Legendary Johnny Esaw Passes at 87

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I am very sorry to hear of the death of this legendary broadcaster.

I appreciate Cohon's reverential praise of Esaw on behalf of the Canadian Football League, but I am surprised the many accomplishments listed for him did not include his placement in the CFL Hall of Fame as a 'Builder' of the game.

A great friend of the CFL, and of sports in this country, has now left us.

Goodbye, Johnny...

TM

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I read that he felt betrayed by the CFL in the 80's when they established the Canadian Football Network. CTV wanted to establish Friday Night Football like TSN did 2 decades later but the CFL feared it would be a disaster at the gate & on the field so they said no. When CFN was established in 1986, he vowed that the CFL would never again be shown on the CTV Network again. He was President of CTV Sports at the time.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

You gotta realize that in the mid-80s, TV money was sparse. The Bombers were forced to bring their own asswipe to the office and sometimes played in dirty underwear as Cal and Paul Robeson tried to scrimp money on water and soap expenses.

Only Edmonton had real money. Sask'n was going hand in mouth to tens of thousands of fans and citizens in various lottos, scams, hand-to-mouths, etc.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I remember those days. The CFL was in big trouble in the late 80's. Especially when Donald Grump.... errr.... Crump was Commissioner. Everybody hated the man because he was just useless in that role. But truly, the CFL had a lot of no minds & little thinkers running the league as Governors back then.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

a ton of credit for the CFL hangin' on in their most desperate hours (approx. 1979 to 1988) have to be passed on to CBC and the great coverage they provided. CBC knew, despite the weak earnings of CFL teams that the Grey Cup was a national treasure and people would watch oblivious to the plight of most league teams. They were right! They kept the fire kindling!!!

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, we made it thru essentially 3 decades of ups & downs. Bevy of owners in Toronto & Ottawa. Lost Ottawa twice, Montreal once, Winnipeg moving back & forth from East to West & the slow but steady growth of the CFL in the 2000's. TV revenue is the most it's ever been, viewership is on the rise, new stadium in Winnipeg & Hamilton as well as a new stadium in Regina for 2017 with major refurbs in Ottawa & Montreal.