Lewis' future up in the air?

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, May 27, 2012.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Lew ... story.html

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

So, because Nik has a new agent, they can't get a deal done? And after 9 seasons his behaviour is now being questioned??? Like WTH is going on?? Lewis is the heart & soul of our offense willing to call guys out if necessary. The guy is a warrior, plays hurt, is a devastating blocker & goes out & plays hard every single down. Looks like he'll be the next guy shuffled out of town.

3. K_O_cowtown

K_O_cowtown StampsFans' Luchador & Moderator
    Staff Member

Love or hate him, we need more players like Nik Lewis on this team. He's a true champion and always gives 110%.

4. zBrain

zBrain Member

My thinking is at least one other veteran receiver will be shown the door by the end of TC, or the end of the year at least, freeing up the money for Nik.

Huf would be lynched if he let Lewis go...

5. Newton

Newton Member

He's fine, he's not going anywhere...I don't see the issue.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Sure hope so, Newt. The way the article was writtten it seemed the Stamps don't have a lot of interest in keeping him.

7. Newton

Newton Member

Well ...there is still a budget, just before you buy a house you don't over state how much you love it. :)

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yeah, but....;) The thing is, Huff made it sound like, "Well, we usually work things out before he leaves for the off season but he got a new agent"... Then the comment made towards Nik that he can be a bit of a troublemaker made me shake my head. Just wasn't a very complimentary story towards the guy. Almost disrespectful. At least that is how I took it reading the column.

9. zBrain

zBrain Member

The comment regarding behavior was speculation by the article author. The beginning of the sentence even says no one will comment on it publicly. Which means "no one said it but here's what I think" in try-to-sell-a-newspaper speak.

10. RoadDog

RoadDog Member

There is no doubt Lewis will be a starter and will have another stellar year. A bit of a yap on him but I have to admit he is one of the CFL's clutch guys. It just doesn't seem the same this year without Burris around eh Iso?

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

RD, nice to see you here. I actually came across to your way of thinking about Hank in a lot of ways the past couple of years. I still think he made a business decision to leave the Riders after the 2004 season which happens all the time in pro sports . But... the guy couldn't win the big games when he had to. Except for 2008, Hank was a major choke when he played qb for us in the playoffs & his Smilin' Hank routine just wore off on me real fast. Hank is all about himself & he showed that last fall with his comments last year that he'd never be happy backing up Tate. Glad he's in Hamilton. I remember when Drew Bledsoe lost his starting job to Tom Brady he never said he'd refuse to back Brady up. He did everything he did to help Brady even though he was unhappy. I never got that sense from Hank, other than the attitude, "Tate starting??? Really... You kidding me???" Now it is time for Drew Tate to shine. With DD & Huff, he should have some great coaching... as well as having Kevin Glenn to back him up. I think Glenn will be more of a team guy than Hank was as Tate's backup.

12. RoadDog

RoadDog Member

I couldn't agree with you more. Glenn will be good mentor but if Tate falters at any point in the year Glenn is quite capable and can fill in quite nicely giving your team a chance of a win.

13. iso_55

iso_55 Member

My only concern about the Stamps is we didn't sign a single FA except Bauman (ugh!!)... We needed help defensively & did nothing to strengthen our team while other teams in the West all did. Sometimes, I think we (Stamps) get too comfortable & sit on our laurels which is wrong.

14. RoadDog

RoadDog Member

Listening to Huff lately he seems pretty optimistic they'll be able to put on a better pass rush this year with the guys coming to camp. Just maybe they'll find an Odell Willis, sans the DUI hopefully!:D

15. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Willis wore out his welcome here & in Winnipeg. You concerned the guy will be disruptive in the Rider dresssing room? He also has a habit of starting out strong & fading down the stretch...

16. RoadDog

RoadDog Member

Just as I've never been a fan of Taman I didn't like this acquisition. It's a do or die year for the both of them. Time will tell.

17. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Youhave Willis. He may be a nutcase & undisciplined but at least he can play. We have Chris Bauman. He's been in the CFL 5 years & showed he still can't play.