Jade Etienne comments from bomber site

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

This is from an experienced poster/fan named JuranBoldenRules. To me it represents the best commentary on the Bombers and Jade Etienne, their 4th overall pick in the CIS draft last season

This whole Etienne thing is one of the most mind-boggling situations I can remember watching the CFL. 4th overall pick, dresses for every game, but doesn't contribute ANYTHING to the team. You have a bunch of guys picked after him who are solid contributors to their teams. An undrafted guy has come in and completely leaped over him on the depth chart. Our 4th and 5th round picks in 2011 are better CFL prospects. Even this year you have a guy like Chambers who we passed on as a receiver who might be the best NI receiver on our roster if he was on our roster last night.

Then we do the same thing with Pencer, except instead of a physical neophyte we draft a monster with 2 defective shoulders. We've traded good players for draft picks, granted they were players that we didn't want anymore, but I think we need to value our high draft picks more in the short-term. Most of these guys won't last more than 3 seasons, you better get something out of those picks. If you offer me a 25 year old who [/font]can play with a little upside vs a 22 year old who can't play with loads of upside, I'm taking the 25 year old everytime. That age difference does not matter, by the time they are 30 chances are neither of them are professional football players. Chances are with a guy like Etienne that even if he does develop he won't have his best CFL years as a Bomber. I'd much rather be the team poaching those guys when they are ready to play vs the team sinking all the time and money into developing them for other teams. Take the best player.

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I made a comment about Etienne vs Coehoorn on OB today. How Etienne will never play & Coehoorn will probably be a starter for the Esks one day. How the Bombers passed on a 6'4 210 lb pro ready receiver for a 6'2 165 lb player who was a development player long term. Stupid waste of a draft pick. When it comes to Pencer, JBR forgets you can't teach size. The guy could develop into a great OT. I'll take size anytime.

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

One other thing you can't teach - PYLON!!!

There are hushes in stoogeville that Etienne may be jettisoned as soon as Cory Watson returns (1 to 6 wks in Bombercode)

And by virtue of his absence from the roster, Tyson Pencer may have chronic shoulder issues that prevent him from ever being more than an over-drafted disappointment. Bombers already have a ton of 6'7" to 6'9", 310 to 355lb guys who are in the running for the Bobby Thompson Pylon award.

4. IC Khari

IC Khari Member

The guy is too young right now to right off (21 or 22). Coehorn is 26 I believe. That's a big learning curve differential. It's way too early for any definitive conclusion on that draft yet IMO ...

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

If I was Drowsy Joe Mack or Plop here's a list of guys I'd be putting on my 'To Call' list....

1. Obby Khan - an experienced turnstile centre, better than anything we've got.

2. Mike Sellers - yeah, he's 37 or 38 but you can't teach monster! Better hands than Blow-Dry Dorzon, bigger better blocker and can still run 3 to 7 yds with guys trying to drag him down.

3. Mike Kelly - the maggot might actually be a better OC than Crow Crowton. Hard to believe.
    But the organization might have stamped the guy verboten.

4. Joffrey Reynolds - if not Sellers, than why not Joffrey. He's only 31 or 32 and probably has a bit of juice left in him.

5. Give Calgary Pierce & a draft pick - get Kevin Glenn back.

6. Extreme longshots - Milt Stegall, Doogeyman Brown, Doogeyman Berry, Sgt. Slaughter.

6. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Doug Berry?

anwar stewart and etienne boulay still haven't found jobs. avon cobourne might be more useful in winnipeg. maybe even convince brock lesnar to give the cfl a try. :rolleyes:

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

Doug Berry still can't find work, coming off his exemplary season of torture in Sask'n w/ Sgt. Slaughter at the helm. Crowton is way too 'intellectual' for guys like Plop and the average low-IQ CFL player.

Still want to see what happens when Andre Douglas (OT), Brando Stewart (OLB), Chad Simpson (RB), Cory Watson (WR), Alexis Suber (DB), Marcellus Bowman (LB), etc. draw back into the lineup. Trouble with these guys is their injuries were supposed to be 1 or 2 day nicks but have morphed into 5 or 6 game adventures. Some guys may not want to draw back into the bombers rag-tag lineup.

Anwar Stewart is a smart, wiley old DE who takes the odd play off (when it don't matter usually) but he's better than our current DE's who are big tryers but are biting on the simplest play-fakes and abandon contain.

The injury I'm actually worried least about is Buck Pierce. Guy is the lowest QB rating in the league, even worse than Jyles. His speed is outrageously slow now, no escapability.

8. Bronko

Bronko Member

Boulay is actually a great player but he's down a pint in the speed dept.and the bombers need guys who can chase down jailbreaks. However,I'd take Boulay over Brady 'Runs Like Doug' Browne. Don't think I'd want Lesnar anymore - guy is prone to tapping out at handshakes!

9. Flash

Flash Member

Sure is a lot of Bomber talk around here. Can't wait until Ottawa is back and I can pollute the masses with conspiracy theories about them.

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I think it's GUUUUUUUUREAT that we talk Blue Bombers!! You can talk Ottawa now if you want to...

11. Flash

Flash Member

You better believe I'll bring the Ottawa talk. Gerald Alphin was a great left handed receiver!!! Josh Ranek and his big season. KJ running for a 1000 yards and then the owner stiffing him on the contract bonus because the coach called the play after being told not to. Blind a a bat Matt Kellett beating the Als on Canada Day! Orville Lee's amazing rookie year! Lots of guuuuuuuureat memories.

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

More & more Bomber fans are beginning to wonder about Etienne. Like why wasn't he drafted in the third round?? I think that this guy will probably never play a game in the CFL as a starting receiver. Personally myself, he's young & has an upside, but how much?

13. Bronko

Bronko Member

When you see guys like Nathan Coohorne, Shawan Chambers & even undrafted Rory Kohlert play you wonder about the sanity of Drowsy Joe's draft team when selected Young Stripling (Etienne) 4th overall. They'd already taken a leap o faith with HeHe Mumboa as their overall #1 (a decent pick, mumboa is an athlete but the jury is still out on whether he's a playable starter at MLB).

However, other than seeing a Sask Husky game tape where Etienne defeated a bunch of 5'6" kids with 5.4/40 speed and tore the house down, he's really helping to drag the bomber org. back into the grave. Not to mention burning $55,000 a year plus small signing bonus. The first thing the bombers should have done when they saw a 6'4" bag o bones arrive last year was make Matt 'Bundy' Sheridan or Mike 'Precious' Labinjo his cook and housemate.:D

Playing with a 43 man roster is tough enough in today's CFL. Going to 42 is pure trouble.

14. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I was there. I'll never forget that wild finish.

15. Bronko

Bronko Member

My favourite old riders were guys like Moe Racine, Russ Jackson, Ronnie Stewart.

I'll never forget a r-rider speedster named Margene Adkins splitting a seam vs. the Bombers and making a bomber all-star named Ed Ulmer look like he was in a wheelchair.

16. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

1973 cup winning riders had a bunch known as the 'Capital Punishment gang'. There's an appropriate moniker. Better than the Crapo plop crud. :D

17. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Nate, Ulmer was a very good defensive back. Every DB gets beat eventually. The thing about Ed was that he was an exceptional punter. I was at Winnipeg Stadium in September of 1969 when, punting out of his end zone, he nailed a 91 yarder vs the BC Lions. I would put Ed up there with Bomber punter greats like Charlie Sheppard, Bernie Ruoff & Bob Cameron.

18. Christoph

Christoph Member

Why not just scout out new talent rather than resort to over-the-hill has-beens? That's how they'll turn the team around.

As for swapping Kevin Glenn for Fragile-Handle With Care, no thanks. That guy needs to retire before his limbs and internal organs start falling off. I'll take Glenn's inconsistent play over Buck's consistent injuries any day.

19. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Anyone see Etienne jump offside twice. One nullified a great run. Useless as tits on a bull.