Is TSN's Coverage Hurting the CFL?

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Christoph, May 22, 2012.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

I'm sure a few people here will be all over this article... As in they will be shouting "here! here!" within the first few paragraphs.

Tags:
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

Here. Here.

Sounds like something that idiot Nasty Nate might write, eh?

In actuality, TSN suffers from something I call monopoly-itis. They have no competition for televised games. When CBC went down in flames for CFL coverage that signalled a bad era.
    The article's worst indictment is the so-called "High School Announcing Crews" but thats obvious everytime Rod Black is herkin his jerkin for 3 hours. As bad as Blackie is, the other guys aren't that much better.

And while CBC's announcers had degenerated badly after Wittman went down, CBC's production was way closer to NFL.

TSN's production is small-box. Its an arena production, not a stadium production. Thats the way I see it.
    Panels are the saving grace of TSN's coverage. That, and they don't have any other significant sports property other than feeding off american network coverage of golf, car racing, NFL feeds, NBA, etc. TSN no longer has Blue Jays coverage, that hurts now that the Jays are back in the mix. TSN out-duelled CBC for curling coverage but they treat their curling like their red-headed stepchild.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Been saying that exact thing for years. regarding football. Could care less about curling & I used to love the sport. Since the 3 & 4 guard zone came into play, it's unwatchable to me now as the Euros couldn't play the tick style of game teams like Kevin Martin used to play but that is a whole other story for another thread.
    I have alwasy loved the TSN studio panel but the on field in the booth crews absolutely SUCK!!!Suitor has always sucked since his man creepy man love for retiring BC Lions player Jamie Taras 15 years ago in his final game & he has never gotten better. Rod Black is horris, absolutely horrid & there's no other way to describe him. Did I say he was horrid??? How about adding a monstrosity in the booth. There are first year MRU students who could call a better football game than him. Then there's the production... bang freaking on... The telecasts look like something from the 1970's except back then we had Don Whittman, Frank Rigney, Ernie Afaganis, Tom Mckee & johnny Esaw so the telecasts had actual talent in front of the cameras & behind the mics. I give Duane Forde a little credit, as even Cris Collinsworth or Troy Aiken would sound brutal working with Black.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Imagine Black working with John Madden???

Or even Little General??

TSN is regularly getting scorched about these "problems". The only reason they don't change is they don't recognize they have a problem or they recognize they have a problem but are too comfortable (read profitable) to do anything about it.

Replacing Rod Black with Michael Landsberg just substitutes one pooper skooper with another!!!

5. Christoph

Christoph Member

I think Nasty Nate hit the nail on the head. Why invest more money into something when you already have a monopoly? All this comes back to the CFL for allowing TSN to buy their way into such a monopoly. It's always better to keep at least two parties competing to produce the superior product.

I don't know how many of you play video games, but the same thing happened when EA was awarded exclusive rights to make licensed NFL football games, the quality of their Madden NFL products plateaued or even declined. Fortunately I don't care since I haven't owned a game console in about 5 years now...

I must be getting old eh. ;)

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

The funny thing about TSN is they get artificially propped up by CFL sponsors, players, coaches, etc. about how wonderful a job they're doing. Nobody under the umbrella dares tell the emperor he has no clothes. Thus, gunk like Rod Black, Duthie, Dutchy, Kate Beirness, etc. get all pumped up thinking they are actually good broadcasters. They're not, obviously. Rod Black wouldn't even make a good wrestling announcer.

7. Newton

Newton Member

and yet ....CFL coverage has never been more comprehensive or more professional. Canada is a smaller market, CFL gets a smaller production budget. I accept that.

Its not as good a telecast as Monday night football, or even hockey night in Canada, but its better than not showing pre season games, not televising any games until Labour Day...Chirs Walby isms.

8. Rids

Rids Member

What is hurting the CFL is that it's about a month to the regular season opening and they haven't announced the foreign broadcast schedule. Gotta know where the game will be available down here!

Also I never knew that last year they were broadcasting into Mexico too. That's a big bonus.

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

League appears to be plodding a bit. Prolly due to making concessions to Wpg as per lateness of new facility

10. pizmo

pizmo Member

So the Bombers are going to play in Mexico?

11. Rids

Rids Member

Bet they'd draw a nice crowd in one of those 100,000 seat stadiums.

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The. Chihuahua Chicanos. Can't wait.

13. Christoph

Christoph Member

Piz you can't finally show your face and not say something funny or dirty or both. I'm disappointed. Very disappointed.

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

What I have never understood is how TSN has never listens to the criricisms of its on air broadcast teams & never acts upon those criticisms. Both Black & Suitor are panned as terrible by everyone yet they are back every season. It feels sometimnes that the management of TSN thumbs it nose at fans deliberately. I believe that they truly don't care what fans think or seem interested in trying to make the broadcast quality better..

15. Christoph

Christoph Member

Why bother when you have a monopoly. It's much easier just to coast along...

16. Bronko

Bronko Member

TSN coverage could actually be worse.

Try PJ "Laughing" Stock as gameday host.

Or Bryan 'The Shill from Edmonton' Hall as primary pbp guy.

Georff Currier from CJOB as secondary pbp guy.

Other free-loaders TSN could poach - Mark Lee, Steve Bisonhead Armitage, James Curry, Troy Westwood.

They've also got a few peaches in their own backyard - Kate 'Lady Chucky' Beirness, Mikhael Landsberg, Esq., Maggy (Mike) Kelly.

And if you wanted to start begging for Black and Suitor to comeback just give us John Wells & Jimbo Toth.

17. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I would take John Wells over Rod Black in a heartbeat!!

18. Bronko

Bronko Member

Close call = one guy a drunken derilect the other a derilect drunk!

One other similarity when it comes to experience.

Both gents born and raised in Winnipeg (actually Transcona for Black)

Both guys have the same amount of experience

1 year - in Cactus, Jr's case its 1 year repeated about 45 times

in Blackie's case, he's repeated the same dreadful year only about 30 times.

Wells is around 72 or 73 now. Black is a virtual baby at 54 or 55.

19. iso_55

iso_55 Member

if John was a corpse he would still be better than Black. How a guy with such little talent has lasted this long in broadcasting is unbelievable.