talent. Most guys seem content to be benchwarmers for years. Could you see guys like Ham, Dunigan, Allen or anyone else back then who eventually started as being satisfied as career backups? I can't. Yet, we have those guys today.

19. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I said good for Kerry ,not good for the Eskimos . :D

20. Christoph

Christoph Member

Don't forget that semi-decent Travis Lulay guy out in BC Rids. He might be good one day too :p