Joel Reinders to Argos

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

The 2010 CFL 4th round pick, who had signed a contract with the Cleveland Browns before the Canadian draft, was recently released by the NFL, and has now come to terms on a tryout contract with Toronto:

Rids, what do you know about him? He's apparently 6'8'' and played for a limited period at Waterloo.

TM

Tags:
  2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

I always read that as Reindeers - as if the Argos had signed multiple reindeer for some obscure reason. (assuming the plural of reindeer would be reindeers of course)

3. Rids

Rids Member

Joel is a big kid. 6'8" 305. I wasn't sold on him at the beginning of the Draft period (the East-West Bowl before their senior CIS season). I didn't like his footwork for being a former CIS basketball player. By the end of the Draft period (March 2010) I had him pegged as a 2nd round pick more due to potential than results. He had worked up into the Scouting Bureau Top 15 (#11 at the end) and had actually signed his NFL deal before the CFL draft which pushed him down to a 4th round spot. He was a good CIS player, but that size is what got him in the door in the NFL.

He didn't attend a high school that played football, his first football was at Waterloo so he doesn't have the wear and tear that many big bodies have because really he only has 2 seasons of action plus 2 training camps.

4. Flash

Flash Member

The Giants really liked him during the spring. Didn't match up well at main camp.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Actually, seems like similar body type to Doug Brown who played most of his years at 6'8"-304 until "slimming" to 289 last couple ineffective years. I expect Reindeer was either lacking a bit of mass or a bit of strength or a mix of both at NFL camp.

However, the drop down may not stand out as a huge deficit in the CFL where defensive line personnel as significant smaller (sometimes shorter) than their NFL brethren. Cortex will work him in on rotation and I suspect he'll gradually fill out his tall frame to around 315 to 325 as long as he's not sacrificing speed and strength.