News Kevin Glenn picked in first round

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by redwhite2005, Dec 16, 2013.

1. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Red blacks pick Kevin Glenn. The other Qb Thomas Demarco BC.

Tags:
  2. Rids

Rids Member

Great way to start a new franchise. Biggest question mark will be can they build an OL to give them a chance.

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Sad to see him go, he kept this team afloat when injuries hit the QB position hard.

But in all honesty, I think it's a good thing for the team. In terms of the expansion draft, it allows us to keep our all-star kicking duo in tact, and it also allows us to protect 2 more of our talented non-import players. In terms of competition, this truly forces Tate and BLM to step up and also opens a development spot up for another young QB.

oilpatchhilbily likes this.
  4. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

I agree it is sad to say good bye to Glenn but now it gives the opportunity for the young guys to get their shot!

5. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

At least he'll still be wearing red and black

6. Flash

Flash Member

Well I'm happy with our QB situation. Not sure I love the rest of those picks. I mean if you're going to select an import offensive lineman that has never played in the League before then why not just sign a free agent? Did those 5 practices in October give him that much of an advantage? Will that Grey Cup ring make him that much more valuable?

7. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, whaddya expect for a few million bucks in expansion fees? :p

So far, the Ottawa franchise has gone cheap.

We'll know better after they select some Canadian starters in Round 2...

TM

8. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

A video of KG watching the draft live.

9. ArgoCister

ArgoCister Member

Was that a smirk from Glenn when Chevon Walker was announced? ..... Now he has familiarity with the RB and the Centre Hage on the Rouge et Noir.

10. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok that was a bit TOO enthusiastic . You'd think they were glad to be leaving Calgary.

11. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

It's all good.

He'll win Ottawa a few more games in the regular season than they'd otherwise likely score, but he'll never again (at his age) get the chance to command a team as talented behind him as the Stampeders have been, nor come up flat in a big game, because the RedBlacks won't be playin' in any of 'em.

No chance to disappoint the fanbase in any game that 'matters'.

They're gonna love him in Ottawa.

And he knows it. ;)

TM

12. Rids

Rids Member

For Kevin it'll probably be a nice change to head to a training camp as the #1 again. DeMarco is a QB of the future but not ready for a full season as the starter yet.

13. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

He'll quickly figure out that Chevon Walker is no Jon Cornish.

14. Addicted

Addicted Member

Any chance Calgary would be interested in acquiring Kevin back this year? I doubt he would want to return knowing that he would be third on our roster, but for the Stamps to have his abilities as a back up again would be great insurance. I am very sceptical that we will see Tate for a full season before he gets injured and we don't see him again. That leave BLM as our starter (unproven, but has looked awesome!), and ??. Kevin Glenn would look great again on the roster.

I feel for Kevin. He is 10th on the all time CFL quarterback list, yet gets no respect! He proved himself the last two regular seasons for Calgary, but just cant seem to clinch that elusive Grey Cup.

15. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Not a chance. The reason is very clear time is running out on his career. He is looking for the best place to start. Right now the Bombers are the only team I can see that happening. I wish Glenn the best of luck as he is a class guy.

16. Rids

Rids Member

The whole situation in Ottawa is so bizarre. I do understand the reasons in going after Burris but why wouldn't they work out a deal to send KG out of town before making that signing?

Here we all thought that this would be a great spot for Kevin Glenn to finish out his career and play 3 seasons or so in Ottawa with no pressure. He'd get to develop an eventual replacement and just be called on to manage games with maybe stealing a few here and there. Instead Ottawa gives a 38 year old Burris his largest contract of his career. He's making more now than when he was in the NFL.

17. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

I agree this could already damage the reputation of this new team with this type of deal. Players see this as a betrayal and may not want to sign with this team in the future. Does not look good for this management team.

18. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Bad move in my opinion on 2 fronts.

Extremely poor PR management decision. I know they couldn't see into the future prior to drafting KG that Henry might become available, but as you guys have stated, this is damaging for what was once the darling new franchise....already.

Secondly, I think KG is a better football choice. He proved here that he still has it out on the field and is also a great mentor to young prospect QBs - why would you not want that for a new team bringing in fresh QBs?

Silly, silly choices. Although, from a team that is named after two colours in all caps with no spaces, they did set the tone early on.

19. Glenn Saunders

Not really. On draft day, the Ottawa management group welcomed Kevin Glenn as the best option but they clearly said they would be active in the Free Agency process, that there were some high profile QBs and players from other positions that they would be pursuing aggressively. There was a tweet last week with a post to the GMs comments and it was clear that while Kevin was THE MAN, they might not be done and nothing was settled although they sure were pleased to have him.

As for Trades, well, a QB Kevin Glenn's age does not really have a lot of value and Ottawa has also been pretty clear they would only consider Western Teams, which means Wpg is about the only option. Ottawa might be wise to hold on to KG long enough to see how Wpg fairs against Toronto on the 9th and Calgary on the 14th of June. Kevin Glenn's value just might be looking better before Wpg has a chance to start the season on a downside note.

20. Glenn Saunders

Here it is:

"Although he now has Glenn and DeMarco in tow, Desjardins said he’ll be active in free agency to land other quarterbacks. Toronto’s Zach Collaros, Saskatchewan’s Drew Willy, Hamilton’s Henry Burris and Edmonton’s Matt Nichols are all slated to become free agents in February."

This from:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...glenn-in-cfl-expansion-draft/article15982344/

16 Dec.

Seems to me Ottawa Management knew exactly what they were doing - the picked the best they had available at the time but why waste a pick on a Free Agent when if you missed them you would be in a huge hole.