Kipper - Hall of Fame or not?

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Rids, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Interesting question put up on twitter by a fan. Here's Fan960's Pat Steinberg with a response.

2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

From a Calgary fan's perspective - absolutely.

But I think outside of Calgary, his luster isn't quite that bright. I think people do give him a lot of credit for being one of the best in the game, but does that make him fit for the HOF?

Personally, how can't ~10 seasons of amazing goaltending not get you a ticket into the Hall?

If he played on a better team those years, there is no doubt he'd have more hardware and be a shoe in. Hopefully the performance of the teams in front of him don't drag him down.

3. Rids

Rids Member

For reference - http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=15587

NHL First All-Star Team (2006) William M. Jennings Trophy (2006) Vezina Trophy (2006) Played in NHL All-Star Game (2007)

Led the NHL in wins 1 time, led in shutouts 1 time and in GAA 1 time officially and another time had the best GAA but only played in 38 games.

4. Christoph

Christoph Member

Kiprusoff is definitely one of the best goalies in Flames franchise history, but a Hall of Famer? I'm not so sure. He was a little too up and down from one season to the next. He'd put up big numbers one season and steal games on a regular basis and then follow that up with a season of inconsistent play, very ordinary numbers, and far too many soft goals. Actually if you look at his statistics from one season to the next you could pretty much predict whether he was going to be up or down the following season because he seemed to alternate back and forth every other year.