Labour Day Special: Bombers vs. Riders

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

I actually think the bombers have a better chance to win at Mosaic without their 2 "star" players, Nichols & Husky Harris.

Reason? Bombers tend to lean on Harris and Nichol's game manager status. Now they can't. Each player has to decide whether to put it all on the field and try for the W.

For Bombers to win I suspect they'll need a few blunders/mistakes from Mr. Fajardo and a near perfect control game from Chris Streveler and his cast of hobo WR's and running back by committee.

Coaching matchup is interesting. Mike O'Shea in his 6th year as a head coach but still makes too many blunders in strategy and calls. Too many bomber blowouts have curled into testy tight affairs. That's more on coaching than players. Dickenson shows far more composure than O'Shea and he's a mere rookie who had no idea he'd be a head coach until Tennessee Corky couldn't resist the lure of an NFL job offer, albeit as an assistant.

Loyalty is his ace in the hole. O'Shea will stick with guys who are simply not performing or under-performing. Most fans, except bomber lemmings hate that.

Possible outcomes:

1. A rider blow-out. Riders get up early and force Streveler to toss long - which is not his forte.

2. A tight Rider win - Streveler plays well but can't put enough points on the board to compete with Fajardo

3. A tight bomber win - Riders make more blunders than big blue and open the door for a bomber win by nail-biting.

Outcome 1 = 40% (14 pts or more)

Outcome 2 = 45% (1 to 13 pts)

Outcome 3 = 15% (10 pts or less)

Tags:
    Tundra Mustang likes this.
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

Darian Streveler already out of sorts and its barely into the 1st quarter. Bombers doing everything wrong, except defending. Even Iron Mike O'Shea still arguing with a side official about a simple rouge concession early. O'Shea's feeble coaching mind will continue to belabour an insignificant point. Amazing!!!

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

Took bomber offense 9 minutes into game before handing off to Husky Harris's replacement, Johnny Augustine. Its called over-thinking - and both PLOP & O'Shea are the guilty parties.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

I knew O'Shea was gonna barf up a 2 point safety. He knows Medlock is also out of sorts in Regina, today. btw - who wouldn't be???

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

TSN makes 2 significant personnel decisions. Obviously, you don't insert a broadcasting maggot like Rod Black into a showcase game like this. Other they pulled the plug on their normal Regina sideline commentator Clare Hanna and gave the keys to Sara Orlesky.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Riders insulting the bomber D with massive yds passing but only holding a 3 pt advantage w/ only a minute left in 1st quarter. Amazing! Streveler might have 1/2 a yard passing, that's not even 18 inches, is it?

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

I have a feeling now (confirmed by the CTV election desk) that Riders are gonna lay a major whomping on the Bombers tonite. . . . . only thing preventing a 72-0 drubbing is Dicko Dickenson will call off the dogs when the score gets to around 48-0 or 50-3; trying to save his QB from taking a damaging hit, etc. putting other backup troops on the lawn.

8. Bronko

Bronko Member

Prediction for Stubby O'Shea - no matter how poor Mad Dog Streveler plays, he'll be left in the game to drown in his own sorrow. O'Shea is a stubborn cuss. . . .no way is he gonna unleash a fresh man into the game - - - - even for valuable experience!

9. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Far too early to give up the ghost here, Bronks.

Bombers gotta play better, but still lotsa time for them to do so.

TM

10. AllSportsCalgary

A one score game at the half ... in my books still anyone's game. Edmonton proves beyond a doubt that this year, stats do not equal scoring or winning. So this could be anyone's game yet. I just can't decide who I want to lose. All things being equal, it is Saskatchewan. But if I am going to hold on to any hope of the Stamps getting to first, it needs to be Winnipeg. But perhaps I need to let 1st place go, and focus on 2nd. In which case, Go Bombers!

11. Bronko

Bronko Member

Bombers are a very good team, stocked with solid depth at almost all positions. They are not, however a dominant team by any stretch of the imagination. Imagine if they had BL Mitchell, Trevor Harris or Hatty Reilly as their #1 QB and they would be closer to dominant. Having a sub-par strategic head coach also holds them down.

12. Bronko

Bronko Member

LDC turning into a semi-classic. . . . . mainly cuz Sask'n QB Cody Fajardo has somehow come down with a case of the Mutt Nichols/Streveler virus. When exactly he came down with this, I do not know. But he's clearly been infected.

13. Bronko

Bronko Member

Turned into a pretty good LD game. As predicted the Riders got possession at their own 5 yd line with only 2 minutes left and quickly made swiss cheese out of a panicky Richie Hall defense that couldn't sack Fajardo rushing 8 men. Fajardo made it look too easy - but the ease of how they cut thru the bomber D like hot knives thru butter is better defined by the ineptitude of bomber DC Richie Hall and head debate coach Mike O'Shea.

#13 Bronko, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  14. Jason Newlin

Jason Newlin Member

The west is gonna be VERY close.

15. Bronko

Bronko Member

I can see the bombers stagger in to a 11-7 record, possibly even 10-8 if Richie Hall continues to be left off the leash.
    Possible finish in West:

Regina 12-6
    Edmonton 11-7
    Winnipeg 11-7
    Calgary 10-8
    BC 2-16