Just got back from a Riders game

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Rich, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Rich

Rich Member

Just a follow up on my going to a riders game. What a great time. Got some warnings before I went about wearing my stamps jersey, but had no problems. Some people there gave me a "what is that" look, but nothing offensive in any way.

I now know what "Rider nation" really means. They support there team right to the core. We have fans here, it is a religion there. They are very noisy when opponents have the ball, and very quiet when they have the ball. When the their team comes out, that stadium rocks. Speaking of stadiums, that is not a very nice one, cramped seats, cramped concession, no access to the other side(need to walk around outside of stadium), scoreboard dose not show stats, the announcer sounds like either a used car salesman or game show host. What we have is way better.

My moment that I will always remember is at the end of the game, while waiting for the wife's bathroom break, a big rider fan, painted face and in green, walked by me, gave me a light closed fist tap on the gut and said "way to wear your colours" and kept walking.

There is no match to the way they support their team. I very much respect their fans, I got to see Taylor field, and experienced something that can't be felt or heard in any other stadium in the CFL. I can only imagine what the grey cup was like. You can hear what people have to say about Rider nation, but you need to experience it to believe it.

Next stop Labour day rematch in edmonton, hopefully next year a game in either winnipeg or BC.

Tags:
    Madman and Tundra Mustang like this.
  2. Rids

Rids Member

Glad you enjoyed the game!

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

So you got to enjoy the miles of cattle ramps did ya?

Great to hear you had a good time and wore the red with pride.

4. Flash

Flash Member

I'd love to get back to a CFL stadium. Instead the next football game for me will be a high school game.

5. fireguyfire

fireguyfire Member

Glad you had a good one; I personally have been to 5 games there in the past decade and have yet to have anywhere near a decent experience; to me it will always be bandwagon nation full of people who can't name more than 3 players on their team and are looking for any excuse to party. Been to a couple of premier soccer games in England and had a blast because I have zero care about any teams but saw a large dose of rider mentality with people going who didn't care at all about the game, but wanted to drink and fight.
    I have elderly relatives in Regina who had seasons tickets for 50 years and they gave them up 5 or 6 years ago because of the deterioration in the crowd.
    Glad you had a good experience; maybe there is hope for future hammerheads!

6. Rich

Rich Member

I take what they do this way, I have been to a regular christian mass on sunday, this is a game in calgary. I have also been to a service where at the end, the pastor(or whatever they call him) gets up and asks anyone who has any sin or illness to come forward, people are dancing in the isle, going up front, he puts his hands on their foreheads and they fall over praising the lord. That service scared the hell out of me. They are very serious about their team. Everywhere we went on game day, people were decked out in green all over the city. I have a friend(riders) that hates games in calgary due to the treatment he has received from calgary fans and he dose not go to any. I can definitely say that it was a unique experience. I wish we could get the same following here, but we probably do, we just don't flaunt it to the same level in rider ville.

7. Flash

Flash Member

Wait so you are calling the Rider fans Pentecostals? Yikes!!!

8. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

LOL staying at a friends place with my Motor home on the Island and there is a church across the street and on Sunday three families were going to church in their rider gear! I could not stop laughing! But it appears BC has the melon disease out here as well.