Isaac and Ball fined

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Brandon Isaac and Marcus Ball have been fined by the CFL for illegal hits on Stampeders running back Jon Cornish. Amounts are undisclosed.

Thanks to Daniele Franceschi of Argos Admirals for the scoop.

Tags:
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

The 3 second delayed hit on Cornish warranted at least a half-game suspension plus fine

Interesting to note, Bob Irving reported that AC Calvillo was also fined for that karate kick motion he tried when a defender picked off one of his passes. AC misssed the guy by a country mile but the mere motion of a kick warranted a fine - EVIDENTLY! Probaby in the $50 to $75 range. (a laugher as Irving said)

3. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

4. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

I'm still puzzled how the officials didn't at least flag the Isaac hit as it happened right in the open.

5. Rusty

Rusty Member

If Cornish was injured and had to leave the game he should be suspended. He should have to miss the next game against the Stamps. That would be the Grey cup game. Little dick.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

You do realize we're talking about CFL offiicals, don't you?

They're about one step up on crustaceans and Rod Black on the food chain!

Probably the CFL should have a booth offiical as most of the other guys are usually blinded by action. A zebra 40 rows up could monitor the field of play with binoculars plus replay.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

As Perry Lefko tweeted today, too many penalties aren't being called by the officials. Something has to be done. Like penalizing the officials or removing them if they keep missing blatant calls like the hit on Cornish & Glenn.

8. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

If a team is not BC or TO the league will just hand out fines. Remember it is mandated by the CFL to make sure at any cost this year to have both teams in the Grey Cup. If the refs pulled the flag against the Stamps one David Brailey would be on the horn to Higgins and Cohon crying foul anyway.

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, to be fair, the league suspended Khalif Mitchell of the Lions for what he did to Simeon Rottier.

10. fishman

fishman Member

Watch the replay again then Nate, AC connected on the kick into Williams thigh.

11. Bronko

Bronko Member

I guess I trusted Irving too much fishman. He's been a fairly honest broker on his radio for nearly 40 years but the guy is in his mid to late 60s and probably starting to go blind. He clearly stated AC missed Williams 'by a country mile'. If AC got the mule kick into his thigh he deserves a fine - perhaps a yellow card (they should give these out) and if you get three yellows over the season you have to miss your next game via suspension and additional fines.

12. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd be far more interested in a news release from the league which indicates the results of its review of it's officials' inability to have seen the sanctionable plays in the Toronto game, one of which caused Corndog to retaliate.

That blindness should not go unpunished.

But it likely will.

At least as far as the public record is concerned.

TM

13. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

I realize that they are the worst officials in all professional sports but man that one like the hit on Glenn was right in the open in front of the officials. I don't know if they missed the calls as much as they simply chose not to call them wich is pretty scary.

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The head of officials is Tom Higgins. And I don't say that as if he would have a vendetta against the Stamps as I don't think he would. But he is a football coach. He never reffed a day in his life. So, why is he in charge of officials? It is a joke, really.

15. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

The problem I have is it is not happening one game at a time and I do know that the job they do is difficult at best. But to many blatant calls are not be called. As I have stated before that Jon Cornish has made himself a target and when I say this many of these idiots Isaac are deliberately targeting him because they know one they can get away with it and two that Cornish will react to it. So with this occurring the refs seems to have ignored this and that my friends is where I believe the refs have done nothing but ignore this and are just waiting like vultures for Cornish to react. So call a pig a pig there is nothing more one can say that is very obvious.

16. Christoph

Christoph Member

Way to go CFL. Way to make a statement. And the statement is that unprovoked blindside assaults to the heads of defenseless opposing players after the play is completely fine. It won't be flagged. It certainly won't be suspended. As long as you can tolerate a discreet hand slap after the fact feel free to concuss away.

This after the exact same thing happened to Glenn mere weeks ago. CFL discipline (or lack thereof) is an embarrassment.

17. Christoph

Christoph Member

Should I be ashamed that I eagerly await the day someone (did I just hear Nick Lewis stand up?) takes Brandon Isaac's head off with ferocious block? Knowing Lewis he won't even have to do it in an illegal manner to get Isaac better than he got Cornish with his classless, gutless, douche bag move.

Maybe Cory Boyd will even do us a small favor tonight...

edit: make that Monday night. Still puzzled by that scheduling peculiarity. It's not like it's Labour Day yet.