Jay & Dan's Chances @ Fox Sports

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Bronko, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

As most everyone knows TSN Sportscentre hosts Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole will be leaving TSN at the end of June for L.A. to do a yet unnamed late night entry on FOX TV.

How long will these two canucks last on cutthroat American TV?

Obviously, two things will have to happen for them to have a semblance of success:

1. Limited Canadian type references. Americans care little about Canada and even less about Peterborough or Osborne Village, Winnipeg.

2. Minimize the body function jokes. Onrait relies on this stuff like peanut butter on jelly. Can he do alternative stuff? Time will tell.

Personally, I wish them well. However, I don't think they'll last more than a year before the program is cancelled. I'm sure they negotiated higher and mostly guaranteed salaries before making the decision to move south. I'm not a huge fan of their show, way too much juvenile humour as they insure the sports news comes seconds to their stabs at being funny. Onrait had a short run as a standup comic before doing a stint at A-Channel in WInnipeg and then going to TSN, getting paired with O'Toole.

They are sorta like the talkshow version of Craig Ferguson. Ferguson will rant on for 10 minutes like an absolute mental case before he's struck down by a commercial break. Ferguson is occasionally brilliant but due to his propensity to go off the wall almost every night he's not that watchable. Maybe for the 12 to 18 demographic but not 50+.

O'Toole and Onrait are kinda built the same way.

They have 6 months of freebie before Fox executives put the evaluation meter on them. If they get cut prior to six months its only cuz they choked. My guess is the show goes somewhere between 9 and 11 months before getting axed.

Tags:
  2. Flash

Flash Member

There's a bunch of Canadians joining Fox One so there must be a plan behind it. Afterall it's not a CTV.... err Bell... err Rogers SportsNet plan in motion here.