Jets Sign Pavlec

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by iso_55, Jun 26, 2012.

1. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Announced they have signed potential UFA & their MVP goalie Ondrej Pavlec to a 5 year, $19 million dollar US deal. Some think the Jets overpaid, others think it is a good deal. Well, the truth is without the guy we might have drafted Nail Yakupov this year with the first pick in the NHL Draft so he is worth every penny they pay him. Plus the fact that the Jets have so much room as they are nowhere near to a cap team that this deal still gives them a ton of money to go after Evander Kane or any other mid to high range UFA on July 1st.

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, but this is Jets news, so, let's face it, who cares...? :p

TM

3. Christoph

Christoph Member

Am I the only one who thinks that Pavelec is getting to be a bit overrated. Sure he makes highlight reel saves but to me he strikes me as a bit of a Curtis Joseph type. The theatrics of his style make him seem better than he actually is. It's not that I don't think he's a solid netminder, it's just that the actual effectiveness of what he does in goal is extremely average when you look at the numbers.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Blah, blah, blah... Always the comedian... :p;)

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Pavlec single handedly won games for the Jets last year. We have the same situation with Kipper here in Calgary. He wins games for the Flames because we don't have the talent to go out & win games without great goaltending. Think of where the Flames would be without Kipprusoff. Bottom feeders in the division. Besides, Pavlec is 26 & just coming into his prime. He's only going to get better. Goaltenders usually take longer to develop than forwards or defensemen. Money well spent & even more money left over. Nice situation for the Jets to be in.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

The Jets would probably have to pay a lesser (but high profile guy) around 3 to 4.5 million bucks to mope around the blue ice. Pavs is a Top 12 NHL goaler and has the potential to be a Top 6 guy. The downside is he is just good enough to get a slightly above mediocre team into a playoff chase (that results in failure) but like iso says, he can be just good enough to prevent the same mediocre team from picking 2nd or 3rd in the draft vs. 8th to 10th.
    Difference being the Jets being unable to select studleys like Ryan Murray, Nailz Yakupov or Griffin Reinhart vs. developmental kids like Mark Scheifle.

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

The worst part about locking a goaler in for 5 years at nearly 4 mill. a year - - - is that if he fades into a 90% mediocre that lets in key goals at bad times you're totally stuck with him, unlike the CFL this is NO CUT COUNTRY.....you just keep paying him and have to put your lower-priced backup or developmental goalie into more starts and have your high price guy kill your cap space. Of course, the Jets are nowhere near rising to their cap ceiling so it might not matter.

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Exactly... Besides the worst 2 deals in history were the DiPietro & Luongo deals. The deal for Pavlec isn't a bad one terms & money wise... The top goalies in the NHL are making a couple million a year more than Pavlec. So, all in all a great deal for Winnipeg.

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Scheifle might be a good hockey player yet.

10. Bronko

Bronko Member

Everyone in Wpg (other than the odd Jet-hater) really hopes so. Shy-Fly won't play many games next year as he still has some junior eligiibility. He'll attend Jets camp with this year's #1 pick, Dalton Trumbo and then return to juniors. Schiefle is still only packs 175 to 180 lbs on his 6'2" frame - way too light, way too weak for the rigours of NHL grinderman hockey. He'd actually do well in pre-season exhibitions cuz the thumbs aren't down yet. He might even do well for the first 1/3 of the season - but he'd be killed in the overall 82 game grind.

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

So, Nate... Schneider or Pavlec? Who would you rather have in the nets for your team if you were an NHL head coach? Schneider just signed a 3 year, $12 million dollar deal with the Canucks. Pavlec just signed a 5 year $19.5 million dollar deal with the Jets... So similar money although the Pavlec deal is 2 years longer. I'll wait for your answer before I post mine.

12. Christoph

Christoph Member

I'll take Schneider. He's shown signs of following in Jonathan Quick's footsteps. His ceiling is higher than Pavelec's in my opinion. I think you can find a goaltender of Pavelec's caliber relatively easily (unless you're Philly.) The only thing that muddies the waters is the fact that Schneider has has a much stronger team in front of him.