Jim Rome attacked by David Stern

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Bronko, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Stern was a guest on Rome's rambunctious/repetitious/repetitious/ radio show a couple days ago.
    Rome planted the question on Stern about whether the NBA draft lottery was rigged.
    Stern didn't do the Gary Bettman dance. Instead, he pounced on Rome like a rabid bat. An old bat, but a rabid bat. (Stern is around 72)

Stern didn't like the question so he asked Rome 'Have you stopped beating your wife?' an old legal conundrum that Tundra M. can speak more to.

Rome knew the adage so he didn't blow out at Stern. Stern then said he had more important calls to take like Stephen A Smith, which evidently hurt Rome more than the wife question.

However, Rome said it didn't make him mad. Thats why he's spent the last 2 or 3 days lambasting Stern for the inappropriate remarks and trying to roast the knishes out of the commish.....

It was obvious Rome was setting a bear trap for Stern and loves the media attention. What he didn't expect is that many people now think Jim Rome has beaten his wife and Rome has to be in denial mode daily - which adds more credence to Stern's little rumour.

Tags:
  2. Rids

Rids Member

I had two thoughts when I heard it:

1. Has David Stern gone completely over the bend?
    2. In my opinion our little CFL commish is confirmed to be the best in the pro sports biz.

A little background for some - the NBA currently owns the New Orleans Hornets, they are paying all their bills and running the franchise (go back to last summer and the Chris Paul fiasco that looked so bad for the NBA over ruling a trade that they technically ok'd as franchise owners).

Imagine how Bettman would've reacted had the Phoenix Coyotes won the NHL lottery and was posed that question. Brutal reaction from a person in power.

3. Christoph

Christoph Member

Have you stopped beating your wife? Really Stern, really? What a douche move. Thanks to him the headlines read "David Stern asks Jim Rome if he's stopped beating his wife." That implies that he was beating his wife. How can a supposedly respectable leader like that imply something like that just to make a point. Actually it wasn't even to make a point, it was just because he was upset over a question Rome asked him and was being childish. And then he goes on to end the call by telling Rome he has to call someone important now, like Steven A. Smith (if I remember correctly.) Really dude? Really?

I can't believe how classless Stern is. Was Rome stirring the pot with his line of questioning? Maybe. But you'd think a supposedly smart man like Stern would know by now how not to throw himself into the "bear trap" as Nate as aptly put it.

Stern better come out and apologize because that isn't something you put out there even if you're not serious, because some people will think you are.

I've never been a big Rome fan. I think he goes on rants where he beats a dead horse until I want to scream at the radio for him to talk about something new for a change. But I thought Rome handled the whole mess fairly well. He definitely didn't sink to the commissioners childish level even though Stern carried on for a good five minutes before ending the call in fittingly juvenile fashion.

I'm just surprised Stern didn't call Rome a poopy face.

4. Christoph

Christoph Member

And we thought Bettman was bad. Hell if that's how much worse it could be maybe we should consider ourselves luck.

Actually no I take that back. Both league's need better leadership. It's just too bad that the owners lack the vision (the dollar bills must be blocking obstructing it) to do anything about it.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Pee Wee Hermann (Bettman) was Stern's trainee before he bolted to take over the NHL..... but Bettman knows how to stickhandle and rarely loses his temper, even when he's being badgered by Ron McLean. (remember the two of them ended up hand-holding a few years back when Bettman was trying to wrestle control of the question from McLean)

Stern might actually be in early alzheimers, you never know. But if Rome had lambasted him with a question about whether Stern has been tested for dementia, I suspect Rome wouldn't be on the air anymore. I agree with y'all that Rome caters to about a borderline sports IQ, uses repetition as his main weapon (to kill 3 hours) and if you go next door for coffee and come back in fifteen minutes the guy is still repeating/spewing the same trash....

6. Christoph

Christoph Member

That? That was just a couples quarrel. We should just consider ourselves lucky we didn't catch the kissing and making up part...

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

A simple no would have sufficed by Stern. Didn't hear the session being discussed but Rome isn't lily white when it comes to controversy & has used the media to further his career. Just ask "Chrissy" Evert about that. Think Rome would be where he is now without that famous incident?

8. Bronko

Bronko Member

Rome has a slick style but his content is totally repetitious and mostly un-original, catering to the borderline sports IQs who call themselves clones.
    That said, Rome still does good interviews with sports stars that come on his program. His stuff with Chael Sonnen is hilarious, also the golf pro Steve Elk Elkington. Rome always ends his interviews with 'What a great interview that was, nice job Rome!" so he's obviously a bit pompous. When he landed a 5 minute spot on Letterman, Rome spent all his time trying to 1-up Letterman, once Letterman realized what Rome was doing, he shut himself down and Rome looked crazy.

Actually, I wish we got Steven A. Smith in Winnipeg on the TSN radio outlet. Getting sick of watching Kornheiser and Wilbon out-scream each other!

9. Rids

Rids Member

Stephen A Smith is brutal. Every sentence is a bit louder than the last sentence until he's just hollering. I change channels when he comes on.

10. Bronko

Bronko Member

Are there any sports talk show hosts (radio) that DON'T go psycho when the mic switch goes ON?

Thats why I liked Dandyman when he was on a sports radio show a few years ago.

Another guy that goes bonkers every time the mic goes on is Colin Cowherd (and THE HERD)......

11. Rids

Rids Member

Dan Patrick is the most even of the bunch.

Cowherd I can only take when he's dealing with actual numbers and not opinion. His opinion turns into a ratings grab and way off base.

PTI is one of my favorite when it comes to sports broadcasting that isn't a live game or a highlight show.

12. Christoph

Christoph Member

I hate to cast a shadow on the average American sports fan, but I can't help but notice that a lot of American sports talking heads are like that. They cater to the lowest common denominator among sports fans. The sad thing is that to me that indicates there must be a lot of them down there.

13. Bronko

Bronko Member

I don't want to defend these vermin but they ususally are syndicated to dozens, if not hundreds of stations so there's incredible pressure to produce and keep ears glued to the radio. However, you're right - being obnoxious is part of most guys packages. Jim Rome tells you what he isn't like and then proceeds to break every rule. He constantly lies to his rubes.