Jock Sanders is Special Teams Player of the Week

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jul 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

JockSanders_small.png

Calgary Stampeders kick returner Jock Sanders has been named the Canadian Football League’s special teams player of the week.

The 26-year-old St. Petersburg, Fla., product played a key role in the Stamps’ 35-14 win over the Toronto Argonauts on Saturday as he returned a missed field goal 121 yards to Toronto’s eight-yard line to set up a Jeff Fuller touchdown. It was the fifth longest missed-field goal return in Stampeders history.

Sanders also returned three punts for 34 yards and one kickoff for 19 yards, giving him a total of 174 return yards for the evening.

On offence, Sanders had 15 rushing yards and was also involved in the play that led to a 58-yard touchdown catch by Anthony Parker. Sanders took the direct snap and lateralled the ball to quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell, who heaved the ball downfield to Parker.

It’s the second career special teams player of the week award for Sanders, who previously earned the honour during Week 2 of the 2013 season.

http://www.stampeders.com/article/140715-sanders-pow

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice work, Jocko!

I wonder with his obvious talent for finding holes in coverage why he doesn't try to run all of his end zone kicks out?

Oh yeah...that is what he does. :p

And to date, he's done it pretty damn well...:D

TM

3. Liske

Liske Member

Huf is looking more and more clairvoyant. The acquisition of Sanders was exactly what we needed, even though at the time I thought 'why did we pick up another RB?' (in addition to Mallet, when we already had Walter and Corndog). But Sanders is a great all-purpose back, and with Cornish out, he's the right player at the right time.

oilpatchhilbily likes this.
  4. Vicki

Vicki Member

Remember these moments. One day he'll gamble and it'll go south so remember those times that he rolled the dice and made it work.

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  5. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I think I've already cut him some slack between my Musings postings for the first two games given that his gaffe in week 1 ended up as a harmless mistake, and my intentional failure to mention in my last Musings his fielding error on a kick return in the Toronto game which ended up in a turnover to the Argos (but which was more than compensated for by his spectacular 121 yard missed FG return earlier in that contest).

The moral: Win some, lose some.

The life of a kick returner who's earns his living playing on a knife's edge...

TM

oilpatchhilbily likes this.