GAME DAY Labour Day Classic: Edmonton at Calgary

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, boys, we've now reached the second half of the 2018 season, and in entering the home stretch, we're presented with arguably the Stampeders' most important game so far in the regular season.

Win this one, and no matter the result in Saturday's rematch here in Edmonton, you gotta figure the Stampeders will finish first in the West this year.

Lose it, and the Stampeders will have to win next weekend to get the split, and hope to keep the Eskimos, and the other western opponents, at bay.

It's usually a classic, and let's root for the guys in red to play to their strengths today, and send the Esks home in frustration to plot and plan for another day. :p

Then lets take the rematch, too! ;)

Go Stamps Gooooo!

TM

Tags:
    strujas likes this.
  2. AllSportsCalgary

Come on Stamps! Let's use this game as the start of the next 8 - 1 stretch of games! Let's go Red & White!

strujas likes this.
  3. AllSportsCalgary

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Whatever it takes! ;)

23-20 final for the Stampeders and a gutsy performance by Mitchell on a gimpy knee...

Big lead now in the West for the boys in red! :D

TM

strujas likes this.
  5. AllSportsCalgary

Damn!! A squeeker, but the defence comes up big, creating turn over after turn over, and stopping them time after time. Going forward, the injuries could tighten up EVERYTHING in the west.

#5 AllSportsCalgary, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  6. strujas

strujas Member

Any info on our injuries????

7. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I haven't heard anything concrete about either Jorden or Evans, but from the guarded way Daniels and Dickenson both spoke about him post-game, Kamar Jorden may be out for awhile.

Bo's knee is wonky, and as we saw yesterday, his mobility will likely be more limited.

And if for those reasons the Eskimos were to target him on Saturday...

It will be interesting to see if Arbuckle gets first team reps during the short week run-up to Saturday's game.

i think that would speak volumes about BLM's state of health.

TM

8. strujas

strujas Member

Did anyone else notice the way the Eskimoes were tackling??? Low hit after low hit...

9. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I want to beat the Eskimos on Saturday (and on every other day of the week for that matter! ;)), but in my view, a win in the rematch isn't critical anymore, and it might be more prudent to keep BLM out of the fray, and away from serious risk of injury given his apparent mobility issues after yesterday and the Eskimos' penchant for low hits.

Opinions?

TM

10. strujas

strujas Member

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  11. Jason Newlin

Jason Newlin Member

WHEW!
    23-20.

12. AllSportsCalgary

I think the Stamps have reached a point in this season already where they can chose the more prudent course of action. Having hyper extended my knee slightly before, I can honestly say that if that is what happened (looked like it on tv, to me), he woke up the next day tight and stiff. Admittedly, in my case, I didn't have an athletic therapy division to help me get over it. But I think that starting Arbuckle would be prudent on a number of fronts. It gives him a quality start against very good opposition, and allows him and the receivers to get some time in under live fire. It keeps Bo out of the line of fire for a game where the outcome is not vitally critical, against a very physical hard hitting defense, when his receiving corps are probably depleted, and not as likely to get open to give him a target. ... and when we win, clearly missing many of our number one players by position, it will put a little more doubt in all our oppositions minds.

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  13. AllSportsCalgary

It was an interesting game and result, because I think both teams left points off the board. I do think you can give the win to the Stamps defense though. The turnovers they created, and 4th quarter stops that led to Eskimo punts rather than the long 50/50 ball completions they usually feast on, let the offense do what they have been doing all year - scoring enough to win.

14. fireguyfire

fireguyfire Member

I’m happy that Edmonton is shooting their mouths off about the stamps not being good (at 9-1). Should add some motivation to a Stamps team that is dinged up and probably not as motivated for the rematch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk