Kids forced by teachers to eat Moose droppings

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Bronko, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Happened recently in Winnipeg area school division. Link to Wpg Free Press story attached. What should be done to the teachers? Does this represent assault? Endangerment?

What would Alberta Justice do?

Anxious to hear Tundra's take on this matter. (legal standpoint)

And of course everyone else is free to comment...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/ ... 29425.html

Tags:
  2. Christoph

Christoph Member

I'd say it's very much assault, among other things.

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

There's a move in Winnipeg media to get the name of the offending teachers out in the open.

But the teacher's union, backed by a cadre of lawyers is threatening all media with lawsuits.

Frankly, if I were one of the teachers I'd rather take a fine and two month suspension than have my name disclosed.

Once that happens, I'm probably forced to move out of province and look for alternative work. When everyone knows my name!

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

That is gross. They should be fired. Plain & simple. The teachers are in a position of authority & trust. The kids thought they'd be safe with these buffoons. No excuses. Begone tomorrow.

5. Christoph

Christoph Member

Exactly! You could not be more right Mr. iso.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Unfortunately, these teachers are repped by unions. The unions, even knowing the teachers committed (or allowed) a horrible act automatically go to work for the offenders - trying to bully the media and get their peeps off the hook (small fine, tiny suspension and no public shaming)....

As far as I'm concerned the teachers in question should all be immediately suspended (subject to appeal hearings), the superintendant of the school division should also be suspended (for not acting on the issue with due haste), the chaperones should have criminal charges filed against them (as suspensions are not in question) and ALL SHOULD BE PUBLICALLY NAMED.....
    If they go thru trial or public hearings and are found not guilty then I'll abide.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The 2 teachers at my old high school in Winnipeg (Churchill High School) who did the bump & grind at a pep rally got fired eventually so I think the same thing will happen to these 3 clowns. If only to save or mitigate a lawsuit. The 2 teachers at CHS didn't hurt anyone, just showed a terrrible lack of judgement. These guys showed they were a menace being in charge of students on an outdoor ed trip. Can't compare the 2. And if too much bumping & grinding can cost teachers their jobs, imagine what eating moose droppings will do.

8. Bronko

Bronko Member

I suspect the 3 Teachers will find a manitoba lawyer who will concoct a story that the kids induced the teachers/chaperones to give them the moose paks.....yikes!!!

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Nah Nate, they're toast... No chance they get through this unscathed.

10. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

At minimum, it's child abuse.

At worst, it's a criminal offence (knowingly administering a noxious substance).

No ifs, ands, or buts.

Perpetrated by persons who owed a fiduciary duty to protect these minor children from physical or emotional harm.

Due process will have its way here, but once it's done, make no mistake: heads will roll.

And deservedly so.

TM

11. Bronko

Bronko Member

Knowing the system TM, just how long can the lawyers/union reps stall the mechanism of justice from due process?

12. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Not long at all, if the authorities want to invoke the criminal process. If the investigators determine that the teachers knew in advance of the act what was going to happen, and did nothing to stop it, they acted as willing accomplices given the children were entrusted to their care, even though another adult administered the noxious substance.

If that's what goes down here, there's nothing the union can do except to ensure the accused teachers have counsel provided to them.

I guess the issue is what did the supervising teachers know, and when did they know it?

I have no doubt at all about what will likely happen to the adult supervisor who took the lead in abusing these innocent kids.

However, the criminal justice system has its own inherent delays of course, and it may take some time for the matter to come to a trial courtroom.

But that will invite a lot of public scrutiny, furor and notoreity, and if I was representing one of them, I'd attempt to have him plead to it at the first opportunity (when Courts are typically most lenient), and find him the next stage out of Dodge, so he could get an early start on whatever it is that his new career will involve.

TM

13. Bronko

Bronko Member

Nice analysis - mucho appreciated TM.

With 3 teachers and a few 'chaperones' involved might one strategy be trying to do a multi-finger point - ie. each party says he thinks the other guy initiated the idea? Thus, the court or the education system can't place a finger on who's guilty and all get off?

14. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I think there were enough witnesses there to identify the miscreant who offered the unsuspecting children the "chocolate" treats, and to detail what the other adults who were present did...

TM

15. Bronko

Bronko Member

I'm sure there were. However, never discount the onset of selective amnesia in cases like this. Especially if family members of teachers start 'badgering' potential witnesses and their families about the conseuquences of 'THE TRUTH'....

16. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Nate, why do you think that nothing will happen? That somehow lawyers will have an iron clad defense. Or that people will have selective memories? The teachers involved will be dealt with severely or lawsuits will probably happen. Even if the teachers are fired, lawsuits may still take place. If it was my kid & that happened, I'd want their heads & nothing less. You can bet the parents & students involved want the same.

17. Bronko

Bronko Member

Don't get me wrong Al, I'm in total accord with your thoughts on this one but I've seen this kind of rodeo many times in many forms. As TM said, lawyers and unions can bog the thing down for a chunk of time. I also think community sympathy will occur where locals start protecting the guilty parties, especially if they have fairly clean prior records.

Lots of Johnny Cochrane strategies can take place. Blame one guy and let him take the rap for everyone or blame everyone and hope the law can't decide the guilty parties.

I think TM's musing is the most accurate. One or more of the miscreants will see the light and decide quitting and pleaing out is the better part of valour. Plead early to a lesser offense and get outta dodge. I also hope the superintendant of the school division, possibly the principal of the school have to take some form of punishment for cowering in fear (hiding) after the event.